Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690821
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 532
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Noble Ogre/Troll Chief? Another new figure question  (Read 4926 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Noble Ogre/Troll Chief? Another new figure question
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »
You guys were very helpful last time (I know I picked a figure I found myself, but I found it while searching for figures you folks suggested AND you suggested two more figures I needed for other things), so here I am asking for suggestions again after looking at dozens of minis makers without success.

So another figure I need is a sort of noble troll or ogre chieftain for a band of mercenaries.

My main requirements are:
- A big stocky type
- 30/32mm (30/32mm SCALE scale that is - this would be a "big" guy, so I'm sure it's real height will be more)
- Must show intelligence, unlike most ogres, trolls etc.
- No mouth tusks or horribly oversized lower jaw.
- Rough gear, similar to Conan, or perhaps a bit more clothed/armoured. Either is fine. No "drooling caveman" stuff though (wooden clubs, a big bone, etc.).
- Better quality sculpts is desirable (well, showing intelligence is tougher, so that sort if inherently requires better sculpting anyway)

This conversion of King Maulg is just about perfect - shows you exactly what I'm looking for - but the big problem is that King Maulg is a 54mm figure (booooo-urns), so no good for me! :( :( :(  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:20:14 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Noble Ogre/Troll Chief? Another new figure question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:39:11 AM »
A couple of GW's ogres might work, although they may be a bit too tusky.  I really like this first fellow, in particular (posting links in GW's case, not pictures, since I understand they are touchy about that sort of thing):

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat670013a&prodId=prod1320022a

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat670013a&prodId=prod1320024a

Unfortunately, I think the chests may be molded to the second fellow.  They new resin versions are more pricey than the original, but you could probably track the metal ones down.

Here is a nice Hasslefree figure - probably too armored and tusky, but a nice figure:

Otherworld miniatures:

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:26:10 AM »
I'm not against GW figures per se, but GW ogres have a very distinctive and grotesque character, thanks to their FAT HUNGRY GUYS fiction and the Avatars of war figure kind of falls under that. They're also quite a bit larger than I'm looking for (GW ogres are BIG!). The hasslefree figure is neat, but yeah, he's a bit too orky-tusky-spiky no matter which iteration you assemble. I'm not against armour at all (a helmet and some light torso armour and/or a tunic are just fine!), but not full plate.

Some nice figures, just not quite "there".

For what it's worth, I'm also willing to assemble a figure from various bits. It may be that if I can get a good head, I can find a body that'll work from among the more savage "regular" ogre/troll/big orc types.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:33:30 AM by FramFramson »

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »
There's also this fellow from Otherworld.

he stands at 50mm though which might be too tall for you?
Lovely figure, I've got him half painted here now. :)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
I vote for this guy, but I'm a huge fan of this style:

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:13:50 AM »
So I went back and looked at the figure I'm replacing (this is for the replacement of an atrocious-quality stock figure) and realized that this sort-of-ogre species/race is only slightly larger than regular humans. So maybe in the 35mm-38mm range, if you're going with 30/32mm humans.

So, it's more that a really stocky, large human would do. But it can't obviously look like just a large human. A half-orc or something would probably do.

The main thing is that intelligent, "leader" look, which is usually absent from big bruiser types - human OR orc/troll/etc. Again, there's probably a lot of bodies I could use (i.e. headswap), it's the face/head that are key.

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »
how about some of these guys?

I reckon the two middle ones.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:03:23 AM »
That troll in the first post would look good in a Scandinavian fantasy setting (recently made known as 'Skägglav' or 'Treemoss'). Perhaps a with a nose job, i.e. enlargement.

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
While the op's sample model captures the "noble" qualities of a troll or ogre character that certainly is unique sentiment for the creature archtype we're dealing with here- especially in the miniatures available for typical fantasy settings.

also its too big? that is certainly a tough order to fill!

here are my two suggestions after your "half-orc" narrowing.

or

both redbox games:
http://red-box-games.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24&zenid=46fcc9d400822672dfb1901b609278ea

They are literal half orcs, slightly oversized jaw, but no tusks. Armed in such a manner to make conan proud, and while not familiar with red box's scaling- I'd  imagine these fellows to be taller than a standard human- but perhaps still short of the 32mm mark.

They have the ogre quality down, still looking human...ish, but definitely standing apart. They don't look much like your OP sample though. But are you looking for an ogre look or a troll look? OP's sample is far more a troll, while I believe ever subsequent post has been in the ogre field- imho anyway. I find there to be slight differences between the two, trolls having a more fey like quality- if not distorted there of; i.e. fairy tale fantasy. While ogres are more degenerated human stock, if not in actuality at least with practicality of aesthetics.  

follow the link to see more of the "half-blood" characters. if you like these suggestions, there are more miniatures to fill in different roles within a community. gnarled bearded half bloods with staves. viziers and shamans, mmm mmm.

good luck with the project, and if you're still not having luck try to narrow down the ogre vrs. troll look and perhaps post some concept art or illustrations from the material (if any!) you're drawing the inspiration from for your setting. while its very impressive if this all your own creation, its always very difficult to translate whats in your head!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:27:59 AM by fanfavorite »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
I have looked through Red-Box's offerings before and while those two caught my eye, they're actually about the same size as his regular humans, which makes them look even more out of scale than his human/elf figures. The real height of those figs is about 28mm. Also, they have a much more "thuggish" look than that of a leader.

Going by your description, I guess I'm looking for something more troll-ish? Or maybe half-troll-half ogre? A big-ish nose is actually fine, as most of the other minis I am trying to match have them. Really, a lot of minis makers will blur the line between trolls, orcs, and ogres, so I was trying not to exclude any mini that might fit visually but be labelled something else.

This is a real tough one, I know. Most "monster" races will normally be played to stereotype. I've almost never seen any with the placid, almost tragic face that Maulg has.

EDIT: One thing to add is that the least important thing is the gear. The race (don't have any old concept images, there never was much), is basically a primitive tribal race of rock-throwers, with a few "civilized" specimens. The figure I'm looking to replace - a mercenary captain who has vastly exceeded the expectations for anyone of his race - could have anything from boots, loincloth, and sword, to full adventuring gear in mostly-good condition. It's the face that's key. That's why I keep going on about being willing to do head swaps.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:10:58 PM by FramFramson »

Offline alrith72

• Librarian

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 03:25:57 AM »
How about the Ogre Penitent from WOC D&D Chainmail line of figs? It's a great fig, and not too big, size-wise.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »
If you really like the king Maulg figure maybe you should visit Alan Carrasco's website http://www.allancarrasco.net/ his portfolio is arranged by company so you might Stoke it lucky after some clicking....

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »
Reaper has some that would fit the bill, I'm sure. Tried using their "Figure Finder" utility?