Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mit Den Panzern in Ost und West - A FOW WIP blog  (Read 1781 times)

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Mit Den Panzern in Ost und West - A FOW WIP blog
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:50:56 AM »
Last year for the Early War FOW tournament at Adepticon, I ran French Fusillier-Voltigeurs and happily won Best Painted Allied Army. This year I thought I'd join the dark side and run an Axis army. Since I love the Blitzkrieg book so much, I chose to assemble a Mittlere Panzerkompanie - Medium Panzer Company - based (rather loosely) on Guderian's 2.Panzerdivision. I keeping with the 2.PZ theme, I also decided to add some Mid-War elements for play using the Eastern Front book Mittlere lists.

To start out, I bought the massive and rare 8.8cm Flak18(Sfl), AKA the "BunkerFlak". This is an excellent model from Battlefront but there are a few problems that had to be fixed. First, the armored cab needed to be extended on the right-hand side of the fighting compartment and a flip-up weapon mount added.

I also got rid of the poorly cast rivets on the armored grill, added latches to the headlamp covers, added more struts to the rear ammo crate rack, as well as a license plate on the rear-left fender. I also correctly extended the Flak gun shield downwards with plasticard, and replaced the poorly cast shell hopper and recoil springs.

Below, are the Command PzIV D, as well as 2 PzIV Ds from the Mittlere Platoon, made by Zvezda. They are nice enough models, however they lacked some major details. Using plasticard, I had to add the driver's armored shutters, the gunner's armored visor, headlamps, the glacis plate tow-hooks; as well as replacing the hull machine-gun. To the Command PzIV, I added a whip antenna.

Ah, here's my favorite - this is a PzII by Zvezda, modified to the Ausf. B "Beobachtungsturm". This was, as far as I can tell, a very rare command PzII with an observation cupola mounted on top of the turret. I cut away the turret hatch and formed the cupola from plasticard, as well as adding armored vision slits to the cupola and over the driver's position and an antenna rack on the left fender. A whip antenna made from guitar wire completes the vehicle's hardware.

Last for today but not least is another Zvezda model; this one a wholesale conversion. I needed to make an Opel Radio Truck from the normal Blitz model. This required removing the flatbed and building the radio cabin out of plasticard. I cut several holes for windows, added the roof, and then attached all the little gribblies to the exterior. The radio mast is made from copper tubing and 20g copper wire. I also added a stowage rack over the cab and headlamp covers.

For more pics and info, see my blog below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2012/01/mit-den-panzern-in-ost-und-west-wip.html

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Mit Den Panzern in Ost und West - A FOW WIP blog
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »
Awesome conversions.
love the Radio truck.
 :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
Continuing on with my Mittlere Panzer Co. build, I have the final 2 tank platoons to show off. First is the Panzer III Platoon equipped with the Panzer III Ausf. G from PSC. I've already reviewed this kit and it was pretty nice, though fiddly. It really didn't require much embellishment except for some sandbag protection made from Green Stuff and some plasticard racks to hold the spare track sections to the hull.

Lastly, is an Assault Tank platoon made from the odd StuiG33b, basically this was a large 15cm SiG infantry support gun mounted on the Panzer III chassis and heavily armored. Even though they saw the majority of their action well to the south in Stalingrad, I couldn't resist these odd fusions of a Panzer tank and a StuG assault gun.

I received these models secondhand and they required about 5 days in Simple Green to remove 3 layers of paint and primer! After that, I had to make two commander's hatches from plasticard to replace missing metal hatches. I then added plasticard tubing for the hull MG, spare tracks and roadwheels from the PSC Panzer III sprues, a spare commander figure for the Command StuiG, some sandbags made out of Green Stuff, and finally whip antennas from guitar wire.

Well, my main company models are primed and ready for paint. All that's left is the 15mm AiM Stuka model for air support and the 2 Objectives....

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
These are only 15 mm vehicles?
 :o :o :o

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »
These are only 15 mm vehicles?
 :o :o :o

Yes, all 15mm.

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:14:10 AM »
It's buckle-down time for Adepticon here at the Empire. I was finally able to get in one full weekend day to get most everything basecoated with the airbrush, finish my General Guderian objective, and start work on my Armaments in Miniature Stuka air support option. I don't care what anyone tells you - finding time to paint while watching an infant is HARD.

All the based minis get a drybrush of dirt and mud. My "Husslin' Heinz" objective is in the foreground center - this is General Guderian in his command Sd.Kfz 251. The "G" emblem on the trucks' fenders were applied to all vehicles and tanks in Panzergruppe Guderian.

Most of the vehicles and tanks received a solid coat of Panzer Grey with a little Regal Blue added for shading. Most of the tanks have the two-tone camo scheme prevalent in pre-1940 Panzer Divisions - 75% Panzer Grey, 25% soft-edged Dark Brown. The StuiG MW camo scheme of a base of Panzer Grey with bands of soft-edged Tan did not turn out, mostly because my compressor is too powerful to provide pressure under 20psi - necessary for convincing soft-edged banded camo at 15mm. Oh well...

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:01:57 AM »
Well, I've not had much energy to do much lately, as I'm just getting over a nasty case of strep. However, I was able to finish the majority of painting and decaling for my Mittlere Panzer Co. At this point, the only thing left is weathering.....so close! More pics at my blog:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2012/04/mit-den-panzern-in-ost-und-west-wip-4.html