Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: pirates of the spanish main.  (Read 2811 times)

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
pirates of the spanish main.
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:04:31 PM »
i went thorougha ll pages and am pretty sure this hasnt been posted. so yeh. does anyone collect pirates from wizkids. the little ships. i have a quite vast collection with quite a few rares.
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:19:48 PM »
Yep, I collected all of Spanish Main, Crimson Coast, Revolution, and South China Seas.
Then they started going a bit more fantasy and a bit less piratey and ended up with vikings and VSF components which completely ruined the basic 'it's about pirates, stupid' premise - at which point I gave up on it for a bad job.

It's a great little game system though, some beautiful artwork and component engineering, and a lot of fun.

I and a group of friends played it to death for about a year, then we got bored with it. Still play once every now and then, normally massed fleet actions - forget about the treasure collecting, just 400-500 points a side, English v French or Americans or whatever...

Shamed they spoiled it by diverging from the central premise, although I believe the latest series is actually (finally) a legitimate licensing deal with Disney based on the actual POTC IPR, which might be worth a look...

I have about 1000 swaps from the first 5 sets though, including quite a few rares - so if there's anything you're looking for (and anything of interest you have to trade wargames wise  :wink: ) PM me, and I'll see if I can help you out though...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »
Yeah, I have quite a few of the little things. Also a lovely nautically-themed metal measuring tranklement that a good friend gave me as a gift, so that we don't have to use the sides of the cards as rulers.

I went a bit mad buying loads of packs for a while, the whole collecting card thing is kind of moorish, like cocaine. Takes me back to my youth and Panini football sticker albums. I blame that rascal Pete Murray. He was the pusher that got me into it with free samples.

Haven't played the game in an absolute age, though. Like many faddish things we went through it like a whirlwind and then forgot all about it. I suspect Wings of War will be the same.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 11:19:23 PM »
no tis just that i havent played them for a while. and what with my brother "too mature" im thinking of taking them and suggesting them as a game to the local club

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »
I have a bunch - and I was terribly fond of shipping duplicates off to Plynkes.

I like the game, but I haven't played it for months. But better than the game, I like the act of opening the pack of ships and building the little models. It really is addictive.

The ships are useful for all manner of things besides the core rules. I've used them as markers for plotting campaign movement and pre-boarding sailing for Under the Black Flag. I drafted some more complicated rules for sailing combat, but that fell by the wayside some time back.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 02:05:12 PM »
I have them too, if one of you needs some I can help :o)
Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 05:39:54 PM »
Yes, I have a load too. A bunch of us did a "Trafalgar" demo game at the Bicentennial anniversary using them & some homebrewed rules. It would have been impossible to afford [& paint] all the ships using metal models.

As an aside, my son & I are currently collecting their new Star Wars range. The models are badly out of scale with each other, but it's great fun :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »
Yep, me too. Love the game, tried to make a campaign system without much luck... haven't played it for about a year or so, though...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84