Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:53:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report: The Shadow of Koles Lorr - Epilogue (25.04.2012)  (Read 10073 times)

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Re: Battle Report: The Shadow of Koles Lorr - Turn 1 (05.02.2012)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »
Thank you all, for your very, very kind words. We do it all for you. Well, not all for you. Actually, we do it mainly for us. But you can watch...

@Timbor: For the movement and stuff, there is a post on my blog explaining the basics required. You can see that here. I can't speak for Blue, but I use Snagit to draw out my orders, not much different from those Dreamfish produced above, but the comments are more along the lines of 'slayers 3" forward, trying to get out of the way of the bolt thrower' for instance. It's up to Dreamfish to do the rest. Also, Dreamfish (and his family) is the proud owner of the figures (and the table) you see being used. A note on the table, by the way - check out his blog, where one of the most spectacular tables in the world is coming along beautifully.

@Nightmask: You, sir, are a man of taste and discernement. Where are you based and where do you play?

@Thantsants & thebinnman, lovely to see the inspiration spreading. In the absence of physical games (one day, hopefully, there will be a WFB3 roadshow, but until then...) we are always happy to have people in for the remote games. When we get to the next one, I'll keep you chaps in mind. You can contribute as well - if you happen to have two painted warhammer armies, a safe (from kids, pets and enthusiastic house wives) gaming table that can keep the figures for about two months and a camera, you might be able to help us out, because we're running out of painted armies :)

As for the writing, Mr Thantsants, always bear in mind that you inspired me to start this, so any emulation you may practice is a massive affirmation for me! Please, be my guest!

@everyone else - thanks for the appreciation! For those striving to change their games to like these - don't take no for an answer! The next time your opponent says, 'no, let's not play a scenario, let's just line up and kill each other', protest by packing your figures right up and refusing to let them out until something changes!
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!
Also interested in any old 80's Citadel figures you may want to get rid of.

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
What a nice report! I really like the mixture of battlefield overviews, detail shots of the combatants and the highly entertaining fluff.
 :-*

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »
WFB3 roadshow - that sounds like a blast!

Wonder if GW would host the event in their stores?  lol

You can contribute as well - if you happen to have two painted warhammer armies, a safe (from kids, pets and enthusiastic house wives) gaming table that can keep the figures for about two months and a camera, you might be able to help us out, because we're running out of painted armies

You've probably seen most of my fantasy stuff through Orc's Drift so I'll have to get painting - got a load of Wood Elves, Goblins and a burgeoning Undead/Chaos warband languishing in the queue.

Mind you the next project involves Slann, Amazons, Norsemen and a cut and shut job on the Magnificent Svenn and Rigg's shrine scenarios.  :D

My table may be a little small however...

... and I haven't started painting any of it yet...  ::)

Anyway - hope the Orcs don't underestimate those devious little gits - they can prove pretty tough opponents, especially when skulking behing barricades and the like! 

Not that I'm biased at all. >:D

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 03:09:50 AM »
This was hilarious! Very enjoyable. Good on you guys for haveing the balls to go ahead with this massive undertaking. I picked up a copy of the 3rd edition rulebook a few weeks ago and haven't been able to put it down!

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
wonderful report!  :-*
Love the atmosphere of 3ed! And I think that is really a beautiful thing that you people are gaming across the continents in these remote games :)
Keep going!

cheers
Faber

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »
@Thantsants - Don't worry, I've been keeping a keen eye on your 'facilities'...

As for the roadshow, in all serious, I do think we could organise an event at Warhammer World, if all the figures were able to be traced to citadel at some junction in history. I imagine they would be quite interested, actually. When I'm more able to focus on that, I'll float that idea properly.

@Christian & Faber - thanks again, fella's - really appreciate the love.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »

As for the roadshow, in all serious, I do think we could organise an event at Warhammer World, if all the figures were able to be traced to citadel at some junction in history. I imagine they would be quite interested, actually. When I'm more able to focus on that, I'll float that idea properly.

Hmmm very interesting Mr Bond....  :D

Just had a look at their site and you might be onto something there - the castle courtyard gaming area looks a bit twee though!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 03:49:50 AM »
Great to such a good response to Weazil and Dreamfish's hard work and creativity.  I'm really reaping the benefit of their efforts...and having a blast doing it.  The game is off to a good start and is actually not as complicated as you might imagine. 

Though the thing I'm really missing is being able to get down to table level and seeing what my lads are seeing...:)

...and if you like what you seen so far...just wait for round two!!!  ;)

Cheers,

Blue

My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline generulpoleaxe

• Librarian
    • Myrmidon Studio
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:05 AM »
Still waiting :D

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Re: Battle Report: The Shadow of Koles Lorr - Turn 3 (12.02.2012)
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »
Many people died to bring you this report.

Dwarves, specifically.

This is where things were after Turn 1:

The Movement Phase

Both forces continued forward, as aggressively as possible. So aggressive were the orcs, in fact, that Krunk's Crushers charged the Night Bottom boys in an attempt to get them moving!

Also (try to imagine this in slow motion, possibly with epic, tragic classical music playing), The Coohrs Light Foote regiment stepped into the line of sight of the Man Mangler...

On the left flank, Ruger's Troll Slayers continue to move up, determined to meet their fate.

"Well, boys, I feel like I should issue some sort of apology, really. Not seeing any trolls at all," Ruger said whilst surveying the field. "I really thought this lot would have some."

Heckler stepped forward and patted Ruger on the shoulder. "Don't worry, chief, you did your best. I'm sure we could find a suitable fate somewhere here today. Stiff upper lip and all that."

Ruger grunted. "Mmm. Stiff upper lip, quite right."

"Actually, I'm sort of glad, really," Wesson said. "Wasn't too sure about the whole troll thing, really."

The other dwarves all stopped and turned to look at him. Wesson shuffled nervously.

Ruger cocked an eyebrow. "Not sure what you mean, son?"

"I'm just, y'know, having doubts about the whole slayer thing. It all sounded fun when I signed up, but now here we are, and the weathers crap, and I'm cold and hungry and there's a whole lot of angry orcs just over there. Just - seems a lot, is all."

Smith gripped Wesson's shoulders in each hand and shook him. "Pull yourself together, dwarf! This is your big moment! If you try hard, and stay focussed, you could die today! Just imagine!" Smith's eyes started to glaze over as he pointed at the approaching goblins. "Imagine charging into those goblins. You swing this way and that, but its no use.

"You kill four, maybe six, but they overpower you, forcing you to the ground. Still you fight, but their numbers never end. Kicking and biting, they spill your blood on the ground. Ever weaker, you hack and hack and hack, until one of them chops your hand off. Even then, you beat them with the wet stump, all the while bleeding to death. Eventually, greatness comes. Your eyes shut and cough your last blood choked breath..."

Ruger, Heckler and Koch all stared at Smith in wonder.

Koch wiped away a tear. "I'll miss you when you're gone, buddy!"

"What? WHAT!"Wesson cried."Listen to yourselves! How the hell did you guys even get here? What did you do that was so bad that you want to get killed out here for it!"

"Cheating in my senior khazalid literature exam," Smith stated.

"Cut myself shaving," Heckler said, shaking his head. "Dad was so disappointed..."

"My mom caught me touching myself," Ruger said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Koch bit his lip, overcome with emotion. Ruger put his arm over his shoulder "There, there, Koch. I know its tough, but we can talk about it here. This is a safe place to feel."

Koch nodded. Still choked up, he whispered: "I'm allergic to beer."

Wesson's stood with his mouth open, staring at the others. "I...I don't know what to say."

"What about you?" Ruger's eyes sought out Wesson's. "What's your story?"

Wesson dropped his gaze. "Late library book. Mrs Fletcher was such a bitch about it. She even said she wished I was a troll slayer. I didn't know what else to do..."

The others nodded. "Tough one. Mrs Fletcher's a real cow," Smith said. "Although, I also had late library books once. She said then that she wished I was a toll payer. Maybe, you know...you didn't hear her correctly? Usually, you just pay a toll when they're late, you see?"

Wesson's eyes went wide with horror. "You mean..."

"Look, what's done is done," Ruger said. "Here we are, a brotherhood of slayers, on a field of opportunity. Let's not let this one slip!"

"Aye!" Smith, Heckler and Koch barked.

"Bitch!" Wesson spat. "Bloody mumbling bitch!"

The others ignored him.

"Follow me, boys! Today's the day we die!" Ruger yelled, swinging his axe in the direction of the orcs.

Wesson watched as the others rushed ahead. He sighed. It wasn't even a good book, come to think about it...

The Shooting Phase

Shooting was devastating. In total, twelve dwarves kicked the proverbial bucket. The Man-mangler, the only six man (orc?) stone thrower available in Warhammer Armies, lived up to its name, by scoring a direct hit on the Coohrs Light, mangling seven of that regiment's fine dwarves.

Also, four slayers met their embarrassingly pitiful fate, cheated doubly by the greenskins in that:

a.) there were no trolls
b.) turns out the goblins are pretty good with the bow, so they didn't even get to swing their axes

In return, the dwarves introduced the orc boarboys to time travel, by blowing three of them into next week Wednesday with twelve pounds of iron. Everything else missed, including the Gob-Lobber. The blue cross hairs mark where the stone landed.

"That's odd," Crun Cheenut said, pointing at the orc boar riders.

"What's that, then?" Orl Branne asked.

"Well, they don't have a banner. I always aim for the banner, see? But they don't have one. Just seems odd."

"I bet they're up to no good. If you don't have a banner, you're busy sneaking, aren't you?"

Crun looked thoughtful. "Yeah. You're probably right. Although, we don't have a banner."

Orl patted the cannon. "No, but I like to think of this as a musical instrument. They know we're here, all right. No sneaking about for us."

Crun laughed. "Too right. Well, we'd better shoot them, before they go off and do something sneaky!"

"Yes. We'll be heroes. No sneaky sneaking whilst we're on the job, eh?"

The two high-fived, before Crun touched the cord with his cigar.

Unfortunately for Blue, the boarboys cracked under the pressure, panicked, and ran off the table.
Fortunately for Blue, no other units followed suit.
Unfortunately for Blue, the boarboys carted his one and only wizard (that I'm aware of, I suppose), Sensei Milliog, with them.
Fortunately for Blue, I didn't laugh out loud. Much.

The little orange '1' next to the cannon is a heat point. Back in the day (before special dice with special symbols), when kids could do arithmetic, cannons would accumulate heat points. Essentially, the first cannon shot is risk free, but thereafter, heat points will build up. The firing player rolls a d6 and adds the heat points to the roll. If the roll exceeds six, the cannon explodes. Leave the cannon for a turn, and it will cool down, thus losing a heat point.

As you can imagine, dwarf supporters (myself chief amongst them) will be keeping a keen interest in that little orange number.

The Combat Phase

Much like sex on the first date, Blue was able to put out with some Turn 2 combat. Specifically, Krunks Crushers obliged you eager spectators by climbing into The Night Bottom boys, giving them a sound thrashing, managing to traumatise one of them enough for him to stop living.

Predictably, the orcs beat the stuffing out of the goblins, causing them to be pushed back 2". This event, in turn, was just enough to bring the Night Bottom Boys into 8" of the Loane Rangers, causing two crazed, drug-addled loonies to break ranks and launch themselves cackling and screaming at the dwarf line, swinging giant, back-breaking balls of iron.

I've played goblins (that is, just goblins, not orcs and goblins) for about ten years now. I completely forgot about the possibility that he might have fanatics. Never even crossed my mind. Idiot.

The Reserves Phase

Reserves was more of the same, with the two armies just tightening up their lines. Ruger, unfortunately, was unable to do anything clever in order to get away from the fanatic - in 3rd edition, you can't make a reserve move if you are within 4" of an enemy.

As you can imagine, orc supporters (Blue chief amongst them) will be keeping a keen interest in those two fanatics.

One of the things that is proving quite interesting is the middle of the board being completely static, in some sort of bizarre napoleonic shooting match. Also, the fact that both commanders are on the edge of the field is something I haven't seen in a long time.

The Magic Phase

I just put this section here to rub it in. The dwarves didn't bring any wizards, so we're not that concerned one way or the other. Blue elected to bring young Milliog, a wizard, but as you know, he elected to leave with the remaining boar boys once the dwarves explained physics and how important velocity and mass are in that particular field. Unfortunately, Milliog didn't get a single spell off in the game.

Looking at both the battle at the Wyemm Seeyay and this battle, one can see the dramatic difference between the occasional presence of magic in 3rd ed, and the overwhelming sledgehammer it is in 8th.

Anyway, no magic.

This is the state of affairs at the end of turn 2:

Will the dwarf cannon explode? Can Ruger evade the whirling fanatic? Will all of the orcs pass their animosity tests? Tune in next time for The Shadow of Koles Lorr - Turn 3!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Battle Report: The Shadow of Koles Lorr - Turn 2 (12.02.2012)
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:30 AM »
Brilliant, even down to the pun names that GW used back in the day.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »
Many people died to bring you this report.

lol

Brilliant, even down to the pun names that GW used back in the day.

I think Orle Branne and Crun Cheenut are my faves!   :D

Sterling work as ever - good to see some good old fashioned Stunty bashing!  >:D

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
Guys, you're killing me - especially those tragic tales told by the slayers. Allergic to beer...  lol

Great report. Love it!
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »
Love it!  :-* :-*

I would also like to join in. And wile I do have quite some painted models and a table that can easily be used, I'm afraid my armies are painted for 8th edition gaming, meaning I'd have to do quite some painting before joining in. I hope using models from all editions and different brands should not be a big problem? I actually am quite bust trying to collect more 3rd ed. models, but did notice that it takes quite an effort as well as patience to get everything together.

Been reading up on 3rd ed. and loving it (again)!

Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »
LOVELY report!  :-*
I can't wait to see turn 3  :D
keep going!