Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 519
Total: 525

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League Season 6  (Read 99333 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters' League Season 6
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »
What happens if you receive 51 qualifying emails at 12 noon on the "opening" day?

I would take the first 50 :)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
Oooh, this is an intriguing LPL :)

Already been looking into the lead pile yesterday and there is definitely enough in there that wants to be painted...  but how to chose...  the most scary thing is actually that 20 year old miniatures category made me think back to when I started around with heroquest....  I still fondly remember the first models I bought, Sam and Frodo from mithril miniatures in a GW store in Paris and later on a blister of GW pygmies when I finally found a store near hometown  :)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
Am I the only would-be participant who has had to "acquire" suitably aged figures?   :?

And thank heavens for year stamps on the underside of those bases. 

Offline artshiraz

• Scientist
    • http://miniatures.mehlinger.net/
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
Greetings
Am I the only would-be participant who has had to "acquire" suitably aged figures?   :?
And thank heavens for year stamps on the underside of those bases. 
nope. The oldest of my collection seems to be the Dennis Mizze's "Slave Auction" Set ... and those are from '95  :'(
With the announcement of LPL 6 though I was off to ebay and auctioned a set old Ral Partha Minis. I hope those will be the correct age. I am not really sure though since I read a lot of "new, recasted of old moulds" on a lot of ebay mini sales. Those "new" figures would be minis casted this last few years I guess but the original mould would have been from the 80s. Not sure if that would be bonus or not.

Anyway -for myself- I thought about preparing a 10th group non-less. Probably a set of those Dennis Mizze Minis since I have them for ages and they have not yet been painted. And the original goal for LPL was to reduce the unpainted Lead mountain. I will forfeit the bonus points but still have an entry  ;D And since there are so much people here who are painting better than myself I don't mind it.

The problem I see coming though will be the fact that on the first submission day the entries will probably "bombard" the prof's lpl email address right after starting time. Reading the interested posts here I wonder if the submission will not be full a quarter of an hour after submission start  ???

Anyway there is too much unpainted lead here around and not sooo much time left. Back to the brushes
Jo
50°17\\\'60N  8°16\\\'0E

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »
The problem I see coming though will be the fact that on the first submission day the entries will probably "bombard" the prof's lpl email address right after starting time. Reading the interested posts here I wonder if the submission will not be full a quarter of an hour after submission start  ???

I wondered that too.  On the other hand, I'm one of those who is interested in entering, but may not have enough time to paint 15 figures to an acceptable standard (acceptable to me, that is) in the time allowed.  Going to have a damn good try though, as I missed the last two LPL   :)  And the one I came third, or was it second? happened before medals were awarded.  :(

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
I actually fear I will drop out due to the deadline, I start to work at 13hrs here, which equals... noon 12 GMT.

So I`ll just be back around 19hrs my time, so chances are pretty big in those 6 hrs the places could have been filled

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
On the other hand, I'm one of those who is interested in entering

How cool is that  ;D

Brute power painting! Hope you make it in!

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »
If it helps, I don't think that I'll be taking part.  I've just had a huge clearout, and what's left of my leadpile is relatively focused on a couple of projects which don't particularly fit the 5 figures-or-so warband model, nor accord with the bonus round themes.  Also, I doubt that I have the discipline to produce a new entry every week, and would rather leave room for a competitor who can do that.

So I'm just looking forward to seeing the work of painters more prolific and varied than me.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
Anyone buying my orcs are getting certified 80s models. What orcs are that? Oh, why sir - the ones in this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36539.0
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 03:51:13 AM »
If I was up for stripping some enamel I would have figures from 1976 to work on. Luckily though I have some old metal dwarf's and skaven from 1991 I can just paint.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 08:31:26 AM »
I wondered that too.  On the other hand, I'm one of those who is interested in entering, but may not have enough time to paint 15 figures to an acceptable standard (acceptable to me, that is) in the time allowed.  Going to have a damn good try though, as I missed the last two LPL   :)  And the one I came third, or was it second? happened before medals were awarded.  :(

If you want to find some nice (old) gems, try the old hobby products range that I think can still be bought from Mega Miniatures. I know I bought all of them, when they were only 1$ each and yesterday checked the release date, which was around 1988 :) I think that the Josef Ochman (?) sculpts will fit very well with you painting style as well. They also have the old Julie Guthrie (old grenadier) sculpts, which are great as well.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:58 AM »
If you want to find some nice (old) gems, try the old hobby products range that I think can still be bought from Mega Miniatures. I know I bought all of them, when they were only 1$ each and yesterday checked the release date, which was around 1988 :) I think that the Josef Ochman (?) sculpts will fit very well with you painting style as well. They also have the old Julie Guthrie (old grenadier) sculpts, which are great as well.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm already sorted with the figures I need, providing the postal service does not fail me.  Still a time issue though for me.  I'll do my best.   :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
I wouldn't have any problems finding old minis - it's the motivation to get them prepared, primed and painted that fails me atm.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:11:00 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
A trip into the loft last night produced the first metal miniatures I ever bought (by sending off a postal order!).  Some very old Peter Laing 15mm Colonials that I sentimentally can't bring myself to strip.  The lack of detail compared to modern miniatures wouldn't help me much either.

The next bunch were some old Ral Partha (Citadel?) 25mm fantasy miniatures that I spent many happy hours playing D&D (blue book) with 30+ years ago.  They seem so small next to modern equivalents.  The question is whether I want to strip the old enamel paint from them for a modern repaint.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

The next bunch were some old Ral Partha (Citadel?) 25mm fantasy miniatures that I spent many happy hours playing D&D (blue book) with 30+ years ago.  They seem so small next to modern equivalents. 

You said it.
I've made a start on my old lead, and I'm going boss-eyed!  o_o