Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mini-Mortain - KGN AAR  (Read 1576 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
Mini-Mortain - KGN AAR
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
Last Friday nights game was 'Hells Highway' with 500 points aside. Myself and Gary decided to try the US Infantry list, and to make it even more testing we didnt take any armour... Just two M10s. We went up against Skip and Tom using the SS Panzer list.

For the first half og the game it went pretty much how Gary and me expected. With no mobile troops and not enough activations we got pummelled and by turn 3 both our OP teams were dead and half our armour was burning. To make matters worse, my Infantry platoon turned out to be dig in on a Kraut RTP shelling me to bits while Gary failed just about every radio test he had to make. For added insult, I drew three aircraft tokens in the first three turns... But sadly I had told Gary to drop the FAC from the list as 'I never draw aircraft tokens'. Given the Yanks get a 2+ for aircraft it would have been a huge bonus. Gary made sure to roll everytime just to check what I had missed out on...

So just as I was about to give up, we got a glimmer of hope. After unsuppressing all our troops we awaited the enemy barrage and fusilade of tank and infantry fire. Skip rolled the command dice and got a double 1. His re-roll wasnt much better and the Germans only had six activations and promptly failed to do anything. With this bonus in our turn I rolled a double six for activations and our army surged forward. Thomas now decided he better roll for activations and promptly managed a total of seven! Once again we scored very high and with everything in position we let rip...

By the end of the turn, every German MG Team was knocked-out, two tanks were burning and a whole clutch of things suppressed. This turn gave us the edge we needed and as the luck left the Germans, it came to use in spades for the remainder of the game. Bazooka teams knocked out MKIVs and the M10 led a charmed life and knocked out two MKIVs included the Panzer Commander. With a well placed artillery strike hitting home, our 155mm guns finally contributed to the party. And so for the second half of the game the US Infantry edged forward, hedgerow by hedgerow knocking out all in their path. Finally the Germans tipped over their morale and the game went to a US win... Despite us having spent the last four or five turns with only 5 morale points left!

Was an interesting game, with infantry facing down tanks and it was a real rollercoaster of a ride for both sides, going from what looked to be a total German win to utter defeat!

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Mini-Mortain - KGN AAR
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Great stuff, V! Your boards and kit always look great! What rules do you use, or is 'KGN' a hint? ???

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »
KGN = Kampfgruppe Normandy

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
Alright, thanks V. So it's a Warhammer Historical rules set? How do they work, I assume you like them? Is the rules 'engine' basically the same as in WFB/40K? Turn based and so on?

I got Force on Force rules plus the WWII card set, but I can't seem to find any WWII army lists anywhere? Any ideas where I might get some, I'd like to try them out?

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »
KGN is nothing like any other GW system.

I would suggest having a look at my older posts, I put a review up and AARs or visit my 20mm forum, it has a huge KGN section -

http://www.guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/index.php

As for F-on-F WW2... As soon as I finish working on the lists I will let ya know.  :D

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »
Nice set of miniatures you have there.

Looks like it was a close run thing - looking at the troops available in the picture I would have bet on a German win at the outset.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
KGN is nothing like any other GW system.

I would suggest having a look at my older posts, I put a review up and AARs or visit my 20mm forum, it has a huge KGN section -

http://www.guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/index.php

As for F-on-F WW2... As soon as I finish working on the lists I will let ya know.  :D

Sure, thanks V!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »
Cool looking game.
I always enjoy your posts.
Sounds like you guys, win or lose have a great time.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »

Sounds like you guys, win or lose have a great time.

Its not about the winning... Its about rubbing my mates nose in his disasterous defeat for the next week.  :D

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:17:38 AM »
Once again, a fantastic report, very good pictures of beutiful models and terrain. You must have an unending and vast imagination and a huge pool of inspiration to draw from.

I am very jelous of your wargaming sessions, and will work hard to achive the same standard (I have fantastic friends in my gaming group, so it will happend, sooner or later :))
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar