Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lead Painters' League Season 6 Rules  (Read 68661 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Re: Lead Painters' League Season 6 Rules
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »
A question regarding digital composition and photo manipulation...

I see some entries this round have black borders on their close up insets (is that the proper word?) and also some have a black border around the whole image. I thought this was not allowed and have thus refrained from using it on my entries. Could you just clarify this for future rounds, prof? I don't want any current entries disqualified or penalised - just want to know what the rulings are. =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »
Black borders aren't fobidden in the current rules as far as I know. Though I wouldn't allow an excessive using of them.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »
That's actually fair to bring up phreedh. I can only presume you're thinking of my last four entries, as I didn't notice any other entries having borders. They may have been on other people's, but I don't consider a border element to be part of the image so I didn't pay them any heed if they were included. They're kind of like a matboard framing a drawing in a gallery, if done right I don't notice them.

I suppose one could strictly consider framing elements to be "Comic Layout" which is indeed forbidden- when I read that rule I guess I didn't consider borders to imply a narrative/sequential 'story' framework, which I assume that rule was aimed at. I certainly didn't consider negative space to be an 'effect' either, in contrast to blending bases, glowing lights, or adding new skies.

Just to state my case, I don't like the way the edges of some image montages blend together visually and I wanted some separation. It really isn't anything tricky either, just four images cropped to certain sizes and pasted on a black background- so no selection functions or effects at all. It never crossed my mind that negative space/borders would be a problem according to the rules, and I would hope that if it raised any red flags the Prof. would have told me to change up the entries- all mine have been in a couple days early so far so it would have been easy to resubmit.

If the organizers want to penalize me in some fashion, or make a ruling that no further borders be made in the future, I'll accept it.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2012, 11:23:26 PM »
My latest entry has narrow white borders, to avoid blending, so to be fair its not just black lines.  :-)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2012, 12:18:28 AM »
I tried real hard on my first couple entries to get the size of the close up detail pictures to fit just right into the 800pixels across, but it is a lot of work, for one, the math made my brain hurt  :? and for two, trying to select just the right spot to past it in and have it not go over one direction or the other was very hit & miss, so those two I ended up with distracting white around some, so when redoing them selected a neutral color for the background. of the document.

saw some using black, liked that so used it for my current entry.

just my 2 cents, I don't think it's breaking the spirit of the 'no photo enhancement or manipulation' guidelines (but it's not my decision), since it isn't about the photo of the mini. You have to have some kind of color for the background of the document if you're having more than one picture, does it matter what the color is? I don't think it is photo manipulation to pick a less distracting color like black over white. and if black is the background of the document, it distracts less to have a black border around it all than to just have it separating the detail pictures.

if it's ruled that a picture can't have a color other than white for the background, or can't have a border, or can't have any background showing, I'll try to make that work- but with adding close up pictures that can be hard to do without this.
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2012, 03:39:50 AM »
Of course, the easy way around all this is to just take one picture.  ;)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »
Although this was the first time I used a closeup on one of my entries, I do like them.  Every round, there are some that I wish I could see a bit closer to properly judge the quality.  So, I would like to see the closeups remain (they are also a good way to show the other side of a figure).

Mike Demana

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
I can only presume you're thinking of my last four entries
Nope, not really - I just remembered I had seen it - not on which entries. =) I know there are a few others also using it.

Just to state my case, I don't like the way the edges of some image montages blend together visually and I wanted some separation.
Precisely my feelings, and I would like to know where the rules stand as I want to use a simple 2px black or white border separating the individual close ups for exactly the same reason you give. =) Now I know it's ok, so all is well. =D

If the organizers want to penalize me in some fashion, or make a ruling that no further borders be made in the future, I'll accept it.
No penalties called for.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2012, 09:26:45 AM »
Quote from: phreedh
I see some entries this round have black borders on their close up insets
interesting ... didn't noticed it, but I know, that I wouldn't use any of the limited 800 pixels for any "frame" ... least of all "useless" black pixels!

I even filled in the close-ups without anything framlike - to me they are still recoknizable* as "zooms".

So ... why (or how) can uni-coloured frames be an advantage?

best wishes
Drachenklinge

* soory, never know where to put the c's and k's

per EDIT
now, I understand the point, but see it differently on (zoom) pix with minis or even complete frames
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:44:55 AM by Drachenklinge »
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
So ... why (or how) can uni-coloured frames be an advantage?
For the same reason shading and blacklining is used on miniatures; to contrast and separate two adjacent areas.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #235 on: April 08, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
question!
when a round is over (say, the next one started, e.g.) is it then allowed to post the pix elsewhere, or does the whole LPL has to be ended?

You can post your entry anywhere once the round (and voting) is over.
Restrictions only apply while the entry is in "competition" being voted on.

hm ... didn't realize it back then, but ... I now have a double entry ... means: same pic, different/next round - so it's already known, the former voting before is already closed ... may I link it somewhere now, though it is still a valid round?

to be more precise: is the "forbidden to show" argument called for "not new" or "still voting"

sorry ;D

best wishes
Drachenklinge
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:40:43 PM by Drachenklinge »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2012, 08:21:23 AM »
hm ... didn't realize it back then, but ... I now have a double entry ... means: same pic, different/next round - so it's already known, the former voting before is already closed ... may I link it somewhere now, though it is still a valid round?

to be more precise: is the "forbidden to show" argument called for "not new" or "still voting"

It's still a valid round so better not to show them elsewhere on the web.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2012, 06:57:27 PM »
Is it my bad Math skills or is there something I don't understand 294+135 is not 425... o_o The other polls also have strange outcomes...  

When Karl met Kremlo (Thansants)    294 (68.5%)
The Cousins (Za_Zjurman)              135 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 425
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:14:32 PM by Za Zjurman »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »
I've deleted today about 50 of the zero-posts-members, guess some of them were voting on the LPL. The total amount of votes has been recounted but not the votes. We had that in the early seasons as well. It's a pity the people are going to vote and don't care to write at least one post.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #239 on: April 17, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »
I've deleted today about 50 of the zero-posts-members, guess some of them were voting on the LPL. The total amount of votes has been recounted but not the votes. We had that in the early seasons as well. It's a pity the people are going to vote and don't care to write at least one post.

Thanx, being a historian I know I am very bad with numbers so I started doubting myself  lol