Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Woodland Scenics Ready Grass Mat - advice requested  (Read 3489 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Woodland Scenics Ready Grass Mat - advice requested
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
Folks,

Have any of you used the Woodland Scenics Ready Grass Mat (WS page) at all?

The only video on the site shows it being formed by a 'hot gun' into the shape of a hill leaving a series of folds that they then hide under scatter!

Even though WS produce a 'grass green' flock/turf it is a different colour to the mat (much much darker) so I may be stuck to match it if I use it.

I'm trying to work out:

1) Is this really suitable as a wargames mat rather than a train / model product?
2) Anybody have flock / static grass that is close to the colour?
3) Anyone used it in anger as a table / board covering?
4) Anyone know how to waterproof it as this video shows how easy it flakes!

Thanks in advance
Andrew
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:33:06 AM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Re: Woodland Scenics Ready Grass Mat - advice requested
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:49:55 AM »
Andrew, in answer to questions 1 and 3, if it's the mats I'm thinking of (scatter glued to a sort of paper?) we used one of these as a wargaming mat a while ago and it wasn't suitable for us. It ripped and creased too easily and within about six months of fornightly gaming it was looking very tired. At first we would un-roll it for each game but that meant we had to pin it to the table, the pin holes would rip if the mat was even slightly moved, such as someone leaning on the table to move something. We then stuck the mat to a 6x4 table permanently but within months the wear and tear was quite obvious so we scrapped it.

It probably works well for dioramas or occassional gaming but other than that I wouldn't recommend it.
Don't!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »
I do not think its the same material as this mat is vinyl and I cannot easily tear it.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »
Can't comment of the vinyl mats, as I have no experience with them, but answering to Thunderchicken's issue, I can attest to the paper mats working rather well when glued to a table (I used PVA/wood glue). I then sprayed the grass here and there with tan, brown and even black spraypaint, to break the monotony of the uniform green colour, and finally sprayed the whole thing with several coats of matt varnish.

The whole thing has been serving well for several years of occasional gaming now, even though I originally made it as a stopgap measure before I build my dream table.  ::)

A mate of mine has been looking at the Zuzzi (sp?) terrain mats. They're vinyl too, and apparently hold up very well, even when frequently rolled up for storage...

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:54:33 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
I do not think its the same material as this mat is vinyl and I cannot easily tear it.

Ah. I'd be interested to know how good these are.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:25:49 AM by Thunderchicken »

Offline panzagl

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:09:56 AM »
I've used these glued to styrofoam (the blue stuff) for both hills and terrain sections.  For hills I cut a hill shape out of 2" foam, then use the heat gun so the vinyl drapes over it.  For the terrain sections I just glued the mat down with white glue, which never really worked to my satisfaction- it dried slowly and if I tried I could peel it back.  I'm sure I could probably find a better way to stick it down though if do more terrain sections.

The surface itself holds up pretty well- some of the hills have lost flock where there are sharp creases, but  underneath is a brownish paper so it actually looks pretty good, like a bare dirt ridge-top.  Not up to the standards of most of the terrain here, but pretty good for throw-on-the-table, weekly use type of stuff.

Rich

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »
I went the Zuzzy route.  A little more expensive, but definitely durable and takes paint (drybrush only with acrylics)  Rolls up neat for storage and takes up far less space than a dedicated table. The only complaint I have is that it took 5 weeks to get it from when I ordered and I live in the US where they are located.  I think they must make to order rather than stock inventory, or else they use a shipping method that can only be described as punitive.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Depending on stock levels held by your FLGS, you may be waiting a while for some Woodland Scenics products:

http://www.lakenewsonline.com/news/x550247171/Fire-destroys-Linn-Creek-business-displaces-area-residents

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
Oh wow, that's a bit of news.  :?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
I used the mats for my AVBCW demo game a couple of years back.

Whilst they are suitable for static demo terrain, they're simply not up to the job of being rolled out as a wargames table cover on a regular basis. Eventually they will go bald in time as figures, dice, hands, books, terrain, etc., mover over them.

The Games Workshop mats are similar in construction and colour, but more flexible as they are backed ona fabric and therefore last longer. I have one of these and it has served me well for a couple of years now.

Alternatively there are felt or vinyl mats available (eg via atenociti's workshop). These last longer than both the above, but don't have that static grass look or feel.

Hope that helps a bit.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
At least they managed to get people out safely and no one was hurt in the area / fire fighting - I think my grass can wait compared to a life!

From ABC News:

Firefighters said Friday a medium-sized exhaust fan motor caused the fire that heavily damaged a Linn Creek business yesterday.

Officially, the cause is listed as "electrical."

The company's break room and manufacturing facility are a total loss and creative offices and a warehouse sustained heavy smoke and water damage. But, Woodland Scenics operates other buildings in Linn Creek and Camden County and owners said they will be able to continue operations while rebuilding.

I would be surprised if there is a rapid shortage of stock - the supply chain business normally has some slack in it and with international shipping involved unless there is panic buying I think we shall see a dip then a climb back to full stocks.  Impact could be:

1) Increase in costs to cover damage while insurance sorts it out
2) Removal of less profitable items where the re-instatement costs outweigh the profits
3) Delays to new products
4) Re-organisational woes if they re-locate temporarily / permanently
5) Outsource production and it does not come back - this sounds very unlikly though going by the video 1:35 http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-story-woodlandscenics-010511,0,444951.story

They have my best wishes and hope every one stays OK

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
Woodland Scenics released a full statement:

Dear all,

As you may have heard we have experienced a fire here at Woodland Scenics and there is good news and bad news. The good news is that no one was hurt during the fire or evacuation process. The bad news is that it took out a couple of our manufacturing buildings. However, and fortunately, there is more good news than bad.

We encompass multiple buildings that are spread out all over the town of Linn Creek. We only lost two of those buildings and those two contained just a small portion of our manufacturing facilities. Our shipping department, warehouse and corporate offices were spared any damage, as were most of our manufacturing buildings, so it is business as usual.

Thanks for all your concerns.

Respectfully,

Gale Cousins
Director of Sales & Customer Service
Woodland Scenics