Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange compatibility question - Pig Iron Heads and Empress bodies?  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
Anyone tried this? I want to make some near future guys with a slightly different vibe. Just wondering how the sizes compare?

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
Re: Strange compatibility question - Pig Iron Heads and Empress bodies?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »
I think most people would fine the Pig Iron heads much too big for Empress bodies. Empress miniatures are on the smaller side of 28mm, quite slight. Pig Iron are bigger and bulkier.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
I had a feeling that would be the case. Shame!

Offline Frontal Assault 15mm

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
I think most people would fine the Pig Iron heads much too big for Empress bodies. Empress miniatures are on the smaller side of 28mm, quite slight. Pig Iron are bigger and bulkier.

Just compared some of my Pig Iron feral heads to an Empress light machine gunner and that don't look too big in comparison.  The main problem here though would be getting them to fit given the difficulties in converting metal.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:57:28 PM »
Head swaps  (actually, any conversion) isn't that difficult provided you have the tools. For head swaps you really need:

A saw (jewelers or fine razor saw),
Files for smoothing, and
A pin vice.

Optional tools to make it easier:
A dentist's pick (for making the pilot hole for the Drill)
Strong wire cutters with a flat point (I use my Xuron Track cutter for this, since it has a flat edge to get non-beveled cuts on one side)

The you need the right supplies, in this case either brass rod or a batch of paper clips for the pins. I prefer the paper clips.

Start by using the saw to remove the original figure's head as clean as possible. Keep a small ziploc bag or other container nearby to save the bits. Use the file to smooth the neck join on the body. At this point, I would use my dental pick to place the pilot hole because the pin vice alone without a pilot hole slips from center. Not fun. Use the pin vice and drill the pinning hole into the neck. Since I use paper clips, I unfold one bend of it and superglue it into the hole and let it set. I usually don't cut this just yet.

Now get the new head off of the sprue. The wire cutters are best for this. My Xuron tool is absolutely the best for this procedure, but Xurons are expensive. File the surface smooth. Now drill the hole for the pin.

Trim the pin back, but leave a little excess. Test fit the head. If the pin is too long, trim it back a little and test fit again. Repeat this as necessary. When you have a solid, well fitting connection, find the position you like the best and glue it into place. The head position can really change the attitude of the figure, so experiment a little. When you find the position you want, take the head off and apply glue to the pin and push the head back into place.

Done!
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
I have used Pig Iron heads on Grymn (Hasslefree's space Dwarfs) and they look fine:

I am not sure of Empress miniatures size but they CAN'T be smaller than Grymn :)

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
Good point Inso, I completely forgot I'd seen your conversions!

Guess I'll just have to get some of both and give it a go!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »
I would, if I was you :) . What heads are you going for because the system trooper helmets are a little larger than some.

As for head swapping, it all depends on whether you need the heads you are removing. If you don't, side cutters will make short work of them and the bumps under the helmets too... so then it is just a case of a quick file, drill and pin with minimal filling.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
I am not sure of Empress miniatures size but they CAN'T be smaller than Grymn :)

Yes, but Grymn are supposed to look like dwarfs.

Even so, it's worth trying.  Experimenting with head swaps is fun, and even failures teach you something and usually leave some parts for the bits box.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
The Kolony helmets are your best bet re: sizing. Heavy troopers are good too but might be a little too modern for you, depneds on your disired 'look'. As has been said, system trooper helmets are a little bigger to suit full suited troopers so may be too big.

Either way go and order from Si/Lise, you won't be disappointed.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 05:06:10 PM »
I was going to use some of the older sets (thinking mainly of the full face visor ones) - Will post results here, good or bad!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
I was going to use some of the older sets (thinking mainly of the full face visor ones) - Will post results here, good or bad!

Well this is how they look on Copplestone's future wars and EM-4's troopers so you should be ok: