Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Apoc Auto Duels  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Post-Apoc Auto Duels
« on: December 10, 2007, 02:21:57 PM »
So, I played Dark Future a lot back in the day, and see that GW has put the rules up as a pdf. This has got me thinking about building some post-apoc terrain and inviting some friends over for some car wars.

I recall DF only really working with two players. I tend to have 4-6 over to game. Also, I remember DF being kind of clunky. Have the car wars rulesets evolved much in the past 20 years?  Which game would be the best to get involved with?

Oh yeah, looking for matchbox scale here.

Thanks!

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
Post-Apoc Auto Duels
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 02:05:47 AM »
Well, as far as I can tell then neither DF nor Car Wars have evolved much since back in the day. Both of them are still rather 'clunky' in their design, and neither of them allow for tabletop gaming with terrain - well, unless you'd build the highway from DF in scale terrain ;)

However, seeing as the Post-Apocalypse is a genre very near and dear to my heart then I'd like to present a couple of online freebie games that I've found in my search for anything post-apocalyptic:

Axle and Alloys which should be one of the best car war tabletop games out there. I have yet to play it, but it does look promising. Oh, and it's free as well - can't beat the price ;)

Otherwise I also found this little homebrew over on the Drunkdwarves homepage. It looks like a fun little game, as does this homebrew: Road Warriors

Finally, I've personally made some modifications for the No Limits wargame called, funnily enough, Road Warriors - but I'm not sure that it is what you are looking for as the game was designed around a campaign game with small gang-skirmishes and the occasional road war.

Anyway - hope these links will help you out in deciding for a post-apoc-car-mayhem game :)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Post-Apoc Auto Duels
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 03:38:31 AM »
I two use to play the old Car Wars back in the day and made a mod for the system we play now.  We tried it out on a car chase in WWII between a Opel Blitz that was stolen by a group of Brit Paras and had a German Kfz 1 and another Opel Blitz in pursuit.  We were driving at night and in a Weird War II environment so we made random events that could happen on the road like a dead cow in the road or a burnt out tank or even a large group of zombies.  Not surprising but the Brits pulled it off when they got their Brens to the rear and opened up on the Kfz 1 but the truck survived several peppering but ultimately met it's end when the Brits rolled well enough to evade a burnt out Panther on a curve but the Germans rolled bad and plowed right into that thing with a huge fireball!  

What's great, is that you don't need much board, scenery or models to have one Hell of a ride with games like this.
Keep it WEIRD!