Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:41:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691082
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Armored Walkers  (Read 6553 times)

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
Armored Walkers
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 10:25:06 AM »
Quote from: "white knight"
I don't mind losing as long as fun is had. :)

I wish many more thought like you... I play for fun, not for "winning at all costs"...
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Armored Walkers
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 10:32:22 AM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"
Quote from: "white knight"
I don't mind losing as long as fun is had. :)

I wish many more thought like you... I play for fun, not for "winning at all costs"...

Here with you, buddies... if I were into it for winning, I should have quit the hobby 10 years ago. But I guess itīs less of a problem with the historical crowd than those GW kids - those seem singularly unable to value the experience of simply pushing pretty toys around and having a good game.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Armored Walkers
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 10:50:49 AM »
Yeah. "Winning at all cost" doesn't mean squat if you don't have a good time. One of my fond memories from playing the Asylum game that was developped for last year's sculpting contest on our last AGM was (momentarily) defeating Pete, take all his items (weapon, handcuffs and key), leave the room we were in, lock the door behind me using the key I just took from him and wave at him through the glass. I didn't win the game, but it was great fun.

Pete told me afterwards his greatest fear was I'd use the handcuffs on him first and leave him helpless. Wish I'd thought about it...  :lol:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Armored Walkers
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 12:14:22 PM »
Personally I find walkers in a Second World War setting ridiculous (nothing to do with realism or tactics, I'm just speaking stylisticly), but I promised I wouldn't go on about it any more. Oh well. So much for that. They just break the atmosphere for me. They belong in Star Wars or Battletech and I can't see the obsession Weird War Two gamers have with them. May as well throw in Daleks, Orcs and Romans if you're having walkers as far as I see it, for any 1940s atmosphere you may have conjured in your game has already long fled the scene once the walkers are stomping about.

But that's just me, and I have no objections to seeing other peoples' lovely models being displayed here. Please don't get me wrong, whatever other folks want to do is all right by me.   :)

Found a nice Walker model here for Rich. Part of Uncle Joe's Baba Yaga Division. Top Soviet scientists are working round the clock to figure out a way to put a T-34 body in place of the cabin superstructure:

(I promise to try not to moan about WWII walkers ever again. Really, I mean it this time.)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Armored Walkers
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 12:24:01 PM »
Calm down Calm Down :D

Heres a WW2 Walker for you Polynikes to ensure we keep peace and Harmony :wink:

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Armored Walkers
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »
My Panzer Mecha has always been awful in games, it can't hide anywhere, only has one crewman and gets crunched by PIATs, Bazookas or sensible tanks in every game.

Which really is what we want from it, it's supposed to get destroyed by the Heroes, that's how these games usually go:

1.  Heroes raid enemy area.
2.  Heroes, being all heroic, start to win.
3.  Villains pull out secret weapon.  Gasp!  Shock and Awe!
4.  Heroes blow it up.
5.  Heroes head home for tea and medals.

Quote from: "Plynkes"
May as well throw in Daleks, Orcs and Romans if you're having walkers as far as I see it,

Good idea, I've been meaning to include the Daleks for a while.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
Armored Walkers
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »
You've probably guessed my view point on walkers...... :mrgreen:

I've never been one for creating a "Killer" army and prefer to field what I like to play ( and what I think looks good!).
I get my realism fix from historical stuff. The "Weird War" genre is an excuse to create some bizarre units and vehicles which I like the look of. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I get as much pleasure from creating or converting units as I do playing them! How they actually perform is always secondary for me.
I pretty much think that the stuff I'm doing at the moment will even itself out as I'm working on some Russian kit at the moment. If both sides field Mechs/Walkers then it's a little like Battletech, which is OK by me.

PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Armored Walkers
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 08:43:09 PM »
Personally I think walkers are great. They are bullet magnets but they just look so cool!

Don't forget that you could class giant dino's and apes, giant Cuthulhu mythos creatures, etc as walkers. And those huge robots in the Sky Captain films are WWW2 versions of modern/SF transformer mecha types, being that they could walk and fly, and they look fantastic.

They don't perhaps make any sense in any real world tactical sense, but neither do cavalry on uni-cycles and I think they're great too.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin