Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:44:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Death in the Dark Continent - Afghanistan anyone?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
Death in the Dark Continent - Afghanistan anyone?
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:42:01 PM »
Hi, I've been playing these rules a fair amount this year and have found them to give one of he most satisfying games of all the Colonial rules I've played.

However, Africa not being big enough for me, I've recently tried using them for the North West Frontier as well. A couple of tweaks are needed I think, but they still give a really good game.

Has anyone else given these rules a try for games set outside of Africa? If so, do you use them as written or have you tweaked them?

Cheers!

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
Re: Death in the Dark Continent - Afghanistan anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:29:49 AM »
Nope, but it seems like an obvious progression (especially for those with Afghan regulars, shifty Rooshians, and the like)!  Would you mind describing your tweaks and additions?

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »
I use S&tF for my NWF but i can see how DitDC could work. I'd be interested too to hear/see your thoughts as i have the rules

Thanks

James
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »
Nope, but it seems like an obvious progression (especially for those with Afghan regulars, shifty Rooshians, and the like)!  Would you mind describing your tweaks and additions?

Allen

Afghan Regulars were raw soldiers, with a mix of either muskets or breachloaders. I think we also allowed up to one unit of regulars.  Tribesmen are a mix of skirmishers and warriors with the ghazis being elite.

British and Ghurkas are elite soldiers with breachloaders, Indians are regulars. I know based on fighting skills this is plain wrong, but it's just a conventions to make game play easier. Bengal Lancers are elite.

The tweaks were around the use of cavalry, warband don't get a 'bonus' kill of cavalry and cavalry get a bonus kill of infantry. Small changes, but given the reaction of tribesmen to cavalry, I think they are fair, especially as cavalry tends to be in small units and quite brittle...

Tim