Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:54:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690614
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Classic pulp weapons  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
Classic pulp weapons
« on: December 22, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »
I put some thought into what would be considered the 'classic' pulp weapons thismorning and I got what I thought would be a working list, any additions or comments welcome.

Pistol- Broomhandle mauser wins with the artillery luger in second place.

SMG- Thompson 1928 with a drum mag and a bergmann second.

Rifle- difficult to say, theres not much between bolt action rifles maybe mauser by default.

LMG- Lewis gun then MG08/15

MMG- I could only come up with a maxim I don't think others like the Colt potato digger or hotchkiss quite suit the role.

Stu

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Classic pulp weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 11:36:53 AM »
I can't comment on the other categories, but as for pistols, when I think of Pulp, I usually imagine a S&W .38 special or a Colt 1911A1 .45. Both of these would be for American hero types. British heroes would use a Webley.

The Mauser and Luger are in the mix, but only for bad guys.

Just my thoughts.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Classic pulp weapons
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »
Quote from: "JollyBob"
The Mauser and Luger are in the mix, but only for bad guys.

The Mauser is certainly not only a bad guy weapon. Churchill, among many other British, Russians, Chinese, ......... (fill in the blank space), used a Broomhandle during teh Boer War.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Classic pulp weapons
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »
Fair enough Hammers, but like I said, it's just how it appears to my mind, especially in a Pulp setting.

I can't see Jim Diamond, P.I. pulling one out of his trenchcoat, but I can see Otto Krankenmacher the Fifth Columnist having one.

I guess it just depends on how you interpret Pulp, really, and that's a very lengthy argument that does no-one any good.  :lol:

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
Re: Classic pulp weapons
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:02:11 AM »
Quote from: "Big Guy"
I put some thought into what would be considered the 'classic' pulp weapons thismorning and I got what I thought would be a working list, any additions or comments welcome.

Pistol- Broomhandle mauser wins with the artillery luger in second place.

SMG- Thompson 1928 with a drum mag and a bergmann second.

Rifle- difficult to say, theres not much between bolt action rifles maybe mauser by default.

LMG- Lewis gun then MG08/15

MMG- I could only come up with a maxim I don't think others like the Colt potato digger or hotchkiss quite suit the role.

Stu

Pistol: For dashing English gentlemen: Webley
          For your all American hero: Colt .45
          For your White Russian or Commissar the M1895 Nagant
          For bad guys, it must be the Luger

SMG: Thompson or MP18/MP28 or Bergmann (which dates from 1932)

Rifle: The Mauser really was the AK47 of the 20's and 30's - many countries adopted it or manufactured it under license: even the Springfield was based on the Mauser. So Mauser it must be, closely followed by the Enfield and Mosin Nagant.

LMG: I can't really see the MG08/15 being that popular when the Lewis and Browning BAR are available.

MMG: Any of the contemporaries really - depends on the setting so Browning M1919 for US based/backed adventures, Vickers for British, MG08 for Germans, Hotchkiss for French and the Maxim for Russian.

Shotguns: For your English gent or German count it really has to be a double barreled Purdey or similar, for the rest of the world the Winchester Model 1887/1901 lever action or Winchester Model 1897 pump shotgun.  Bad guys could also opt for a saw-off.
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....