Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:13:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Flight Games releases pre-painted Lovecraftian Monsters  (Read 10369 times)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Fantasy Flight Games releases pre-painted Lovecraftian Monsters
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »
As seen on TGN:

Fantasy flight Games brings pre-painted Mansions of Madness / Arkham Horror miniatures.

It seemed to be a sort of monster [...] of a form which only a diseased fancy could conceive. [...] A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque and scaly body with rudimentary wings; but it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful.
     – H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Otherworldly horrors tear at the thin fabric of reality, seeking to intrude on our dimension for their own inscrutable purposes. To look upon their terrifying forms is to risk insanity, for these shapeless beasts have a strange, almost mesmerizing beauty. Those unfortunate individuals who lay eyes on such cosmic abominations are often drawn inexplicably toward them, and into their own merciful demise.

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce that the first wave of premium Arkham Horror Monster Figures is now available for sale through our webstore! Joining the already complete lineup of Arkham Horror Investigators, these stunning hand-painted figures will further enhance the visual impact of your favorite Lovecraftian board game. What's more, each monster's base is designed with a slot to accommodate its monster token from Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2993
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:04:33 PM by Cherno »

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fantasy Flight Games releases pre-painted Lovecraftian Monsters
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
My personal opinion:

Good idea making them compatible with both Arkham Horror and Mansions Of Madness. The quality seems to be good too, if these are actual production models.

However, I don’t like how the Dunwich Horror is represented, the legs are too stumpy (looks like they took that “footprints like tree stumps” thing too literal!) and the face far too small, in the story one person said that the face was yards across and not human-sized. Then again, having only caught a glimpse of it through a telescope, he could have been wrong. Anyway, I like the drawing of it in the Call of Cthulhu supplement “Dunwich Horror” better.

The prices seem to be fair, too, at about 3.99 USD per human-sized figure and 9.99 for larger ones.

Offline graff von bek

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:51 AM »
wow nice figures wonder if theren will be available here in the uk ?

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Not really convinced about these...

The paint job should be done again, since most of them look like they were painted by a half blind painter :/. Anyway might buy a few to repaint and use in 15mm

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
However, I don’t like how the Dunwich Horror is represented, the legs are too stumpy (looks like they took that “footprints like tree stumps” thing too literal!) and the face far too small, in the story one person said that the face was yards across and not human-sized
Also there is the fact that it was described as "haf-face on top", not a full face. The Dunwich Horror is one of the best described HPL monstrosities so the representations should be more consistent than they tend to be. But this FFG one freaky enough to use as some other hybrid thingy.

I understood from the FFG site that these will be officially available only directly from them. Which makes them a bit hard and/or expensive to get outside of the good ole U. S. of A ATM. The expensive bit being the postage and packing fee (assuming FFG sells them to Europe in the 1st place), the prices of minis themselves don't seem too bad considering.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:55:44 PM by tnjrp »

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
Not really convinced about these...

The paint job should be done again, since most of them look like they were painted by a half blind painter :/. Anyway might buy a few to repaint and use in 15mm

I think these monsters look stunning for a pre-painted miniature, compared to the FFG Arkham prepaint Investigators or better yet the DnD prepaints. The cultist there is a little weak**, admittedly- but I think a lot of people will love to have these for MoM oir Arkham Horror.

Though I would imagine it hard to stack these figures in Arkham, when save you have 3+ monsters in one street.

**edit: "more than typical"

Offline Reptorama

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »
Fantasy Flight's postage to the UK was a little expensive (more than the figures) but I found that Funagain had them in stock and would ship them for a very reasonable price (and only a week too).

I thought I would take some photos so that people could see the quality of the production paintjobs and check the scale compared to the other miniatures in the set. The Monsters are painted by Fantasy Fight, the characters are painted by a talented figure painter from Scotland (sadly not me).

I'm looking forward to seeing the rules to play these in the game. The Dark Young is excellent.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »
Fantasy Flight's postage to the UK was a little expensive (more than the figures) but I found that Funagain had them in stock and would ship them for a very reasonable price (and only a week too)
It's good to know they are available from elsewhere than FFG because indeed the p&p from them used to be - and apparently still is - rather excessive.

I assume that you mean >this< Funagain? Looks like >Miniature Market< (know to offer great discounts, almost but not quite cancelled by their exhorbitant p&p to countries other than USA) is going to get them too although I couldn't find anything but the full set for preorder at this time.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:11:58 AM by tnjrp »

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:07:09 AM »
You mentioned being excited to see the rules- do these figures come with rules to incorporate into MoM? Because in all the expansions, one shots, and core, there are no (to my understanding) scenarios with Dark Young or Son of Yog...

Offline ancient one

• Bookworm
  • ....he's behind me right
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
Not yet any way! (just a feeling).

Offline Reptorama

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 06:39:57 AM »
No, there were no rules or cards for them. The back of the box says they are compatible with Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness so I guess the rules are coming soon.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:40 AM »
I'm okay with the Dunwich Horror's feet/legs, and I feel the issue with the face is not that the face is too small, but rather that the figure as whole is too small. This IMO is a 6mm Dunwich Horror, not 28mm.

The Dark Young is... okay, but a little cartoonish in style for my taste. I feel like that's maybe what a DY would look like if one showed up in a TMNT episode.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:52:16 PM »
Yeah the style is definitely a bot cartoonish, especially the big lips on that Dark Young. The paintjob is ok however, for a prepaint anyway.

The Monsters are painted by Fantasy Fight

I assume you actually mean that they have been painted by some Chinese "assembly line artist" rather than at FFG's?  ;)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »
Yeah the style is definitely a bot cartoonish, especially the big lips on that Dark Young
You could paint them fetching pink to add insult to injury :P

I put an order in at FunAgain, but it's waiting for a restock. Which, with luck, shall arrive one day :?

Offline Battousai_the_Kibble_Slay

• Student
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
 :-* OOH! Wiggley, squiggly, and squrimy, just the way I like it!
I won't use my secret Tae Kwon Do powers for evil