Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who Games/collects Napoleon in Egypt?  (Read 32093 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Re: Who Games/collects Napoleon in Egypt?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
I had forgotten about that set. Does SDS have stats for Ottomans?

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »
There are stats for the Ottomans in the "More Drums and Shakos" supplement.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
I just got that issue of Wargames Illustrated. Nice, but brief, little discussion of the subject. Would love to do some skirmish gaming as suggested, but at a really small level--say on par with Chaos in Cairo. Thought about Sharpe Practice, but I'd rather do like 10-20 figs rather than 30-40. And I wouldn't be averse to throwing in the occasional mummy either  ;)

Sharp Practice would work fine. I have played games with units of 4-6 figures each with no problem and very similar results.

Offline ahpincis

• Bookworm
  • Harvey
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »
Though my main interest in Napoleonics has been Borodino, I'm getting drawn in to Egypt more and more....
Dievs, svētī Latviju!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 03:13:18 PM »
Painted some sailors from the Brigade Games Napoleon in Egypt range...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=40047.0

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »
@Arthur, I think some of your 'wants' list have actually been done...at least the last time I checked the Brigade Games site.

Nope, they haven't. There are two command packs in regulation habit, but only one in Kleber uniforms. Ditto for the grenadiers : there's one pack in attacking poses but the march attack grenadiers to complement pack NF011 have yet to be released along with the artillery crews in Kleber uniforms.

One minor historical quibble regarding the Kleber uniform grenadiers is that Paul chose to sculpt them all in plumed bicornes rather than casquettes à pouf. I suspect this is because he used the famous Chasseriau drawing below as his main source :

Nothing wrong with that as this is the only known contemporary rendition of French troops in Kleber uniforms (the men were sketched after landing in Marseilles courtesy of the Royal Navy in 1801). However, some of the uniform details are peculiar to the 88th line demi-brigade to which these men belong : their coats have pointed cuffs which were otherwise worn by the four light infantry demi-brigades only, all line infantry units having round cuffs except the 88th. The bicorne also doesn't seem to have been universal among elite companies as many grenadiers and light infantry carabiniers opted for the leather casquette instead.  

Time permitting, I may do a review of the Brigade Napoleon in Egypt range here as this is a sub-period close to my heart.  

Offline ahpincis

• Bookworm
  • Harvey
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
It may be worth remarking that usually one can't beat paintings for fair accuracy. It would be great to have more than one source naturally, but the cuffs are consistent on all the figures and would seem not an invention....

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
Well, I'm not saying Paul invented them, of course, merely that pointed cuffs were worn by the 2nd, 4th, 21st and 22nd light demi-brigades and the 88th line demi-brigade, whereas the nine remaining line demi-brigades all had rounded cuffs. The Chasseriau drawing is one of the very few contemporary documents showing a demi-brigade in its Kleber uniform - in this case the 88th -, but the army as a whole is pretty well documented, notably through the works of Rigo who produced quite a few plates on Bonaparte's Egyptian expedition.  

Offline ahpincis

• Bookworm
  • Harvey
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
Arthur, I was not accusing you of suggesting that Paul did, merely that paintings are a reliable guide to go on. In fact, at last night's lecture on Safavid and Mughal figurative textiles, it was easy to compare the actual articles  (some being cloaks of honour and therefore preserved) with paintings of them.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
I just noticed that a new article has been posted to the Napoleon Series that might be of interest. It is a listing of units and strengths for the Armee de l'Orient at a couple of points in the campaign based on La Jonquiere's five volume work.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »
Sorry for resurrecting this, but I have been considering taking my French Napoleonics in a new direction. Many searches keep coming back to this topic, especially because of the pdf at Napoleon-series on the Army of the Orient.

Something that I am considering is the "Unified Terrain Initiative" - how many armies can I make around desert or beach type terrain, with buildings, palms, etc, all working as one uniform set of terrain? Space and money will be saved. One board or set of terrain tiles will be required.

My projects:

ECW - hmmm, doesn't seem to fit, at all!

Napoleonics - I headed off towards Leipzig with these, so obviously a bit of a wrong direction if I want the UTI to work. But I have Russians, which fought the Ottomans in 1810-11 so could be argued that the Ottomans might cross over. New French to be required. New British, and a bit of work to boot, to make these happen. Possible.

Nap Naval - easy to make my navies work around the Nile. Perfect!

Soudan - Perfect!

WW2 - 101 Airborne. Put them away. Painted. Could flog.
Sikhs, Desert Rats, Fallschirmajager - Perfect!
BEF, French, EW Germans. Hmmm. Transform to the desert? But what about my BEF?

My 1955 UFO Invasion of Alberta. There is a nice desert in Manitoba, with a strange water feature called the Devil's Punchbowl - so, check! They work.

Yom Kippur - Perfect!

So looks like I am most of the way there.

Just need to get rid of my "wrong" French, and pick up Ottomans and British. Just ...
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline ahpincis

• Bookworm
  • Harvey
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Egypt is of interest to me and the Imperial adventures that happened there. Has to be said that the terrain does vary considerably - also in the Sudan. There is sure a hell of amount of desert but quite an amount of agricultural land as well. Best wishes on the project though.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2013, 01:28:35 AM »
And we still need Brigade Games and the über-busy Paul Hicks to produce a second infantry command pack in Kleber uniforms along with some artillery crews also in Kleber uniforms...

Well, you can't blame me for trying...  :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2013, 03:21:42 AM »
And we still need Brigade Games and the über-busy Paul Hicks to produce a second infantry command pack in Kleber uniforms along with some artillery crews also in Kleber uniforms...

Well, you can't blame me for trying...  :D

Artillery! That seems to be tougher to find. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do about them, yet.

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
Egypt will be my next napoleonic project (not before 2014! :'()

for the same reason than grant, i will use terrain and some minis for other periods !

and i like mameluks so much! (and emigrant's regiments in brittish service!)

cordialement
paco