Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League Season 6  (Read 99378 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: The Lead Painters' League Season 6
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »
I like the new rules. They weed out entries made without any dedication and I think we'll see a concentration of good stuff. The limitation of participants makes the voting better to, I think. With many, I think you get a 'negative marginal enjoyment' effect on those who vote. So better entries and better votes, one hopes.

I think picture manipulation has little effect on the votes so I think you may just as well disallow them. You get 'cleaner' presentations that way. I liked doing some of that myself, but I think the display should speak for itself. I am glad no one has thought of going all the way and disallowed scenery. I think that  is a big part of the enjoyment and what makes LPL different.

Looking at the Theme Bonus Rounds, (Tolkien and Maritime, my, my...!) I think this would be a season very much to my tastes and my lead mountain. I've been waiting to return to my Mithril stuff for ages, especially an 'Unexpected party' piece I have. Unfortunately, with the LPL starting already in February I see little hope of being able to make it with the new three entry rule. I have limited time and commission commitments. Too bad, but there it is.

Good luck, everyone. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:34:14 PM by Hammers »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
Unfortunately, with the LPL starting already in February I see little hope of being able to make it with the new three entry rule.

Actually it will start in March. So you still have almost 6 weeks to paint 15 figs and to make the deadline.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »
Actually it will start in March. So you still have almost 6 weeks to paint 15 figs and to make the deadline.

I am sure it will be enough for many members.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »
Small teams, Peder, small teams... That's what you need to maintain your sanity in the LPL ;)

(But I know very well, you just cannot resist the grand, sweeping scenes with a sh*tload of characters lol)

I hope we can tempt you :)

Offline artshiraz

• Scientist
    • http://miniatures.mehlinger.net/
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »
Greetings
I think picture manipulation has little effect on the votes so I think you may just as well disallow them. You get 'cleaner' presentations that way.
Granted. But the "charm" of more than a few entries was that comicbook approach. The more that I think about it though, the more it makes sense to show the teams and only the teams. On the other side, entries without scenery .. photographed in front of a sheet of white paper would make the whole competition extremely dull. For my part the combination of well painted miniatures in appropriate scenery makes a lot of wow-effect.

I've been waiting to return to my Mithril stuff for ages, especially an 'Unexpected party' piece I have. Unfortunately, with the LPL starting already in February I see little hope of being able to make it with the new three entry rule. I have limited time and commission commitments. Too bad, but there it is.
My god ... you're nuts .. in a positive sense :D I saw the "party" piece just yesterday. Just now I'm overwhelmed both by the multitude of minis .. and the price. I know I couldn't finish that one on time. You have my respect. But you knew that already  :) It's good to read though that other people have Mithril Figures too.

And just like you wrote ...Good luck to everyone involved .. or hoping to be involved  lol

Jo
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:29:13 PM by artshiraz »
50°17\\\'60N  8°16\\\'0E

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »
On the other side, entries without scenery .. photographed in front of a sheet of white paper would make the whole competition extremely dull. For my part the combination of well painted miniatures in appropriate scenery makes a lot of wow-effect.

Scenery/terrain is still allowed.

Only "photoshoping" and putting of photo-, painting- and other backdrops is forbidden.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »
Only "photoshoping" and putting of photo-, painting- and other backdrops is forbidden.

No digitally inserted backgrounds. Got it.

Last season I put one of my large oil paintings with an expansive sky in the background of most of my photos. Is it permissible to have a physical backdrop that is included in the picture? I think some people printed out a sky using their inkjet.

If not, no worries, I just want to be clear.

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
No digital or physical backgrounds as you wouldn't really see the difference.

Only figures, terrain and plain background, please.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
But a simple blue gradiant that one prints out and uses as a plain paper backdrop would be ok?
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
But a simple blue gradiant that one prints out and uses as a plain paper backdrop would be ok?

Yes, of course, that would be fine. We just don't want any clouds, mountains and other stuff like this.

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
No digital or physical backgrounds as you wouldn't really see the difference.

Only figures, terrain and plain background, please.

This actually saves my LPL, I *wanted* to make actual paintings for all the backgrounds like I did with my Dune thing last year, only to realise I could never pull those off as I had did zip so far

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 10:00:10 PM »
I'm seriously wondering if my brownie points balance with the memsahib is in enough credit for me to retreat to the painting desk for long enough for me to enter. The bonus rounds line up with my painting plans anyway so....

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
Would love to enter for the first time, just need to see if I can get 15 figures painted in  6 weeks, but that is about half of what i painted last year (the shame), but do want to up output this year hopefully the LPL will be the way to go.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 04:13:34 AM »
It was hard to keep up the pace but being in the LPL definitely improved my painting and productivity.  I might have to give it another go if I can get the first few teams completed. I should have enough old figures for the first round in one of these boxes...
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 07:41:23 AM »
First round chosen, (cheers Dozing Dragon ;)) prepped and undercoated.All set to go :D Now where did I keep my enamels :o
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.