Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord 'Horns of the Buffalo' 02 Jan 13 updated with laser cut wagon!  (Read 9005 times)

Offline inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
Re: Warlord 'Horns of the Buffalo' progress 24 March12 updated with kraal
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »
Nicely done. Cant wait to see when you have kwa Jims finished.
Coming along very nicely!  :-*

I'd sure like to have some of those mealie bag terrain pieces, but I doubt they will be available anytime soon.
Me too. The mealie bad redoubt is available seperately now but a few corners and straight sections would be very handy.
Minima maxima sunt

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »
The mealie bad redoubt is available seperately now

Where is that? Couldn't find it on the Empress site.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »
Where is that? Couldn't find it on the Empress site.

Warlord sells it:  http://store.warlordgames.com/warlord-games-580-c.asp

Jake
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Thanks!

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
I FINALLY have done more work on this set.   The week prior to Easter I primed the resin biscuit box and biscuit box/mealie bag barricades.   Then I cleared off my painting area so we could eatEaster dinner!   lol

I finally got motivated to get the paints and lamp back out and knock these out.   Here are some pictures.   In progress shots and more pictures can be found at the link at the end of this post.   

Jake

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/CptJake_Minis/Rorkes%20Drift%20project/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Looking good! The texture on those bags came out great.

I need to get to work on my set :P

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
I love the barricades.  :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Me too!

Well done, and coming along nicely.

Offline bill cainan

• Lurker
CptJake

A few points - though probably posted too late for you.

1. The colonial ox wagons were invariable painted green with red wheels - the colours of the available preservatives.  There are three (that I know of) surviving examples in various museums in KwaZulu Natal - all painted in those colours.

2. The stones forming the rough stone kraal at the eastern end of the mission staion are all reddish-brown, not grey.

3.  With regard to the mealie sacks - there is an interesting discussion currently on going on the AZW web site www.rorkesdriftvc.com which is discussing likely markings on these bags/sacks.

I will see if I can dig out some pictures of the wagons and will post them on the site.

Bill

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
CptJake

A few points - though probably posted too late for you.

1. The colonial ox wagons were invariable painted green with red wheels - the colours of the available preservatives.  There are three (that I know of) surviving examples in various museums in KwaZulu Natal - all painted in those colours.

2. The stones forming the rough stone kraal at the eastern end of the mission staion are all reddish-brown, not grey.

3.  With regard to the mealie sacks - there is an interesting discussion currently on going on the AZW web site www.rorkesdriftvc.com which is discussing likely markings on these bags/sacks.

I will see if I can dig out some pictures of the wagons and will post them on the site.

Bill

When I asked about wagon colors ( http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36898.0 ) I got different info which led me to the color I used.  And after a lot of looking at various websites was pretty happy with the blue/gray color being a good one to go with.   Similarly, the mealie bag question, I went with the info I had and frankly didn't feel like dealing with a crap ton of markings that at scale would have probably been faded and hard to see anyway.

Yep, my rocks are too grey.  I wanted more contrast between them and the browns/tans/beige of the other barricade parts.

:D

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
I haven't really investigated my Horns set fully, is there a gate, or opening in the kraal? How does one get the cattle in, or out?

Offline Notts Gamer

• Librarian

1. The colonial ox wagons were invariable painted green with red wheels - the colours of the available preservatives.  There are three (that I know of) surviving examples in various museums in KwaZulu Natal - all painted in those colours.

3.  With regard to the mealie sacks - there is an interesting discussion currently on going on the AZW web site www.rorkesdriftvc.com which is discussing likely markings on these bags/sacks.

Oh cack...that's me re-painting my Rorke's Drift set up, in time for the Stoke Challenge, in July.......

Offline Notts Gamer

• Librarian
Re: Warlord 'Horns of the Buffalo' progress 5 Feb 12 updated with wagons
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
Those are possibly the most realistic looking sandbags I have ever seen.

Yep, if they were three parts empty....the mealie bags supposedly weighed 200lbs each (around 90kgs in Euro-weight).....I can't help thinking these ones look like a flattened pillow (albeit very nicely painted)

I can't help thinking (spending my life shifting 25kg bags of flour around) that they should be a whole lot bigger........

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
I haven't really investigated my Horns set fully, is there a gate, or opening in the kraal? How does one get the cattle in, or out?
lol
Gotta raise those African Jumping Cattle.  No gates in the set though I think Warlord now have gates and corners you can purchase.

I intend to just leave a gap for now.

Jake

Offline bill cainan

• Lurker
Hi

herewith as promised, some photos of colonial ox wagons - at Fort Durnford, Fort Nonquai and at Talana Museum.

Bill