Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:36:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry or Victrix naps?  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Matthew83

• Librarian
Perry or Victrix naps?
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
Hi all,

I'm considering a little fling with 28mm Napoleonics, if only to get to grips with painting the uniforms and wonder what your experiences are with the two.
Which of the two do you find easier to paint?
From the online pics I've seen, Victrix seem far more detailed but is this a benefit or does it require greater time and attention without much difference in the finished figures?
Have you purchased both and decided to drop one and continue with the other? if so, why?

It'd be good to know your thoughts before I take the plunge and buy the wrong figures.

Thanks in advance

Matt
2012 Paint tally
6mm: 920 purchased 239 painted
15mm: 170 purchased 2 painted
20mm: 40  purchased 109 painted
28mm: 213 purchased 10 painted

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Perry or Victrix naps?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »
If it's a consideration, then Victrix take more construction than Perry and Perrys have a huge range to add to them.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Matthew83

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »
ARGGH fiddly bits.

What about the Victrix plastic, does it set as well as Perry's with standard polycement?, I know some manufacturers figs have been a nightmare with the plastic seeming to melt at the point of contact.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »
Can't say about Victrix, but Perrys work nicely with normal polystyrene.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »
Assembling plastic kits is always fiddlier than using a metal figure straight from the blister (which in turn needs cleaning, anyway).
I have tried a few sets, and they vary a fair bit. So let's differentiate:

• Perry French infantry comes in three parts, body, right arm and rucksack. Almost no assembly - unless you want to use the head variants. Then you have to cut the ones already on the body off and replace them with (not fitting!) new ones from the sprue. Not my favourite experience, to say the least.
  • Victrix French infantry is the complete opposite, for they tried to give you as many choices as possible. That makes this set, however, a bit inconsistent, and some poses can look rather odd.
  • Perry British infantry consists of quite a few pieces. The assembly works better than with the aforementioned set, but is way more complex than their own French box set.
  • Victrix Austrian infantry seems to be the most advanced from this company. It has far less bits than their French kit but, at the same time, provides more variation than the Perry equivalent. To get an idea what's possible, please refer to the cover of the Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy magazine issue 58 - I know for sure that all the figures there were build from one single set. ;)

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the latest Perry sets like the Prussians or the upcoming Russians. They might well be of the same quality/complexity level as the new Victrix ones. However, both shouldn't be dismissed or chosen judging from just one box.

PS: No problem with melting plastic from Victrix.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »
Perrys new Prussians need the pack and heads fitted, but it does give variation on headgear and allows the option to buy the metal Fusilier packs and use them.  Warlords Prussian Landwehr are one piece castings with metal command.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »
The HAT plastic Naps only need there packs glued on.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Matthew83

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I reckon I'll try my luck with Perry British infantry, looking about the web there are a few criticisms/praises of both ranges but I guess that's inevitable, you like what you like.

The victrix Austrians had caught my eye but having searched out a few reviews it seems the march pose is incorrect, I agree it looks odd; the rifle being held by the forearm against the chest, a shame really.

Cheers

Matt

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 09:59:37 PM »
From what I gather that was an actual drill pose, just not used for marching. I've done a bit of reenacting and those manual of arms poses definitely were not designed for comfort. Perry plastics are good for mass assembly and painting, but Victrix are great for making vignettes and unique characters.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:17:11 PM »
I prefer the Victrix Naps to the Perrys, as I think the Victrix figures have a lot more personality and the Perrys are rather bland and generic. I've put both ranges together and there's no appreciable difference in how the plastic takes glue. Here are some sample of assembled Victrix figures (Frenchies):

One does see complaints on the internet about the fiddliness of the Victrix ranges (lots of pieces), but if you're used to assembling GW plastics it's no big deal.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Matthew83

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
I must say, they do look good Heldrak, that's the difficulty with napoleonics, the more you see - the more you want.
Think I'll email Perry's and Victrix and see if I can ponce a sample plastic from each.

Cheers

Matt

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 05:01:59 AM »
They are both great, Perry's may be a tad sharper but Victrix have more character and more pose options, get both and mix and match I reckon.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
Why not get both?... :D
You will need a lot of miniatures to play Napoleonics anyway.

I prefer Victrix to Perrys but I think its more fun to get that added variety to mix them both in an army.

Offline Matthew83

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:39 AM »
Mix and match sounds like the way to go.
If I like both samples in the flesh then I guess I'll do that.

Cheers

Matt

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:57:25 AM »
Dabbled with both and really can only echo whats been said. Perry nice and easy to put together but more limited in pose and Late war whilst victrix cover a wider period form early to late with more poses etc but are quite fiddly, if honest I flogged mine owing to the faff with putting the bits together ::) lol