Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Non-British VSF/Steampunk RPG Sourcebooks: Let's create a list  (Read 6550 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
Non-British VSF/Steampunk RPG Sourcebooks: Let's create a list
« on: December 26, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
British VSF is great fun, but there are other nations out there too, each with their own charm.  I'd like to compile a list that we could all share.

I am not concerned about system, and this is a personal preference of mine, but I just don't think it is necessary.  Once you have decided on a system, the fluff books can afford to be just that.  Chances are that if you need rules for something, you can do a quick conversion of something similar from what you already have, or perhaps just a cosmetic change.

For the same reason, I'm not too concerned about books with army lists and lengthy military descriptions.  By all means, add any of these that you like, but, for the purpose of this list, I think it is more fun to get sourcebooks on adventure, culture, religion, government, local color, etc.  Why?  Because we are all wargamers, and most of us already have buckets of books on painting and playing our favorite armies.  Chances are that if you are into the Luxembourgian Grand Duke's Own Death's Head Grenadier Guards Cuirassiers, you already know all about those guys, but how much do you know about Luxembourg?

Trouble is, it can be difficult finding sourcebooks.  I'll start by contributing two GURPS books:

GURPS Castle Falkenstein: The Ottoman Empire

Like so many GURPS sets, this one has a lot of cultural flavor, and was well researched.  As it is Castle Falkenstein it is as much fantasy as steam tech, and djinns and afrits play a big part in it.  If you don't like that stuff, just lower the power level, or turn it into superstition.  For me, I love adding in all that Solomonic magic tradition.

My one quibble is that it is sometimes difficult to tell where the Falkensteinian stuff begins, and the real world history and mythology ends, but if you wanted to become a history Phd, go to college.  This book gives a great flavor for a vastly underappreciated part of the Victorian world.

GURPS Russia (Available as a pdf on-demand print only)

This might seem a funny choice, as it runs from the earliest mythological origins of Rus/Scythia/Sarmatia through the death of Peter the Great.  However, the book is a great source for the general culture of this complex and intriguing land, and contains a lot of fantastic and adventure material as well.  Remember also that, culturally, Russia changed much less after the Golden Horde was overthrown, as compared to the rest of Europe.  Cossacks, Tartars, the Orthodox priesthood, vodka and the typical bearded Russian peasant are all here.  

It would not be a complete sourcebook for 19th century Russia by any means, but it is a great start.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:22:31 PM by gloriousbattle »

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
Re: Non-British VSF/Steampunk RPG Sourcebooks: Let's create a list
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »
Sorry about this.  I don't know why I keep putting my VSF stuff in the Colonial area.  :(

Anyway, no harm intended.  Hopefully, it will be moved, as I think it would make a nice resource.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:48:26 AM »
I just mix Spanish Colonial history (loosely) and mix it with VSF bits...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »
Well, no great rush toward this one...  :(

Okay, I'll ask for one.  Does anyone have an rpg or sourcebook for the foreign legion?  As romanticized as it is, and as popular as VSF has become, I'm surprised I can't find any such.  Then again, my google skills are not great.   :( :(

Again, thanks

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
Not an RPG or sourcebook. but if you want inspiration for FFL games look no further than this site for the Amazing Adventures of the Red Shadow:

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/index.html

My own French force is based on a core of VSF legionairres in breathing masks (I use Warrior Miniatures FFL figures from their WW1/VSF 'England Invaded' range or alternatively you could use similar from the Parroom Station VSF range sold through Brigade Games).

I just re-named them as Legion Extraterrestrial and deposited them on Venus. More recently I have moved the Legion to Mars, where you can run any North African scenario by replacing Morroccans/Algerians with Martians. Add flyers/airboats and local carnivorous beasties and you have a perfect VSF setting.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
Not an RPG or sourcebook. but if you want inspiration for FFL games look no further than this site for the Amazing Adventures of the Red Shadow

Just fell in love with the Red Shadow!  It's amazing how much of this pulp and VSF is out there, just under the surface.  I had heard Red Shadow bandied about, but I thought it was a character from some rpg like the GASLIGHT rpg supplement (Expeditions by Gaslight?).  ANyway, I will have to get into that series.

Also, I really like the little diorama on your page, of the zamburak lazing down the river past the old, Turkish fort.  Good stuff!

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »
Continuing with the Ottoman theme, this one http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/50789/the-last-days-of-constantinople is a small print D&D3.0 publication from about 350-450 years before our period, when Constantinople fell to the Turks.  

So why use it in a VSF/Steampunk game?  It gives a lot of historical background, a nice map of the Sublime Porte, and lots of dungeon adventuring information that might well be accurate even in the 19th century.  If, for example, you are going to try to steal back the professor's plucky daughter from the Grand Turk's harem, chances are you will need to find a way in, and, more importantly, a way out of Istanbul when your theft is discovered.

This does not seems to be carried even by rpgnow/drivethrurpg, but it does surface on ebay and other sites now and then, usually cheaply enough to be well worth having.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:49 PM »
Maybe you can add "Six Guns & Sorcery" also for Castle of Falkenstein but from their first edition (Talsorian), really VSF.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=25131&it=1

The Deadlands stuff migth have a place in this list maybe?

One more, GURPS Atlantis, http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/atlantis/
 i always perceived it as a great sourcebook for VSF/steampunk, but that could be a mere personal perception.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:19:56 PM by Donpimpom »

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 12:46:54 AM »
All great additions, most especially Deadlands.  That game was a genre all by itself.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 12:53:20 AM »
Recently stumbled across "Tephra", described as "Steampunk Tabletop RPG".
Hadn't the time yet to check it out, though ::)

http://www.crackedmonocle.com/tephra/

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 12:55:07 AM »
Here is another, though I'm not so sure about this one:

http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/paristhespectralcityd20modernforbiddenkingdoms.aspx

Of course, second only to London (if even that) Paris is going to be a major center of VSFing.  However, based only on the cover (I know, I know...) and the advertising blurb, this looks like it is way too weirded out for me.  I love the genre, but if Paris is completelymade into a den of monsters then... well... it's no longer Paris.  I fully intend to run into Napoleon's ghost and a group of Cthulhu things eating pastries and arguing politics on the Champs Elysees, but this seems like it might be overdoing it, with the monsters packed so tight that all the Parisiens are squeezed out.

Anybody know?

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 12:59:46 AM »
Recently stumbled across "Tephra", described as "Steampunk Tabletop RPG".
Hadn't the time yet to check it out, though ::)

http://www.crackedmonocle.com/tephra/

Interesting.  Seems to have a trace of Renaissance Italy to it, somehow.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »
VSF-useful Dungeon Crawls:

The next two are d20 3.5 adventures loosely based on our world:

Bloody Jack's Gold http://www.goodmangames.com/5003preview.html

This is a typical pirate's ghosts guarding their buried treasure adventure.  While not set in any world that includes a Europe, it nonetheless makes reference to an entity called the "Empire" which, according to the authors, is loosley based on the British and Spanish maritime empires of the 17th century.  Thus, with a few name changes; a great backdrop for a VSF treasure hunt.

Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen

http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3315

Again, not set in our world, but an easily convertible lost world style adventure that could be set "somewhere near" Egypt, or perhaps the Yucatan.

Please not that both of these adventures involve the highly magical style of game associated with all versions of Dungeons and Dragons, so if you are not into that, steer clear.

Interestingly, I've found it much easier to find this type of adventure than a more 'Hard VSF' (if that has any meaning) style.  However, my campaign is pretty whacky, so it's cool with me.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
And two from Call of Cthulhu:

Secrets of Kenya

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Kenya-Mythos-Roams-Cthulhu/dp/1568821883

and

Secrets of Morocco

http://www.ogrecave.com/reviews/secrets_morocco.shtml

The second link is to a review in Ogre's Cave.  Ogre doesn't like it.  At all.  Still, the setting is interesting enough that I plan on giving it a look.

Of course, much like Castle Falkenstein, CoC gives its own Cthulhuesque take on everything (nothing wrong with that) but I am hoping that there is enough flavor and period depth to these to make them useful outside of the great old ones arena.

I'm optimistic; Chaosium usually puts out good stuff.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Mars or Die

http://regimentgames.com/rules.html

The French Foreign Legion, because of all the richness of its traditions, warriors and the settings in which it fought, is, IMHO, the premier vehicle for VSF  gaming.  Just the fun of having your player characters narrowly avoid a firing squad after each adventure -but still be tortured- in some way, usually involving thirst or dodging the Tuaregs, makes it worthwhile, as of course, do it's brutal officers, even more brutal NCOs and the fact that all of its forts are built close to some lost pyramid or whatever.

Anyway, I include the above, even though it is not an rpg, just because it gives at least a nod to the FFL, that is, IMO useful for VSF gaming.

March or die, peegs!