Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Flames of War Red Bear review  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Re: Flames of War Red Bear review
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »
I don't suppose if you (or any other Laffer) knows if the Polish AK list has been changed at all?

Offline eastern barbarian

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »
I dont have compariosn mate, so I wouldn't know. They have Fate of the Nation now, so that has been changed for sure. Other than that ask and I will try to asnwer (don't have a book with me though so no point values questions as I won't be able to help).

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »
I dont have compariosn mate, so I wouldn't know. They have Fate of the Nation now, so that has been changed for sure. Other than that ask and I will try to asnwer (don't have a book with me though so no point values questions as I won't be able to help).

Fate of Nations? Is that different to 'for your freedom and ours'?

What I want to know more than anything is if the Poles can take any greater support. Previously you could take a single captured tank, a soviet infantry company and, very oddly, 6 German 105mm guns.

Thanks for the help.

Marx

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
I haven't yet bothered to buy Red Bear for a single list, i.e. the AK, but I did leaf through it in a local shop. It would seem that the AK have gained in flexibility, perhaps because the list has been made more upwardly-scaleable. For example, more Kedyw companies are available than in the PDF list, and the armoured car platoon can now be taken in addition to the tank platoon. I did not notice what happened to "Kubus", though.

On the other hand, the Sicherungs have been homogenized in Grey Wolf, and the Warsaw Uprising Sicherungs lost quite a few options in the process, including the static rocket launchers and the radio control tank platoon. In fact, there is no longer a Warsaw Uprising Sicherungs list.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 04:00:48 PM »
I haven't yet bothered to buy Red Bear for a single list, i.e. the AK, but I did leaf through it in a local shop. It would seem that the AK have gained in flexibility, perhaps because the list has been made more upwardly-scaleable. For example, more Kedyw companies are available than in the PDF list, and the armoured car platoon can now be taken in addition to the tank platoon. I did not notice what happened to "Kubus", though.

On the other hand, the Sicherungs have been homogenized in Grey Wolf, and the Warsaw Uprising Sicherungs lost quite a few options in the process, including the static rocket launchers and the radio control tank platoon. In fact, there is no longer a Warsaw Uprising Sicherungs list.

Hey thanks.

Amazon currently has Red Bear for sale for £22 (rather than £30) so I might get it as a treat for myself - even if I'm only likely to use a few of the lists.

I was hoping that Battlefront would do their usual 'bending of the past' to make the Ak a viable list to actually play.  Sounds like they have, so I'm happy. I hope that Kubus is still in the list (just for the sake of its characterful nature) although I cant see them bringing out a model.

As I understand it Battlefront is planning on Publishing a PDF for the Warsaw Sicherungs at some point.

Thanks for the info.

Marx

Offline eastern barbarian

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 04:13:25 AM »
Ok, first of all you can take i think up to 6 troops choices and 5 of them can be Kedyw- so you can make elite AK force if you like ;)

Second of all as far as support goes:  home built mortars or captured Kraut mortars, antitank battery of up to 2 captured pak40s or up to 3 captured pak38s.

Armoured platoon can be either: 2 panthers, tiger +panzer IV, hetzer

In the same bracket you got assault platoon with two captured sdkfz 251 (one of which can be upgraded to Kubus)

Additionally you can take armoured car unit (two sdkfz 222s) from separate box)

There is artillery battery of up to 6 big guns (but operated by conscript crew so not a big chance of hitting things ha ha)

and obviously Polish strelkovy platoons with options for some PTRDs and 45mm anti-tank guns.

All in all it looks like its much better force now. And sicherungs should be getting PDF at some point in future.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Ok, first of all you can take i think up to 6 troops choices and 5 of them can be Kedyw- so you can make elite AK force if you like ;)

Second of all as far as support goes:  home built mortars or captured Kraut mortars, antitank battery of up to 2 captured pak40s or up to 3 captured pak38s.

Armoured platoon can be either: 2 panthers, tiger +panzer IV, hetzer

In the same bracket you got assault platoon with two captured sdkfz 251 (one of which can be upgraded to Kubus)

Additionally you can take armoured car unit (two sdkfz 222s) from separate box)

There is artillery battery of up to 6 big guns (but operated by conscript crew so not a big chance of hitting things ha ha)

and obviously Polish strelkovy platoons with options for some PTRDs and 45mm anti-tank guns.

All in all it looks like its much better force now. And sicherungs should be getting PDF at some point in future.

Hey. Thanks for such a precise 'whats what' of the new Briefing. The option for a full force of Kedyw is so very incredibly appealing. An army of panzerfausts!

I'm glad they have 'fixed' the captured Armour platoon. Its such a very characterful unit and now its set to be a heck of a lot more playable in game. Fits history a fair bit better too. Particularly the armored cars.

6 Howetzers is still silly in any game.

I think that Im getting a copy of the book for my Birthday in the new year. :)

Thanks again!

Marx.