Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:12:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689657
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Original Darkest Africa rules & articles on WI website  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Original Darkest Africa rules & articles on WI website
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 01:55:59 PM »
Sorry to drag this up but I just discovered that I do own the ox-mounted rebel askari. :D It was in with my "Azande of the Congo Basin" collection. I bought that ages ago "to put up" because I had the money at the time, and didn't want to regret not buying them if they ever went out of production later (good policy as it turns out). Never really did more than a cursory check of the contents at the time.

"Bonus pack with our compliments" it says. That was in addition to the "Sultan Zemio and bodyguard" which was the standard bonus pack for buying the Azande collection. But they also threw in a Scrooge and some sort of bald-headed dwarf with an axe. FOUR bonus packs with one collection! Foundry must really like me! Only natural I suppose, they have enough of my damn money.

Still don't have the cove with the brolly and helmet, though.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN YOU PLYNKES!!!!!!! Another figure I don't have and you just had to rub it in. 

Of course I am just kidding.  I have always wanted those and the Sultan Zemio pack.  Alas I was to young at the time. 

So with all these treasures at your disposal, and the mention of several projects when are we going to see new pictures from Plynkes?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
Sorry to drag this up but I just discovered that I do own the ox-mounted rebel askari.

Don't you just hate it when that happens  lol
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Fanis

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »
Basterward Plynkes!!!  ;D :D Teasing us with this! Not fair, not fair at all this is!!

Mind you I do have the brolly/helmet fig courtesy of a star of a mate in the UK. So  ;D ;D ;D ;D Mr. Plynkes! lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 02:48:28 PM »
 lol

Very nice job you've done with him too.

I don't know quite when I'll be posting anything, airbornegrove26. I'm only really painting at weekends at the minute, and then not always, so progress is a bit slow. But I reckon I'll get my camera out once I have enough stuff done to make it worth posting.

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »
Sounds good Plynkes, no rush of course. =)

Fanis, Stanley making me oh so jealous. =)  Love the paintjob Fanis, you should definitely post some more pics of your work.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:42:45 PM by airbornegrove26 »

Offline Fanis

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 08:18:15 PM »
Cheers for the kind comments lads.  :)

airborne;
Darkest Africa is my main period and has been for a couple of years now so I have plenty to post; it's just that I am already posting updates of my stuff on the WD3 forum (I have been with that pervy lot since the original WD over 7-8 years ago) and I am embarassed to post my stuff in other forums as well as I am worried/concerned that it may come across as vying for praise/attention from every corner. Does that make any sense at all?  o_o :)

Still LAF is one of my favorite places to visit on account of all the brilliant discussions about Darkest Africa (that rat Plynkes  ;D ;) is one of the most knowledgeable blokes re DA and always kind enough to help/advise - plus there are many other folk with lovely collections/game reports etc.) so I guess I can stop being such a tightarse and post some overall pics of my stuff so far as opposed to week by week updates. Thank you again for the encouragement.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. Several LAFers post their stuff both here and on (for example) the Steve Dean forum. If you're giving us eye-candy, we aren't going to complain.

But if it really bothers you, then just post some links right here to your WD3 threads.  :)

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 11:49:37 PM »
Agreed.  Eye candy is eye candy.  I figured we were all adults anyway and didn't need praise for our posts.  I certainly don't take that into consideration.  I do it because it's fun and keeps me working on projects.  If someone should take inspiration from one of my posts, then all the better.  So I second Plynkes and crave Darkest Africa pics or links to said pics!!!!

Offline Captain Goode

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »
Round here you could add some herds of long horned cattle and goats - boath of white with speckling to the spinal ridges of thecattle in dark browns and placks,  also the grain store would be a narrow version of the hose but on rocks - in 1:1 about 4 foot in daimeter at the base and about 6 foot at the top. The tub of the store would be about 4 to 8 feet tall depending on the wealth of the family.  You could also use a few shelters and drying frames - usually buils of branches one to each corner, with joiners around all 4 side at the top. Smaller branches are laid across this to form rafters on which the produce is dried.  And of course the villagers rest in the shade of it.

Depends on where you are settin your village too - Cameroon and Congo - then you might want to think about more rain forst type vegetation - so add about 2 layers of tree height to what you have.  If you are staying in the same part of Africa - but in the Savannah then lots of scrub, acacia tree types, and occasional outcroppings of rocks.

The river side is too free of plants.  You can spot a small west and central african river from miles off because it is thick with palmates and plantains along the route, only where the cattle spend lots of time grazing do you have the more East african open ford look.  Clothes will be washed on the rocks and the kids will be in the water much of the day.  If the bank is not clear it means there is a high seasonal flood with the rains, or the water is very fast flowing.

I have a favorite bush bar where we go to watch the sun come down, sat with our feet dangling over a lowish cliff and watching the cattle being driven to water, and the evening mist coming out of the trees.
Great place for beer.
Graham
Abuja, Nigeria