Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:32:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Slouch hatses?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Slouch hatses?
« on: September 25, 2018, 06:25:50 AM »
What  is the difference, if any, between the digger slouch hat and the Gurkha hat (not the pillbox)? I know kiwis use  the leamon squeezer design but I really can tell about the others, excewpt that teh Light Horse seems to pin one side of the brim to the crown.

I am asking since I am considering some headswaps.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Slouch hatses?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »
The difference only seems to be in the wearing of it (apart from the Light Horse with their feathers). I don't recall ever seeing a pic of a Gurkha wearing one with the side pinned up, which was very common with the Aussies (supposedly so that it does not interfere with one's rifle when marching and drilling). While not universal, the Gurkhas in more formal settings seem to like achieving a similar effect by wearing theirs at a jaunty angle, sloping on the right side of their head like a cavalryman's pillbox cap.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:31:07 AM »
Differences? Leaving aside the number of folds in puggarees or the fact that the  Australian slouch (HAt Khaki Felt Fur) was made from rabbit and other minutiae the principal difference would be that the Gurkha terai is traditionally, at least since the interwar period at least, constructed of two hats, one sewn inside the other. This makes it a somewhat stiffer item than the Aussie slouch.

In miniature, probably no discernible difference, although the top crease usually seems more pronounced on Australian versions, as the material isn't as stiff. Gurkha hats were occasionally turned up.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:11:54 AM »
Differences? Leaving aside the number of folds in puggarees or the fact that the  Australian slouch (HAt Khaki Felt Fur) was made from rabbit and other minutiae the principal difference would be that the Gurkha terai is traditionally, at least since the interwar period at least, constructed of two hats, one sewn inside the other. This makes it a somewhat stiffer item than the Aussie slouch.

In miniature, probably no discernible difference, although the top crease usually seems more pronounced on Australian versions, as the material isn't as stiff. Gurkha hats were occasionally turned up.

Interesting. Well, for me it is. :)