Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Armored Walkers  (Read 6551 times)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Walkers
« on: December 08, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »
Other then looking cool I really don't play with these things because I just don't see there usefulness on the battlefield.  Because of there small size they can't be that heavily armored and are usually only armed with light weapons.  Their height gives them away and they are prone to tipping if using realistic rules.

What say you?

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Armored Walkers
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »
What? You are asking for realism? You're on a Lead ADVENTURE forum, man!

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
Armored Walkers
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 06:06:54 PM »
Walkers are cool. Period.

Realism is out of question here...  :lol:
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Armored Walkers
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
Realism can go jump, war walkers and giant robots are cool.  :)

For examples of great walkers look at the work of Westfalia Chris and Pappa Midnight.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Armored Walkers
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 06:16:56 PM »
And at least Pappa Midnight's walkers are big enough to carry big guns and that russian one won't tip over that easily. :wink:

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Armored Walkers
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 09:24:40 PM »
Quote from: "white knight"
And at least Pappa Midnight's walkers are big enough to carry big guns and that russian one won't tip over that easily. :wink:

True,

As for walkers I'm afraid I'm showing my GW inspirations and love em! Great for scout roles, great for city fighting and infantry meat grinders. Yup weak armour but hey you can't have everything.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Walkers
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:54:20 PM »
I know they look cool but have you guys actually played with them?  I'll tell ya I'd rather have a normal armored car, tank or infantry section rather then the walker.  Their height often hampers their ability to hide and use cover effectively.  Uneven ground is rough to negotiate and their blind spots are quite larger then other armored vehicles.  I'd ranter use small power armored troops like the Warzone Vulcans.  

I like a little realism within my Weird War II as it feels and plays better.  Advance tech of this sort as well as 40s era tech often has it's limitations and problems.  We don't play that all the kinks and problems have been hammered out because using the limitations to your advantage is a sign of good tactics.  The systems we use often all for ingenious feildcraft like constructing stuff the Ewoks used in Return of the Jedi if you wanted and had the time to prepare.  A common infantry tactic is to tie off cables from tree to tree on avenues of approach causing the damed things to either get tangled up or even trip.  I've played with these things on numerous occasions with and against and just want to tell ya that they are very limited with a realistic rules set.  Remember the three characteristics of armor design: FIREPOWER, MOBILITY & PROTECTION. Low, slow & light.  

Now if your playing walkers the size of an ATAT then it wont matter.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Armored Walkers
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 11:12:09 PM »
Well, I wonder that you of all people use them against enemy armour. I´d have thought they´d be too busy hunting down Partisans and civilians to be used as Zombie production material.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Armored Walkers
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 11:18:09 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
Well, I wonder that you of all people use them against enemy armour. I´d have thought they´d be too busy hunting down Partisans and civilians to be used as Zombie production material.

or as sacrificial lambs to the slaughter of some ancient Aztec Diety, after the 27 minutes that everyone fell asleep of course.

;)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Walkers
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 11:19:26 PM »
What?  You use what you got but as a matter of choice I'd leave them out of it.  

Brian

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Armored Walkers
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 11:24:27 PM »
Quote from: "Kampfgruppe Cottrell"
What?  You use what you got but as a matter of choice I'd leave them out of it.  

Brian

That's cool mate, and in the same vein a lot of us will put em in. Same way that you've included gods, demons and angels, superheroes etc... each to his or her own in this weird world war.

;)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Walkers
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 11:37:15 PM »
I wasn't aware that replying and discussing different ideas, rules, and tactics was against the grain.  Little snide remarks and hits are fine by me I can take it.  Strange for a forum to have such a mob mentality to different ideas.  I assumed that this was a opened board for multiple rules sets, backgrounds and ideas that we all could take from.

Maybe I'm taking it different then what I read.

Brian

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Armored Walkers
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:41:57 PM »
Quote from: "Kampfgruppe Cottrell"
I wasn't aware that replying and discussing different ideas, rules, and tactics was against the grain.  Little snide remarks and hits are fine by me I can take it.  Strange for a forum to have such a mob mentality to different ideas.  I assumed that this was a opened board for multiple rules sets, backgrounds and ideas that we all could take from.

Maybe I'm taking it different then what I read.

Brian

Hang on old bean, there's no snides from me, in fairness you've made a few point blank statements that you'd leave walkers out, and other people like myself have said keep them in.

I'm just saying that well the world is just a great big onion and one person's ancient deity from beyond the stars is another person's nameless horror from the depths of the oceans.

Anyway its just little bits of metal and plastic at the end of the day so we all do what we like and everyone's a happy little army/zombie horde/mecha battalion/angelic host/demonic coven commander, (delete as appropriate).

;)

The Commander

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Armored Walkers
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »
I agree as all I was relaying was my experiences with actually playing with them with the system we use.  They could be allot more lethal in other sets but I just haven't read any reports from others who have used in their actual gaming.

Brian

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Armored Walkers
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
When I have actually built and completed a couple, I'll give it a try. I think we can all agree on the lack of real life practicality (sp?) of the walkers, but if I'm honest, I only include them because they do look cool (which is also the reason I have all the other miniatures). If that means the price I need to pay is that I'll be disadvantaged in the game, then so be it. I don't mind losing as long as fun is had. :)