Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What traits are unique/necessary for SCW rules?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
What traits are unique/necessary for SCW rules?
« on: December 25, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »
Interested in most things Spanish and having seen some conversations on rules - wondering what traits are unique/specific to represent this war in most people's minds that differ from more WW1/WW2/"generic" 20th Century rules at skirmish, small battle, and/or big battle levels of game?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Londoncopper

• Scientist
Re: What traits are unique/necessary for SCW rules?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »
You need to reflect civil militias vs seasoned regulars (Legion, Moors), political ideology, poor/limited weapon supply, limited air support to name but a few.
If you are looking for a good rule set then Rapid Fire with the Rompan el Fuego supplement are good, Triumph & Tragedy are excellent and I hear good things about Triumph of the Will.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
I mostly use Disposable Heroes or rather the SCW supplement Primera Batalla. They reflect some of the things that Londoncopper mentions especially where it concern the difference between well trained troops (but some  in an unfamiliar environment) against poorly trained militia (but mostly on their home turf).

Limited supply and almost non- existant air support is also taken care of, although you'll need to carefully balance your own scenarios.

Missing somewhat, but apparently non of the suitable rules address this, is the political infighting that plagued mostly the Republican side.

The 'regular' infantry on both sides is often somewhat forgotten in favour of the more colourful militias , Moors and Legionnaires although they supplied  70-75 % of all the combatants.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
I enjoy DH too for SCW and particularly the campaigns which we're working through at the moment. The Militia should be "keen" but generally poorly trained

Special Rules for the various participants - regional charcteristics/religious traits, particular emnities [as a broad brush] spring to mind

I really enjoy gaming this period
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
Each unit would also tend to have a very individual character, partially due to the great variation in training levels mentioned above, but also the fact that most nations' forces would have their own operational strategies. This is most visible on the Republican side, with its great variety in international supporters, but even the nationalists had many clear divisions (the Italians, the Germans, and the three major Spanish Nationalist factions). A system or add-on rules that gives each unit's leader a stronger "character" imprint on how their forces behave might also be good.

There's also the fact that the war was seen as a "laboratory" by several nations (most especially Germany, but also the Soviets to an extent) to try new tactics and weapons in anticipation of the larger war to come. So in terms of effects on the SCW, there was a great willingness by some parties to innovate and change tactics frequently to see what worked best. This won't matter at all in individual battles, but if you're going to run a campaign, it may affect the overall game.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.