Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690936
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm sci fi convoy...wagons roll!  (Read 3920 times)

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
15mm sci fi convoy...wagons roll!
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
I've been very enthusiastic about  15mm sci-fi since reading the eclipsing binaries and dropship horizon blogs. I particularly liked the idea of repainting die cast toys so when I read the LAF post about cheap APCs I hit poundland like some heavy thing dropping through the atmosphere...

I removed the missiles and filled the hole, cutting off the armoured shutters and gluing them over the view ports to give them a bit more of a 'buttoned down' feel.

I had to cover the holes that were left at the front of the roof with a rolled up chocolate wrapper to look like tarpaulin. I also cut up some sprue to look like ammo boxes and added some of the missile launcher pipes and 1:72 scale missile bits for stowage.

The APC on the right got a tank turret from a plastic mechwarrior clix figure so that the convoy could have an armoured car for fire support.

The second APC on the left got a warhammer space marine dish and a little tau gizmo box thing (just to the left of the dish) to represent the comms unit of the command group's ride.

I haven't painted any of the details but I have painted the base coat and dry brush for the hull and wheels was done.  I also based up the vehicles, which mainly playing with 28mm minis I have never done before, I'll add some flock once I have dry brushed the gravel.

I'm planning to use these models for two hour wargames 5150 Star Army – I have ATZ and really like the mechanics and solo play. There's some critical mass infantry on order to ride in the APCs as the galactic expeditionary force and a pile of random mech warrior and 15mm Indian mutiny (!) figures  to forge into a rag tag human rebel force for them to fight- although with my shiny wargame squirrel problem this might be a while :D

Comments & criticism welcome! 

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: 15mm sci fi convoy...wagons roll!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
They've painted up really nice! I hope mine are like that  :o Fortunately mine came with a turret (looks to be from a Bradley IFV) so I won't need to kitbash them much.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
Really cool !

Since they are convoy vehicules, you maybe could add some travel loadout, like gas, crates, ropes, etc... Like we can see on WW2 (for example) tanks campain convoys.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
Good start to your army. I'd like to see them when you finish.  The candy wrapper is an inspired solution to tarp stowage. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
Since they are convoy vehicules, you maybe could add some travel loadout, like gas, crates, ropes, etc... Like we can see on WW2 (for example) tanks campain convoys.

Sounds like a plan! I'll see if I can find some more stowage of the right scale...they do look a little bare the moment and I like heavily laden vehicles.

They've painted up really nice! I hope mine are like that   Fortunately mine came with a turret (looks to be from a Bradley IFV) so I won't need to kitbash them much.

Did you get yours from poundland? I might have to go back and have another look
Good start to your army. I'd like to see them when you finish.

Me too! I'll be doing some more painting this weekend so I should be able to finish them.

Unfortunetly I got my critical mass infantry sent to the wrong address so I have to go and pick them up...grrr

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:30:01 PM »
Did you get yours from poundland? I might have to go back and have another look

No, I'm Portuguese ;) But I bought mine in a local Toys R'Us. It looks like this (you can't see the cannon, it's facing the camera):

They are from their own Fastlane line (made in China) so they should be available in all Toys R'Us. It's a red pack with 4 vehicles. You can see them here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36489.msg428250#msg428250

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
Sounds like a plan! I'll see if I can find some more stowage of the right scale...they do look a little bare the moment and I like heavily laden vehicles.

A good way to create rolls of camo net, tents etc...is to use some fine medical gauze (for camo net), and cheap toilet paper for tents. Just roll it in small scale rolls, then attach it with some "rope", leather band, etc... (fine wire, plasticard). Once it's done, simply apply a coat of PVA glue (diluted) on them to make them hard as rock.

In the same idea, you can add some sand bags. Make a thin "saussage" of milliput, green stuff, of whatever, and cut small bits of them with a cutter or xacto knife. Then, put them on the vehicule until the modelling paste too dry, it will take a nice shape, like real heavy sand bags.

Then, add some scale accessories (weapons, tool, for example from 1/72 WW2 vehicules, even if it's not really on scale) balsa crates, etc...

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »
After a week of procrastinating I've finished up the four vehicles:

I have a fifth vehicle in the work and following sundayhero's advice I found some model accessories, I'll post the pics once I have got a little more work done on it.

No, I'm Portuguese  But I bought mine in a local Toys R'Us. It looks like this (you can't see the cannon, it's facing the camera):

Nice truck! I've built up some more turrets of my own but it would have been easier if they came with turrets!

I've brought my 5150 Star Army rules and checking what kind of vehicles I need (reinforcements come on randomly in the game, once the first vehicle comes on the next two are of the same type). I have to be flexible with what I have hence the turrets so that I can use the APCs as light/medium tanks in the game

I also painted up the first Star Army infantry squad:

Close up:

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
Nice, but the 25mm bases swamp the 15mm sculpts! If your determined to use slottas, (don't get me wrong I do for 99.999% of my stuff, but with 15mm I've gone for lasercut and 1p coins) go for the 20mm ones that Doug at E4-M.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Nice, but the 25mm bases swamp the 15mm sculpts! If your determined to use slottas, (don't get me wrong I do for 99.999% of my stuff, but with 15mm I've gone for lasercut and 1p coins) go for the 20mm ones that Doug at E4-M.

The Commander

Sorry for the stupid question, but where do you buy those lasercut bases and what's their size? I'm asking because I'm also building a 15mm force and I'm doing the same as the_inquisition! - using 25mm bases  :?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Lots of places but I would back Fenris Games, (Ian aka Geronimo) for those every thing. He has an evil mastermind sized "laser" too, it rocks!

:D

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »
Nice, but the 25mm bases swamp the 15mm sculpts!

Gah! I knew there was something I didn't like about them but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Rebased on 1ps:

I've got another squad to paint up, one more armoured car and a buck rogers starfighter for air support and that'll be the Star Army done for now...then rebel colonists, then terrain...then the other pile of stuff!