Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:53:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A small Japanese blog post  (Read 4558 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: A small Japanese blog post
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »
Thanks again chaps, the nice comments keep me going  :)

Funny though, they seem to make quite a lot of kits of various Samurai castles in different scales. Just thought this might appeal.

Again, these are either for the model railway enthusiasts or general modelmakers. There has been a resurgence over the past fifteen/twenty years or so for reconstructing the stone castle tenshu (the most familiar castle 'image') as the Japanese are embracing their past a bit more.

More recently there have been reconstructions of the more common wooden yamashiro as more sites have been unearthed.

The kits that you are on about don't really lend themselves to gaming and would only sit on the table edge as a backdrop for 6mm games (1/300 or thereabouts). There a some approximate 15mm scale religious buildings (1/100 or 1/150) that can be utilised. You can also find now more tenshu kits in a larger scale more suited to 28mm but these are wooden kits and should be treated as such. They can be changed into full colour gaming peices but really don't look the part.

Anyway, I'm rambling again  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
Cracking build :-* :-* :-*
I love the atmosphere you always manage to get into your builds.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 04:39:14 AM »
Cool. Always interesting to get a handle on what makes other cultures tick and I've always found Japanese populat culture a bit baffling with all those manga, cosplay, Hello Kitty, type cutey-kitsch obsessions.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 05:27:02 AM »

I'm a wargamer based in Tokyo for the last six or seven years, and I can confirm there's not much of a tabletop gaming scene here, for all the reasons that jimbibbly mentioned. And I've never once seen a Japanese historical/samurai wargame played here.

I do know some clubs around Tokyo where they play GW games, Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Malifaux, etc. These clubs usually rent a room and set up tables at local community centers to play on the weekend. Living space is at a premium here, and most people don't have room to game at home. There's also not really a culture of casually inviting your friends around to your house; people tend to entertain outside the house (at bars or restaurants or whatever).

But on the bright side, geek culture is pretty widespread here and non-gamers are mostly very accepting of modeling/gaming as a hobby, even for grown men who should have put aside childish pursuits years ago.

Back OT, this looks to be another lovely build, jimbib! I've been eyeing off all your J-scenery for a dream project which I'll start one day when i have more room.