Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chain Reaction 2.0, Wasteland Warrior? Any opinions?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
Chain Reaction 2.0, Wasteland Warrior? Any opinions?
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:52:17 AM »
Maybe somebody used Chain Reaction 2.0 or Wasteland Warriors rules, any opinions about them? Of course I would probably find some info on the web but I wanted to hear an opinion from people who tested it.

I am looking for rules to play some post-nuclear skirmish battles with vehicles and maybe even some mutated monsters. If not CR or WW maybe something else?

PS As always sorry for my english

Offline abbot_amaury

• Librarian
    • http://www.amazing-tintales.de
Re: Chain Reaction 2.0, Wasteland Warrior? Any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 01:31:41 PM »
Hi RedGobbo,
Although I have to admit that I never play-tested it: Shockforce might be another nice rule set for post-nuclear skirmish settings. I read through  the rules once and I really liked it. If I will ever manage to paint some sf-minis I definately will give Shockforce a try...
For more (and especially more thorough) information you could try the WarEngine-Yahoo-group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/WarEngine/

Gruß, Hagen

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »
Thanks abbot_amaury

I found some info about Shockforce and it looks very promising.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:47:11 PM »
Do you know this site:

http://home.dejazzd.com/broadsword/Horror_Ecliptic/HE_Rules_Page01.html

All about Shockforce, including some nice and funny mini pics, and some links for further information.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 04:03:57 PM »
Shockforce is a good choice as others have brought up. I have played it several times and it is quite fast and easy. It's a d6 system and as long as you're looking for action and not realism, I think they work great.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 04:14:08 PM »
I've played Shockforce and Chain Reaction 1 but years ago so I hardly remember many details. I don't know CR 2.
Shockforce has a pretty decent design system for troops whilst the CR 1 design system is rahter rudimentary. Shockforce rolls lots of dice and figures die very fast. I think it handles more models than CR 1 does. CR is a bit more detailed and tactical because of the reaction system. I found the reaction system an interesting idea but it can make the game very defensive since sitting in cover and waiting give you the advantage. A realistic but not necessarily very exciting situation. Now this might be different in CR 2.

Alternatively I can recommend Supersytem 2, at the first glance no near future setting but the character designs system can be easily used for the topic, you can make monsters and it even handles vehicles very decent. Also the game system is very elegant. Downside is that making the detailed characters needs some time. If you are willing to invest some work beforehand I can recommend it wholeheartly.

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »
Thanks a lot for help and links.

Now I will have to buy two or three rulebooks  :D

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 10:16:36 PM »
If you're doing much vehicle vs. vehicle combat you could think about converting GW's "Gorkamorka". I remember it quite fast and easy going. But probably the character profiles can't be detailed that well...

I have seen something of interest (I'm still searching for the perfect Sci-Fi skirmish...) on www.freewargamesrules.co.uk a few weeks ago but have to look again for details.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...