Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Space Chronicles - Painting Project  (Read 24120 times)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
Space Chronicles - Painting Project
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
So there I was, mulling about what to do with all of my massed array of 28mm science fiction figures when inspiration finally struck and propelled me into re-writing Blasters & Bulkheads into something that fitted my own science fiction setting a lot more. Aided with Dijit from these boards, I've then set about to paint - at the very least - one miniature (preferably more) each week in the coming year!

However, to kick start things I just finished up a couple of units and posting them here to share :D

Alliance Patrol Soldiers, 2nd Regiment, currently stationed in the New Haven Bad-Lands

Alliance Patrol Support Wardroid

Black Market Wardroid, currently in the employ of the dreaded pirate Jareiz 'The Red' ül-Harokrat in the New Haven sector.

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
Re: Space Chronicles - Painting Project
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
Nice stuff! 
What is your setting like?

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:48:56 PM »
Thanks! :)

In essence, the setting is a bit of everything; thrown into the blender and hopefully prove interesting. There are some elements within the setting that are old tropes (an ancient Imperium, some Rebels, Pirates of the Space Lanes etc.) but I think I've manage to give it all a twist?

Anyway - the basic gist of it is that following a great war (as in, a really, really, really big war that saw a whole lot of systems brought to its knees) the Known Galaxy at large is currently at "peace". At the end of the War, former planets from both the Republican side as well as the Imperial side seceeded from their former empires and banded together to form the Alliance (of Seven Dukes), centered around an 8th Planet which was to be their neutralground, called New Haven.

However, as the rebuilding progress started following the inconclusive war, an Alliance Patrol (think of it as somewhat of an UN force) ship encountered what was to be known as Gateway Pandora; a halfway point between New Haven and a "cut off" section of the Known Galaxy referred to as the Forbidden Zone.

There they found a whole host of unseen planets, ancient relics and other glorious discoveries which has led to a small colonization race for anyone in the Galaxy with enough money to travel into the Forbidden Zone and stake claims or make explorations.

The Alliance is too shorthanded and underfunded to be able to launch any meaningful expedition into this zone, so instead they attempt to bolster their coffers by the shipping prices of using the Pandora Wormhole into the new sector of the Forbidden Zone.

And, well, that's where the setting kicks off and the campaign games begin as all players create their own exploration bands and venture into the... Forbidden Zone!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:52:19 PM »
nice Strikeforce you have there  ;D i  like the Background too, reminds me of the Void Universe or Battletech  :)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »
nice Strikeforce you have there  ;D i  like the Background too, reminds me of the Void Universe or Battletech  :)

Glad to hear! I was sort of aiming at a mix'n'match of those two universes - there's a whole lot more to the setting; but it's still being typed up (and will probably be compiled into a more concrete document/webpage at some point or other :))

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:24:19 PM »
yeah,i always liked the  techy Background of Void and BT:Everything was explained how it works, be it Wartech/Civil Life or how to colonize a New World etc

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
Love the Pig Iron stuff!

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:38 AM »
even more reason for me to look forwards to our first game. Looking forwards to seeing what else you've produced too ;)
Duncan

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
417th Republican Guard Regiment - "Giant's Footstep"

"The 417th is a heavy recon/combat regiment, embedded to the 4th Republican Mecha Division. Currently deployed on Verograd IV as a response to the Verograd Uprising."

Cheers everyone for the comments!

As for what gets me to paint then I honestly don't know. I'm guessing it's got something to do with cofee, a desire to paint - and a plentora of ideas for my mish-mash setting where everything, sorta, goes. It's been rather liberating not having to consider all aspects of a given setting when sitting down to paint.

That - and the simple fact that I paint a multitude of projects for skirmish gaming :)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
Nice paint on those, but really good bases :-*

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »
I'd also say that a motivation for me (and I'm guessing you too) has been sitting painting together.
Nice to see the Republican guard finished and based - and very nicely based too.
Duncan

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »
Thanks again! I really didn't do much to it this time around; I'm guessing that I should figure out some static grass for those based with a more desert-theme in mind ???

@Dijit - Oh yes, definately helps keep the motivation going when you've got somebody to chat with while painting! :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »
Nice stuff! Do you know, perchance, who makes that second "Black Market Wardroid"? It looks awfully familiar, but I cannot pinpoint it.

Offline Torben

• Scientist

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »
Not only that, but I can give you a direct link to where you can buy it! :)

Ruddy bloody heck, that red scheme gives it a whole new identity. Never would have thought it's an Urban War Syntha. Thanks a bunch.