Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Paper Cargo Ship  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Paper Cargo Ship
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
I found this paper model of a cargo ship here: http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T030-Cargo-Ship

According to the web site it is 0 scale but can be brought up to 28mm (S scale) by enlarging the print to 118%.

I was thinking it could be a good cheap (£6.99) project as a suitable basis for a tramp steamer. I've downloaded a free warehouse model from the site to see how it turns out.

Has anyone ever tried these paper models models?
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Paper Cargo Ship
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »
Judging from the pics, it looks like it is a relatively complex kit (especially the hull shape). If you haven't done any paper modelling, that might be a bit daunting, especially since we don't know the kit's layout, but if you are willing to invest time (as in some weeks, as you need to be precise and let stuff dry thoroughly in between) and effort, it could certainly provide a nice model. I'd suggest photocopying the 00s on A3 thin card (160 or 220g per square metre) to give the model rigidity when you upscale it, but that might be tricky as not all copyshops can print on A3 card (it's usually paper).

I wouldn't buy it as I prefer a more robust, albeit gamepiece-style as compared to detailed models and would rather build one myself, but if the model is well-designed and the pics are anything to go by, the price sounds very fair.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »
Yeah... After some thought it looks a bit out of my league.
To be honest, I think I'd find it easier scratch building.

Cheers

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
Judging from the pics, it looks like it is a relatively complex kit (especially the hull shape). If you haven't done any paper modelling, that might be a bit daunting, especially since we don't know the kit's layout, but if you are willing to invest time (as in some weeks, as you need to be precise and let stuff dry thoroughly in between) and effort, it could certainly provide a nice model. I'd suggest photocopying the 00s on A3 thin card (160 or 220g per square metre) to give the model rigidity when you upscale it, but that might be tricky as not all copyshops can print on A3 card (it's usually paper).

I wouldn't buy it as I prefer a more robust, albeit gamepiece-style as compared to detailed models and would rather build one myself, but if the model is well-designed and the pics are anything to go by, the price sounds very fair.

I started to build my steamer by enlarging a paper model and then transferred it to sheet plastic, using the paper cut outs as guides. A rather pleasant apporach, but I have to put the project on hold because of other stuff.

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:02 AM »
This one from Reviresco is pretty good

http://www.tin-soldier.com/freighter.htm

Cheers

Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:27:30 PM »
I certainly like the look of the church they do see: http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T014-Church  ;D
While I have not made any of their buildings I have made card stock building by David Graffam models see http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?keywords=dave+graffam&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=&x=0&y=0 as well as the old GW Townscapes and the advantage over scratchbiulding can be the time saved. However some card models can be particularly long winded and complex and the final product can lack strength. With regards to card buildings I always mount them on a polystyrene structure thus making them very sturdy and yet still light weight and easy to store. The card can also be used as a good template for the final scratchbuilt product. Do keep us posted on your experiances...

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:59:37 AM »
O scale (1/43 or 1/48) is actuallly larger than S scale (1/64) so if anything you'd need to shrink the model.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
O scale (1/43 or 1/48) is actuallly larger than S scale (1/64) so if anything you'd need to shrink the model.
True for 0 Scale but the ship is in 00 scale (that's 1:76.2) so scaling it up is the correct direction ;)
Far less active than I used to...