Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690900
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Call To Arms: Star Fleet  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
A Call To Arms: Star Fleet
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »
I just got the hardbound book and the 3 starter fleets, Mongoose may redeem themselves with this one.

I really like the way the game flows, still lots of detail in the game play, only now you can use multiple ships and not have a game take a week to play.  ;)

ADB has remastered the fleets in resin now, better detail, slightly larger models and a lower price point, however there is a higher level of clean up needed on the new models.

Overall I think this will be a great system.
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
Re: A Call To Arms: Star Fleet
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 04:00:36 AM »
Sweet.

I am still waiting for my rule book to arrive in Australia, so your initial response is encouraging.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
Have the rules - they do seem to flow well, can't say how they compare top the B5 game as I never played.

Not fussed on the alternative ST background but that is a minor quible!

Still waiting for my Constitution Class crusier, Klingon D6 and Romulan Battle Hawk to arrive!

Cultist #3 have you built any of yours yet? - I'm worried the engines will be a pain to get right/stay in place when drying!

Offline Caputo

• Student
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:04:22 PM »
Ive got the Romulan KR, from the squadron box,  which is basically the D6 model.  Glueing the little wing and engine pieces on was no bother really.  I am not sure that they are quite at the right angle but look fine to my eye. 

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
I've been lax on getting anything built, mostly doing cleanup on the Romulans, I think the resin is porous enough that it will set up pretty quick.

I remember trying to build a Constitution class in pewter some time back, the nacelles were a pain to keep straight. I'm thinking pinning may be in order for some of the models.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:11:11 PM by Cultist #3 »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »
I will get the pdf when it is released.

Being a big Trekkie myself I have high hopes for the game.
Somehow Mongoose seem to have already alienated some of their customers (again):
http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=49645
(Some whining about shipping, no clue if it is justified...)

Anyway - the only problem that bugs me is the setting, from all ST eras I fond the "Kirk" era and ship designs the least appealing...
I know it is based on the strict license restrictions, but I would have loved to see a DS9 Dominion War setting more…
http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=49541
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
Ive got the Romulan KR, from the squadron box,  which is basically the D6 model.  Glueing the little wing and engine pieces on was no bother really.  I am not sure that they are quite at the right angle but look fine to my eye. 

I think the Klingon ships will be the easiest as engines are lower down - it's those Federation ships that are going to be a pain.

I remember trying to build a Constitution class in pewter some time back, the nacelles were a pain to keep straight. I'm thinking pinning may be in order for some of the models.

That's really the reason I asked - I remember having a similar issue with the same type of miniature back in the late 80's!

I agree that they probably will need to be pinned.

Offline frontal assault

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
I know it is based on the strict license restrictions, but I would have loved to see a DS9 Dominion War setting more…

Aye, when I saw the topic headline I couldn't help thinking of the fantastic looking fleet shots from various episodes of the latter seasons.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »
I got the book and a fed squadron and a kklingon squadron for Christmas.  lol

The casts were OK and at least not bubbly. Still resin is resin.. this does seem to be the more durable kind though.

I do think it's quite up there price wise.

As for Mongoose taking up miniatures again I just don't know - it seems that it's all up to one very erratic man and that things may change.. all the time.  lol

As long as the entire game is contained in one book and isn't awaiting future instalments to work properly it doesn't matter if they suddenly pull the plug.

I gamed quite a lot of Starship Troopers and I did not like the way that show went down.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
Has anyone done a review of the game with a full rules breakdown? I've been looking for a fleet battles game and early Trek has always interested me.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 11:58:40 PM »
As soon as mine arrives in Australia I will be posting a review on my blog, but until then hopefully someone else can help out.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
Has anyone done a review of the game with a full rules breakdown? I've been looking for a fleet battles game and early Trek has always interested me.
Not a full review, but Planet Mongoose has given some very decent infos about the game:
http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/