Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:36:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 7 AD - somewhere in Germania (upd. 14.06.15 - more Germans)  (Read 74608 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: 7 AD - somewhere in Germania
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »
So are you going to be looking for Caesarian Legionnaires?

I've done a boat load of roman armies and I have a huge pile of Foundry Punic Wars minis (Republican Romans, Greeks, Spaniards, cavalry, peltasts...)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »
For a moment there I wondered if 7AD was a new variant of 7TV.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
Well, you always have your Asterix Romans to fall back on...  ;)

no, unfortunately they were a comission work  :)

another fine looking project! looks promissing :)

regarding romans, I think these guys are very good:
http://www.aventineminiatures.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=53_74
and very copplestone like

they are truly fantastic figures but how Mad Doc and VonMoltke already said, they are for later periods, first of all wrong helmets.

No idea if the Lorica Segmentata has been worn at Teutoburg, there are lots of opinions and evidences for and against.

But I'm not really mad about using fighures with Lorica so it's not that important, I'll get some figures with chain mail just like that guy from museum in Bonn:

A good book with many illustrations is the new:
http://www.amazon.de/Das-Heer-Varus-Hilfstruppen-Trachtzubeh%C3%B6r/dp/3938447524

looks like a good book, thanks for the hint.

So are you going to be looking for Caesarian Legionnaires?

Maybe, but I don't need legions of them, about  15-20 different figs for some skirmishing. Could you send me some pics?

Offline VonMoltke

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »
That some legionaries wore the now named "kalkriese lorica" is fact,
They have find lorica segmentata fittings on the battlefield.
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/kalklor.html
http://varusforschung.geschichte-multimedial.net/pages/militaria.html

Last year there had been other finds of lorica segmentata dated from historicans before BC.

So lorica has be in use ;)

Also osprey is not everytime correct, also they have pictures in their book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/1846035813/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

Inside the book there is a nice picture, where legionaries in lorica segmentata, others in mail, try one german wall to storm.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
Could you send me some pics?

I'll have to dig around, but sure.

However, they are Republican Romans, so they are not wearing the Weisenau type helmet you show in your photo, but the earlier Montefortino. The majority of the infantry have little armor, though the triarii do have chain mail.

You interested in any cavalry or skirmishers?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
That some legionaries wore the now named "kalkriese lorica" is fact,
They have find lorica segmentata fittings on the battlefield.
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/kalklor.html
http://varusforschung.geschichte-multimedial.net/pages/militaria.html

Last year there had been other finds of lorica segmentata dated from historicans before BC.

So lorica has be in use ;)

Yes, I have seen that LARP link already and yes, lorica segmentata has been in use. But we only know that archeologists have found some fragments of this and actually that could also have been a part of officier's lorica. I think that we would have found much more fragments and probably some whole ones, if thousands of legionaries would have worn segmentata. Therefore I'm not that convinced. But anyway, I'm not that much into this subject, so it's only my humble opinion, it really doesn't have to mean anything and it's also not so much important for the purposes of my project.

I'll have to dig around, but sure.

However, they are Republican Romans, so they are not wearing the Weisenau type helmet you show in your photo, but the earlier Montefortino. The majority of the infantry have little armor, though the triarii do have chain mail.

You interested in any cavalry or skirmishers?

I probaly would be interested in some Montefortino ones, both variants, with chain mail and without as well. Also some skirmishers and cavalry would be great. How said, I need a mix of everything, to build adventuring parties, no use for identically looking regiments. Hope it's fine to you if I'm going to take picks of the bunch :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »
Okay, I have to go into my storage so I'll do so and perhaps later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll post a shot of the stuff I have.

Posting pics? Only if they are painted!  ;)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
thanks, Ray :)

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »

A wild part of country.  No personal hygiene, no usage of  hair care products. A dirty bunch of barbarians. No home, nothing sacred. Btw, they’re not from village, they’re just passing through. The big haary guy in the middle is the chieftain, I will call him Hazelius...

You are great Alex!!! Sadly we didn´t manage to raise the personal hygiene thing significantly until today  ;) I think Hazelius looks a bit like me, only the beard is longer. Ok and he has no glasses.
That project looks very promising, and as Tilman said we´ll use slightly modified T+T rules for the Troja - Game. May there be a chance for a T+T+T colaboration?

Cheers
Jan (a.k.a Hazelius)

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
Looking forward to this project Prof.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »
Great stuff! Roughly what I've been trying to do for years!

According to my notes mine were supposed to be Chauci, as I read a reference somewhere that they were possibly pirates. With that in mind it could become a germanic odyssee with the warband ending up in north-america against skraelings and north africa fighting ancient Berber tribes! and if not at least frisians or caninefatii or some other lowlander swamp dwelling survivalist tribe. :)

I got all carried away adding Copplestone barbarians and cavemen and even a dwarf, but also naked viking berserkers, werewolfs and what not.
And there they are, undercoated and gathering dust!  lol
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:12:00 PM by area23 »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline opa wuttke

• Bookworm
    • A fistful of heroes
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »
Great project ! A "must-follow"...
Germans vs Romans is a classic...not quite recently since mexiko ´70

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »
According to my notes mine were supposed to be Chauci, as I read a reference somewhere that they were possibly pirates. With that in mind it could become a germanic odyssee with the warband ending up in north-america against skraelings and north america fighting ancient Berber tribes! and if not at least frisians or caninefatii or some other lowlander swamp dwelling survivalist tribe. :)

I got all carried away adding Copplestone barbarians and cavemen and even a dwarf, but also naked viking berserkers, werewolfs and what not.
And there they are, undercoated and gathering dust!  lol

sound like a fun project, would like to see it going ;-)

Now back to my desk. The next gang, also Germans, this time Neckar Suebi. Looks like the Neckar Suebi have at least partly been the  ancestors of contemporary Schwaben from Baden-Württemberg. How said, just the corner of Germany where Prof is dwelling. Btw, Neckar is a river where Mr.Witchheimer Senior (Prof's father) is fishing.

for this gang I've chosen all the side hair knot models just to separate them from the top-hair-knot ones. These guys will be the villagers or better the defenders of the village. That leads me to think that I will need a couple of civilians for the village. I think I've got somewhere some of these crying Ancient German girls. Also some civilians from BTD. Well, not a huge bunch at all but we don't want to start another huge project that won't be finished because I put too much stuff to the pipeline.

The nacked guy is not a berserker or something like that, he just was caught while taking bath. How said, we Suebis aren't that dirty swines like other tribes.

and here some painting on one of the dirty Cherusci. Doesn't look dirty at all, I know. Sometimes it's a pity to make dirty fresh painted miniatures. Later perhaps. This shield design I've seen in the Osprey's Germanic Warrior 236-568 AD . Maybe it doent fits in the 7 AD, no idea, but it matches the colour of the trousers  :)

Today also told to Driscoles and it looks like we will be able to make a T&T game for that Ancient setting. Though I won't be making larger units. But individuals and small groups of warriors (2-3). We will see.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »
Fantastic Prof paint jobs AND a possible T&T supplement? I don't need a sheep liver to predict much greatness in this thread!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »
I'll get some figures with chain mail just like that guy from museum in Bonn:

Have you tried Gripping Beast? They seem to have a good selection:

http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=143