Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Way down yonder in Viet-Nam  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Way down yonder in Viet-Nam
« on: December 15, 2007, 10:49:11 PM »
Well, not exactly adventure-ey, but I wanted to show the stuff that pulled me out of my annual Autumnal Depression™.

Got a bunch of Vietnam stuff at my FLMS for a reduced price and started a little side-project. Theme will be pre-Tonkin Bay Vietnam, so itīs mostly "advisers" and Special Forces, plus those lovely old-fashioned helicopters - of course, Italeri dropped their H-13 kit just some years ago. Duh. :?

All in 1:72 - the figures are Revell plastics, re-issues of the old Esci figures, this time in an excellent beige plastic that is a joy to paint. A kind of guilty pleasure, though - wasnīt allowed any war toys as a kit, and especially no "army men". Hrm... looking at my collection, I just *MIGHT* be overcompensating for something.

The helicopters will mostly by Italeri, especially the H-21 (actually, the only ones readily available - currently, they are discounted as hell, apparently most model shops overstocked on those), and maybe an APC column later on, although thatīll venture into the latter part of the war.

Next, Iīll paint the remaining VC and US troops from the two boxes I bought, and then Iīll think about how to use the VC figures for CIDG militia. More scenery pieces, repainting my jungle tree bases to fit them to my new table. And build the second H-21 Shawnee. Good thing the christmas holidays are coming. Besides learning for the winter term exams, I hope to get some days of nonstop painting in. Good thing the convention game for Hamburg is almost done.

Now, some pics. Oh, and Iīll reorganise the US troops into some proper platoons once I get enough of those painted up.

The helicopter will get some decals, but those are sparse for the Army version - so once I get into the mood. But until then, it looks nammy enough for me.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 10:57:11 PM »
Lovely stuff, one of the best games I had was with my (now sold) vietnam stuff) I built a fire base using Frontline Wargames gear after buying a load of plastics and metal yanks and VC. JB M113s were good too.

I used Hueys and a Souix with some heavy duty Sea Knights for infnatry /Marine assault.

The game lasted all day I plumpired as VC and tied down the Yanks fomr the fire base by having hidden mortars in the jungle and the road being (or so they thought) mined.  every time the Hueys searched for the artillery they were scared off by AA fire.

The final assualt by Mainforce VC was a disaster and was easily repulse with Sheridans knocking out the VC PT76.

I used Buckle for your dust which is a detailed set of rules but worked well for the game.

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
Re: Way down yonder in Viet-Nam
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 11:34:03 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
A kind of guilty pleasure, though - wasnīt allowed any war toys as a kit, and especially no "army men". Hrm... looking at my collection, I just *MIGHT* be overcompensating for something.

Hehehe! Same with me.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
You've got some very nice stuff there. Excellent paintjob! Did they really use those "Flying Bananas" in the early stages of 'Nam? If so, this is very interesting. I don't know much about the choppers used in the Vietnam War. So my knowledge is only about the much portrayed Hueys, Chinooks and Choctaws (for the Marines)...
You've got a nice army there, keep it up!
TANK POLO? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:41:31 PM »
Yep, the Marines used the Piasecki Flying Banana until the mid to late 60s, at which point they got the Army's cast-off H-19s.

The other good part about doing pre-Tonkin is that you can also use M3 halftracks for your USMC convoy guards.

Awesome work, Chris!

Edit: The M551 Sheridan (which you can't use until post-Tonkin  :( ) is my absoulte favoritest tank in the universe. Fantastically bad operational history, but say hello to my little fren'!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:07:09 AM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Yep, the Marines used the Piasecki Flying Banana until the mid to late 60s, at which point they got the Army's cast-off H-19s.

I had some info that Army H-21s were used in support of ARVN troops. Iīm going for the Army variant. Mainly. Wasnīt too picky about those leg struts - they are more stable than those flimsy tubes.

The other good part about doing pre-Tonkin is that you can also use M3 halftracks for your USMC convoy guards.

That oneīs news to me. Sounds good. Love the M3. Marines will have to wait, first, Iīm going for the "Fighting Soldiers from the Sky, Fearless Men who jump and die".

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 12:47:38 AM »
That's some great stuff you've got there, very nicely painted and the terrain looks great ,
Once again i feel i should have gone for the more sensible option of 1/72 instead of 1/56 for vietnam

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 01:44:36 PM »
Aaargh... need some bamboo !!!  :love:

Very nice 1:72 stuff. As I always say, you cannot beat 1:72 when it comes to availability and value for money.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 06:59:27 PM »
you are crazy chris ,that is very nice !!!
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:34:18 AM »
A very nice collectio, I love all of it. Now I want to get into Nam :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 12:42:38 PM »
This is eaxctly what I want to do although in 15mm rather than 20mm.

I know it doesn't make any sense but I've already got some 15mm terrain and other bits and bobs so it would save some extra spending. On the other hand, given the re-release of the Esci Vietnam figures and the extensive plastic kits around, I may just re-think in a 1/72nd scale direction.

I love the job you've done on the Flying Banana...superb!

Jim
 :D

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:26:20 PM »
Very nice, love the look and i like the scenery a lot..
Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 07:27:35 PM »
I don't know if I've missed it somhow, but which rules are you using when playing in 1:72?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 10:02:12 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
I don't know if I've missed it somhow, but which rules are you using when playing in 1:72?

You didnīt miss anything, I didnīt write it in the opening post...

First, I had thought about doing some myself for a "Whereīs Charlie" feel, ie the US player usually not knowing what heīs up against, but my gaming buddy suggested we use a Warhampster adaptation, and since I already had all the Warhammer Nam rules on my harddrive, thatīs fine with me. Apart from that, with the rules writing for Triumph and Tragedy and the frantic pace of university at the moment I wouldnīt have time to do so, so better spend the time Iīve got on painting minis.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:15:04 PM »
Okies... Don't know said rules, but I might... well, better not for a while, I already have too many projects in the pipeline... :lol: