Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Zulu War project- Rules available for a modest fee (page 10)  (Read 34275 times)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: My Zulu War project
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »
Thanks for the info but I'm having straight walls so it fits into my building size templates. Luckily I'm making a wargames building not a scale model so I can happily ignore any difficult or inconvenient features like this :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
Hurrah! More British colonials on the horizon!

Interesting choice of minis. Redoubt minis take a lot of heat because they are somewhat larger than your standard 28mm, but they have lots of poses, are very well priced and IMO, a lot easier to paint than most.

I'll be starting a British army in the near future for my VSF gang and I have to admit because I am a cavalry nut, Empress won me over. Nevertheless, they are sooo detailed they will take me 3 times more time to paint than the Redoubt ones.

So I'm really looking forward to see your progress. It will probably be finished before mine has even got off the ground!    :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
Redoubt minis are somewhat larger than your standard 28mm, they have lots of poses, are very well priced and a lot easier to paint than most.

I've paraphrased a little but you've hit the nail on the head :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
I've posted the rules, no diagrams or pictures yet but the basics are all present.
http://www.matakishi.com/zuluwarrules.htm

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My Zulu War project- now with rules (page 2)
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 03:26:04 AM »
Looks like you have a good start on this project.  I'm also looking at a Zulu project for 2012 with a few friends inspired by Warlord Games and Empresses excellent figures.  We will have to give your rules a try.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Matthew83

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »
Matakishi,

Forgive my previous post, I have it on good authority that the photo I spoke of earlier has now been confirmed as post-battle and as such my post was incorrect.

My apologies for the misinformation, I look forward to seeing the fruition of your fine work.

Matt
2012 Paint tally
6mm: 920 purchased 239 painted
15mm: 170 purchased 2 painted
20mm: 40  purchased 109 painted
28mm: 213 purchased 10 painted

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »
Research is always a good thing and if I thought an annex to the stores was a good thing I'd have used it regardless :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 12:13:29 AM »
I ahve to admire your single-mindedness when you do a period.  Costing it down to an exact amount.  I imagine most of us just buy loads of shinies...............
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 10:39:44 AM »
If I don't plan I don't know when I've finished :)

I have to start with a set of rules so I can work out the sizes of the forces involved. This lets me know how many figures I need and of what type so I can then spend some happy hours scouring the internet to see who makes suitable miniatures and what poses etc are available. I can then amend the number and composition of units, depending on the pack sizes the figures come in, if necessary to cut down wastage and finally I can hit the 'buy now' button.

After a short wait a parcel or two will arrive and I can spread everything out on the worktop to see the true size of the undertaking. It's at this point that I decide what to paint and when. Usually I'll try to do simple bulk troops first; I'll definitely be doing the Zulus first with this project. This will take a big chunk of the pile away very quickly and start to fill up the 'finished' drawer, I find this helps to keep me motivated.

Eventually everything that arrived will be finished, I try to keep the original planned sizes down to something I can comfortably complete in a month or two so that newer shiny stuff doesn't distract me too much. I may have bought some extras as I went along too, this does happen as ideas occur, but since they are extras I don't fret if they never get painted and more often than not they get done without becoming a chore simply because there's no pressure on me to do them.

At any rate the table is clear so I'm finished. I can sit back secure in the knowledge that I have a 'complete' usable set of matched wargames armies and suitable terrain to use them on. No uncertainty, no niggling doubts and I can immediately turn my attention to the next 'best idea ever' with a clear conscience.

Stress-free wargaming the Matakishi way :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »
If I don't plan I don't know when I've finished :)

I have to start with a set of rules so I can work out the sizes of the forces involved. This lets me know how many figures I need and of what type so I can then spend some happy hours scouring the internet to see who makes suitable miniatures and what poses etc are available. I can then amend the number and composition of units, depending on the pack sizes the figures come in, if necessary to cut down wastage and finally I can hit the 'buy now' button.

After a short wait a parcel or two will arrive and I can spread everything out on the worktop to see the true size of the undertaking. It's at this point that I decide what to paint and when. Usually I'll try to do simple bulk troops first; I'll definitely be doing the Zulus first with this project. This will take a big chunk of the pile away very quickly and start to fill up the 'finished' drawer, I find this helps to keep me motivated.

Eventually everything that arrived will be finished, I try to keep the original planned sizes down to something I can comfortably complete in a month or two so that newer shiny stuff doesn't distract me too much. I may have bought some extras as I went along too, this does happen as ideas occur, but since they are extras I don't fret if they never get painted and more often than not they get done without becoming a chore simply because there's no pressure on me to do them.

At any rate the table is clear so I'm finished. I can sit back secure in the knowledge that I have a 'complete' usable set of matched wargames armies and suitable terrain to use them on. No uncertainty, no niggling doubts and I can immediately turn my attention to the next 'best idea ever' with a clear conscience.

Not THAT is very sound reasoning!

I will be following your mantra in future, to the best of my abilities.

Having decided to embark on VSF, I was quite orderly at the start; I knew what I wanted and slowly got things together, scouring the net for the exact things I was after, and then it all went to pot!

I started with the idea of doing the Japanese, was then seduced by the Brits, and have now started accumalating CSA, FSA and a few Ottaman Empire pieces....Grrrrrrr!

I need more structure!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »

lol

One of the reasons we love your projects!  :-*

Where I always fall down is on the terrain side, something you really excel at!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »
Here's the store building. Write up tomorrow and hopefully the thatching too.

http://www.matakishi.com/zuluwarbuildings.htm

I have a set of outside steps to make to give access to the top door but they won't take long.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: My Zulu War project- Both Rorke's Drift buildings made (page 2)
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »
I've posted the write up so full instructions for both buildings are complete. I'm off to paint and thatch them now so the final part will follow shortly.
http://www.matakishi.com/zuluwarbuildings.htm

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »
It happens I'm in South Africa now and was in KwaZulu Natal not that long ago. The thatched roofing in this country, including in KZN, is very much darker than one expects or usually sees in gaming models and it gets dark quite quickly. When installed the grass starts a typical straw colour but after a season or so it is ends up a very dark grey-brown.  I'm not up on the history of Rorke's mission but if those buildings were more than a few months old at the time of the battle I suggest a dark colour with only a medium highlight on the roof thatch.

I've not yet been to the site but it is on my list of 'must see before I leave'.

An unsolicited tip you may take or leave as you will.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
Dark thatch it is.

WIP shot obviously, highlighting to follow once the roofs are dry and trimmed to size.