Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hold the Town! Weird WW2 AAR  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Hold the Town! Weird WW2 AAR
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
Last night we had another Weird WW2 get together. 5 showed up in all. Stanley and I brought Germans. Alfrik had his Soviets. Laughing Ferret brought Belgians. Leadfool brought 200 Vikings. He said he thought we were playing SAGA and like the smart kid in school wanted to make sure he had enough for everyone. Fortunately there were extra Allies to go around and he ended up commanding the Americans.

The Germans took some extra point value to make up for the defensive positions and we commenced on to an evening of fun.

The Game

The Allied contingent was a joint Soviet/US/Belgian(?) operation. In addition a platoon of Comet tanks was attached to the American force. Many of the defenders took positions in the buildings of the town and armed with anti tank weapons and heavy machine guns they were to make it very hot for the incoming German armor.

The German forces were split in half with the heavier Tigers making a direct assault on the town while the lighter Pz IVs and Stugs tried to roll the flank. The plan worked fairly well but in the end the assault was severly blunted and time was the enemy of the assaulting Germans. By the end of the evening both sides had taken heavy vehicular losses and the Allies lost one or two squads inside the buildings that took some of the heaviest fire. There were no Allied tanks left and two of their covering buildings had been blown to rubble. The Germans were down to one tank and two Stugs in the flanking force and the assault force lost all three of its Tigers which put it in a similar situation. A hard won victory for the Allies.

Photos from the game

The town. I made these using castings from my Victorian buildings and then filling the majority of the surface with modelling paste to give them a stucco affect.

More town.

The Belgian faces down the inevitable mounds of paperwork associated with the running of any army.

The Comets take forward positions. supported by American infantry on the ground and Soviet Infantry in the buildings.

Two American walkers support the Belgian infantry on the flank of the town.

An American Light walker.

American troops advance into a copse of trees. They were forced back into the town fairly quickly by HE fire from the German flank assault.

The Belgians lose their armored support as the walker takes a hit from one of the Stugs.

The Allies quickly reciprocate and put paid to a Stug.

The frontal assault element takes some heavy hits early on as they advance towards the Allied fighting positions.

The Tigers make quick work of one of the Comets.

The remaining Comets hold steady and continue to do some serious damage to the German assault.

One Comet made the mistake of leaving his cover and was taken out by a side shot from one of the flanking Pz IVs.

The flankers lose a tank to some well directed RPG fire from the Russians. The Germans tried to keep them suppressed as much as possible while making the run around the town. The Belgian's ended up being less of a worry as they seemed to be shooting high with their anti tank weapons.

The German infantry rolls in in trucks and riding on the Stugs. These were Fallshirmjagers with a Werewolf commander. The werewolf made a running leap at a lead element of Allies, inflicting heavy casualties and pushing them out of their defensive position. He then pulled back to his troops as the fire from other units got very heavy on the lone lycanthrope.

The Americans remain cool and professional.

The German infantry move up to support the armored flanking maneuver.

William Blake quotations abounded when the last Tiger went up in flames. The HYDRA infantry supporting the Armored push debussed and moved into assault positions.

The HYDRA forces find cold comfort in a low hill under all the fire still coming out of the town..

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Hold the Town! Weird WW2 AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
What an awesome looking game!  :o
Nice looking scenery and terrain :-*.
Top notch stuff.

I forgot, what rule system do you guys generally use?

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »
Nice looking game.

But it's WWW2, so a timetravelling Viking raiding party should not be a problem, or not ;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »
What a cracking looking game!  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline ski2060

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »
Awesome looking game Skrapwelder.  Youre group has some great looking forces and terrain.
My fledgling Blog ski2060.blogspot.com

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »
Thanks everyone.

quote author=aggro84 link=topic=39960.msg466722#msg466722 date=1333212503]
What an awesome looking game!  :o
Nice looking scenery and terrain :-*.
Top notch stuff.

I forgot, what rule system do you guys generally use?
[/quote]

We use a set of rules called Screaming GIs that we have added the Weird stuff to.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 12:53:56 AM »
Much better than many WWWII battles. At least both sides had reasonable tanks (Stugs, Comets, MK IVs) not a bunch of obsolete pre-war light tankls I so often see in WWWII AARs. :)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »
Great stuff!  

Truly WWWII,
Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 02:27:04 AM »
Very well done AAR.
Fine looking terrain.
Love the whole look of it.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:39:46 AM »
Screaming GI's huh?

I tried looking up the rules to see what they were like but I couldn't find much.

I love the cover art though.

lol

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »
I still think I could have fielded my vikings.  they could have been a Estonian/Latvian/Swedish pioneer battalion. 
Actually playing the Americans with Comets was great.  As usual the terrain looked great.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----