Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 17th century ship guns  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
17th century ship guns
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
I was at the world famous Vasa museum of Stockholm earlier this week with our Fivers and our CanO'Beer and after successfully preventing them from reducing this national treasure to splinters...

... I regaled myself with something from the gift shop...

A bit of a find I think, at €3 a pop. Nicely detailed to. I thought I put them on new carriages for TWY use but now I think they wont look quite right. So I may be willing to part with them if anyone's interested.

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
Re: 17th century ship guns
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
Vasa museum was really amazing. I went there in 2007 in a schooltrip. First thing I saw in Sweeden. Lovely place for modellers  ;D
Lovely cannons too, I'd like one but I think shipping would make them not so cheap...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:18:06 PM »
Those look splendid
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:15:21 PM »
Those are very nice looking guns.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »
Yes, they are nice guns - are they 1:48 or 1:50 scale?

Might they also be useful for 30 Years War fortress pieces or as naval guns landed and used in a siege battery?

I wonder if the Museum shop has an online store, even though the guns do seem a bit ornate for ordinary ships...

Long ago, my father had visited the museum and bought a larger-scale (1:12 or so?) gun model, with a wooden carriage and trucks, bronze barrel, and iron fittings. It did seem to be from the same design, though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:42:36 PM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »

Might they also be useful for 30 Years War fortress pieces or as naval guns landed and used in a siege battery?

I wonder if the Museum shop has an online store, even though the guns do seem a bit ornate for ordinary ships...

Long ago, my father had visited the museum and bought a larger-scale (1:12 or so?) gun model, with a wooden carriage and trucks, bronze barrel, and iron fittings. It did seem to be from the same design, though.

They are 1/50. I checked the shop and there is no online store. I suppose one could always give them a ring.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »

How on earth can they be TOO ornate for a ship when they are copies of cannons from a... ship? Do remember that Sweden was one of the absolute largest sea nations of this time competing with england and the like, so I am sure that they made one or two ship cannons.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
How on earth can they be TOO ornate for a ship when they are copies of cannons from a... ship? Do remember that Sweden was one of the absolute largest sea nations of this time competing with england and the like, so I am sure that they made one or two ship cannons.

I wrote "...ordinary ships..." with emphasis newly-added.

Before assuming that a poster is an idiot, please be sure to re-read what he wrote, and ensure that you understand correctly...  ;)

I had thought that, since the Vasa was a royal ship, her guns (their barrels, actually) might have been a bit more ornate than the guns on ordinary vessels, regardless of their nationality.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:46:29 PM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »

I had thought that, since the Vasa was a royal ship, her guns (their barrels, actually) might have been a bit more ornate than the guns on ordinary vessels, regardless of their nationality.

Indeed she was. The term is regalskepp, a definition reserved for ships named by the riksregalia, like The Crown, The Scepter, The Orb (Riksäpplet) etc. Wasen (Modern Vasa, Eng. The Faggot?) was the emblem of the dynasty.

I am sure many of the guns (Vasa was one of the most heavily armed ships of her time) were captured or ordered from abroad. The Swedish gun mmanufacturing of the time was not shabby but could not meet the demands.

I *think* the the souvenir guns are copies of a barrel salvaged from the wreck.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:49:04 PM by Hammers »

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
This is a find for sure! I might just have to give them a ring...
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
As a Nautical Archaeologist the Vasa is like Mecca for me...I will make it there some day...one of my professors from grad school is now the head of the research department at the Vasa Museum and has offered me a behind the scenes tour...if I can just find the money to get to Stockholm!

The guns look great.

Cheers,

Blue

My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
As a Nautical Archaeologist the Vasa is like Mecca for me...I will make it there some day...one of my professors from grad school is now the head of the research department at the Vasa Museum and has offered me a behind the scenes tour...if I can just find the money to get to Stockholm!

The guns look great.

Cheers,

Blue

I am sure you are aware that the Balitc is littered with well preserved ships of impressive  age. Every fall there a re new reports of new finds. Most recently there was a talk of the 14th century Dutch kegg  not far from where I live, standing on its keel with masts intact. These finds are rarely brought to the surface these days mainly because they are better preserved at the bottom of the Baltic where there's no shipworm and no oxygen. (Mixed blessing, that oxygen bit...)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »
Wow! Those are something I could use. Some of the guns mouted on Forte de Santo Antônio are of that ornate style. If you decide to let them go I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »
They've been spoken for but I'll get you some new ones if you are not in a hurry.