Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:18:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Assistance with Zombie Terrain board and gaming  (Read 14317 times)

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
Assistance with Zombie Terrain board and gaming
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:17:28 AM »
I want to play a zombie game in 28mm scale and create a modern urban board for it but im having a bit of trouble and by trouble i have no idea where to start.

I have looked at a few rules like ATZ but i cant really decide on what rules i should use. i would like something that is flexible so that i can shape the games how i want, but really any thing that involves scavenging and shooting is good enough for me.

For the board i want to make it an urban set up and i have stolen a few bits and pieces from commander vyper and have decided to use the print out roads and a few other things but to be honest i am not a big fan of the paper/cardboard buildings and its a little bit to expensive for me to buy buildings such as plasticville and other products so im left with one option and thats foamboard/foamcore and to be honest im not a very good terrain maker so do you guys have any tips or tricks that i can use.

does anyone know where i might be able to get 1/43 scale vehicles in australia because i have seen a few on ebay but they go for somewhere between 15 and 20 aussie dollars. 

i know where to get miniatures from but i wanted to know what is the survivor to zombie ratio is so that i can purchase the correct amount, i have seen people say that you should have 120 zeds and other say that you should have upwards of 500.

i would like to know where i can get a few small things like jersey barries, dumpsters and all those other small things that would litter an urban zombie board.

Cheers Bubbles

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
Re: Assistance with Zombie Terrain board and gaming
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:26:53 AM »
I purchased most of my vehicles on ebay for my games from the UK for cheaper than the price you mentioned... you just have to hunt for them.

Number of zombies needed can depend on the rules you are playing - I have about 40 or 50 and I need more. Around 100 should do the trick, but I said that about the number I have.

You can always join this forum for all of your zombie advice, help and ideas: http://boardofthelivinglead.proboards.com/index.cgi

And there are plenty of bloggers to borrow ideas from, including my own: http://zombiewargame.blogspot.com/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:51:47 AM »
I am currently working on the same project here in the US.  I am still researching my rules so I can give you a couple of suggestions.  
ATZ looks pretty good, but from what I can see it can get bogged down when you gets bunches of zeds on the board.  Your own house rules might be a good workaround.
Akula has his Total Ar:sed rules.  Quick simple, free, and will work with the great hordes of the undead.  
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/roweller/ARSE/akulasrules.pdf
The rules for Please Stand By, I shelved pretty quick.  It is GW mechanics skirmish zombie play.  If you are into it then go for it.  It is force on force so do not expect to overwhelm the survivors with zeds.    
7ombie TV looks pretty good.  It is again force on force, but I think that you can monkey with the rules to keep the zeds coming.  
For vehicles, each toy manufactures identified scale is different so do not get hung up on what is listed on the package.  This will link help you.  
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35847.0  The ruler was free, but you can do the same with a piece of paper.  Just mark a sheet of paper with the height of a 28mm fig, put it in your wallet, and when you see cars at the shop just measure to see if they look right.  I have about thirty that I have measured this way.  Most were $5.00 US.  
Zeds to survivor ratio:  I am on my second year working on this project and I have not stopped buying zeds.  Painted I am sat at at about 200 and I have another 100 or so to paint.  You can recycle them during play, but I like to make sure I can fill the streets if the scenario needs it.  
For the terrain board, and individual street litter, that is up to your budget and your abilities.  There are many manufactures for both buildings and other sundries.  If you have the ability you can make your own.  For me time is a factor.  I prefer to make five items like dumpsters, make molds and cast them to fill the board.  Again that is how I am doing it.  Others may not have the time, ability, budget, or pure anal retentiveness to do every object on the board.
Hope my ramblings helped in some way.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
  • "Now I have a machinegun. HO HO HO."
    • http://chucksnapwargames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:58:47 AM »
Something else you could do for jersey barriers, signs and the like is to take a look around dollar stores (or the Aussie equivalent) for children's road construction playsets. These often come with vehicles (which may or may not be in scale) and lots of goodies like signs, barriers, traffic cones, etc. Here in the states they are relatively easy to find, as well as being pretty cheap too. I think Commander Vyper used something similar.

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
I wasn't a fan of paper terrain either until I saw some in action at a store.
It's a compromise but I think that... depending on what your priorities are... for the price, and the savings on time it's worth it to at least start with paper terrain... and then build from there once you get the game on the table. At the moment I'd rather focus on painting figures... so I've been collecting the excellent Graffam kits (mostly fantasy so far).

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »
 Andrew at the local games club has done loads of paper terrain.Some great pieces are available.It has loads of advantages over resin stuff.Price,weight and storage too.For me I like resin for the extra detail.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
I got a lot of my dumpsters and extra type stuff from Black Cat:

http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=430_442&zenid=5a8d8ec04a35f1f939d2a77b7cce4e39

and Armorcast:  http://armorcast.com/

Jake
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »
You could use the Streets of Legends set from World Works Games for your general street and concrete layout, then just add pieces of foamcore cut to various sizes for buildings. If you use the optional building rules from ATZ, you dont need any interior detail anyway.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
If it's only roads you want, you'd better have a look at http://www.scalescenes.com/.
They look better than WWG.
Another great advantage of paper terrain is the weight (or rather, the abscence of it)
You can put a whole city in a large box and lift it without breaking your back  :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline jeffteaches

• Student
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
"...not a very good terrain maker..."

I highly recommend Matakishi's cork buildings! He gives easy-to-follow instructions with pictures, and cork is CHEAP!

http://www.matakishi.com/makingthings.htm

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
I think Commander Vyper used something similar.

No all my urban scenery, bar two recycling centres were from Ian at Fenris Games, Jed over at Antenocitis workshop & stuff from snapdragon and a few bits and pieces from Black cat.

The only 'toy' bits used were the wooden pallets, that were 1:50 from one of those diecast companies whose name escapes me.

What with worldworks and scalescenes also being mentioned by various people, (the combination of worldworks buildings and scalescenes roads being a little idea of mine ;)), you really should check out my zed thread. Also...

It's a compromise but I think that... depending on what your priorities are... for the price, and the savings on time it's worth it to at least start with paper terrain...

If you print at a high quality and build foamcore internal strutures to create long lasting buidlings then there's no compromise (or savings! :D).

Again I won't post shots here unless asked, so if you need any pointers go and take a look at said zed thread!

;)

The Commander
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:03:19 PM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
funnily enough i stumbled across matakis buildings last night and it seems like good terrain pieces that even i can do, i wouldn't necessarily say cork is cheap here but it is cheaper than many other terrain making materials.

i actually have read your thread post quite a few times commander Vyper and i think your boards pretty neat and i would definitely like to be able to create something like that one day.

im definitely going to be buying a few things from fenris games and amorcast as i think they have some really neat stuff that will go great with some of matakis building designs.

i am pretty sure im also going to go with akulas ar:se rules because they seem to be the most easy and fun to use but im definitely going to check out ATZ and many of the other zombie games out there.

ive had trouble finding some 1/43 scale vehicles so it looks like im going on an expedition to the city to go rummaging through the reject shop and have a wander over to the hobby supply store to see if i cant find some things to use on my board.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:19:57 PM »
In Oz, check out Toy stores for Die cast vehicles, some come with a scale printed on the box, there's plenty of 1:50 stuff.

Offline The Breaker

• Scientist
  • Enjoyably annoying
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 03:47:28 AM »
If you live in Sydney you could try King Of Cork in Willoughby for your building cork.
"We shot them under rule 303"