Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Idea for dismounted cavalry  (Read 1683 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
Idea for dismounted cavalry
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:51:52 AM »
First, a question, then an idea.  Contributions would be appreciated regarding both:

1.  Who makes 15mm horses without riders?  I'd like something that could fit, say, the 18th- early 20th centuries, or anywhere therein.  I'm not a button counter.

2. I have an idea for dismounted cavalry that I think might work fairly well.

My figs are based 18mm square for infantry, and 25mm square for cavalry.  I would like to paint some horses in a fairly generic manner, and base them on an "L shape" that would fit part way around an 18mm infantry base, turning the whole into a 25mm cavalry base at need.

---------------------
|                 |       |
|                 |  H   |
|                 |  O   |
|    TROOP   |  R   |
|                 |  S   |
|                 |  E   |
|-------------|       |
|                         |
|                         |
---------------------

Assuming that illo turns out at all, I think you get the point.  Thus, a foot battalion could be turned into a dismounted horse battalion at need.  This would obviously not have universal application, but it could be very versatile for such troops as British irregulars, Boers, Arabs, Basmachi, Cowboys, Red Indians, etc.  It would also be useful for small skirmishes or roleplaying games, where you really don't want to spend extra time and money getting a mounted and dismounted version of the same figure, but would like to be able to indicate has status as horsed or afoot.

To have any verisimilitude, I'd want a standing or walking horse.  Anybody make such, separate from riders?

Thanks

While this would
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:54:50 AM by gloriousbattle »

Offline Jim French

• Librarian
Re: Idea for dismounted cavalry
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »
Not sure about 15mm, but you could ck a model railroad store for HO horses [about 18mm].

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »
Old Glory 15's ACW dismounted cavalry.  If you give the Steves' a buzz they would probably send you a whole pack of just the horses.

http://oldglory15s.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=201_207&products_id=850

Like the idea of the "L" base.  Hope that helps.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »
Don't know if you can buy horses without riders, but most cavalry come with separate rider/mount. Depending on how much money you have and how much waste you can tolerate you should be able to get some horses alone.

I would recommend emailing manufacturer you are interested in and just ask if it is possible to buy the horses alone. Stanger things have been accepted when I have asked for special tweaks in orders.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
Don't know if you can buy horses without riders, but most cavalry come with separate rider/mount. Depending on how much money you have and how much waste you can tolerate you should be able to get some horses alone.

I would recommend emailing manufacturer you are interested in and just ask if it is possible to buy the horses alone. Stanger things have been accepted when I have asked for special tweaks in orders.

Good idea.  I'll look into that.