Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Campaign Concern  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Campaign Concern
« on: December 13, 2007, 07:12:27 PM »
So, during my lunch break I popped into my FLGS. I asked about local players and the guy behind the counter said LoTOW had a lot of interest about 2 years ago, but the campaign is broken. Apparently, there aren't any handicaps/rewards for lower tiered posses.

Is this true? Was it fixed in later supplements? With GW having experience with Mordheim and Necromunda, I don't see how this could be the case.

What's the deal?

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Campaign Concern
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:25:38 PM »
Hmm they get 1-3 rerolls if they're underdogs, not much but it's always something,, it's in the experience section of the rulebook

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Campaign Concern
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:36:33 PM »
We had problems like that with the campaign rules for Necromunda, but LotOW seemed to be better. We did have some posses just get wiped out by runaway luck, but apart from that we had 3 (I think) campaigns go off with no complaints.

Offline TJSKI

• Librarian
    • http://cursedtreasures.blogspot.com/
Re: Campaign Concern
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:58:33 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Hooligan"
So, during my lunch break I popped into my FLGS. I asked about local players and the guy behind the counter said LoTOW had a lot of interest about 2 years ago, but the campaign is broken. Apparently, there aren't any handicaps/rewards for lower tiered posses.

Is this true? Was it fixed in later supplements? With GW having experience with Mordheim and Necromunda, I don't see how this could be the case.

What's the deal?

Hmm your not here in Phoenix are you? One of the local shop owners here said the same thing. But this was because he had his butt handed to him every game he played. I have found that most people just don't like to loose & it is supposed to get harder if you loose all the time. Does it make it more fun, no, but in a game there will always be a winner & a loser.

I have run a few LotOW campaigns and never had anyone say the system was broken. But thats just me, I could be wrong...

TJSKI
"Leutant Kulinski, a rather inept commander"

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Campaign Concern
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:27:55 PM »
I ran the LoTOW campaign at WHW in October and have played in various campaigns outside of the campaign weekends. I've never had a problem with the LoTOW campaign system.

If their are loads of guys in your campaign playing once a week and one guy playing once evry two months then he's going to find things a bit hard going but generally there will be other posses who will be having a harder time of it.

Try balancing up some games by having some as multi-player scenarios, pairing a less experienced posse with a more experienced one on each side.  :)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Campaign Concern
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:26:59 AM »
Quote from: "TJSKI"
One of the local shop owners here said the same thing. But this was because he had his butt handed to him every game he played.

I have yet to play my first game, so I can't comment on the real question...but I have noticed that a lot of the less professional (and that's a large percentage) of game store owners tend to let their personal opinions interfere with the things they say and recommend to customers.  I mean, educated opinions are always appreciated, but sometimes they are just biased for no good reason other than it just isn’t their cup of tea.

I mean, I’ve seen people walk into a game store to buy Battletech and be convinced by the store owner to get Warhammer 40K instead (true story).  I mean, both are fine games, but if the customer wanted Battletech for whatever reason, 40K (being a totally different type of game) is probably going to be a big (and costly) disappointment.

Similarly, I’ve gone into a store to pick up an older game only to have the clerk try to turn me on to something newer.  Most likely because he foresees me spending more money on the new game, not because he is truly concerned with my choice of a game.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/