Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690653
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aventine Miniatures  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Aventine Miniatures
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »
Feel free to move this, but I thought I'd share my experience with Aventine Miniatures in a folder where they'd likely want the most presence.

At the start of December I ordered a Republican Roman Command pack as a sampler to see what the figures were like. I got them and was very pleased, they look amazing and the castings are clean. Recently I got them to the clean up table and noticed one had a misscast offhand. I e-mailed Aventine asking if it was too late to send this figure back, and Keith responded within half an hour apologising and saying there was no need to send anything back, reassured me that this never usually happens, and that my replacement would be shipped the next day.

So far, so brilliant customer service. In my original e-mail I had complimented the new Early Imperial Romans, and today not only did I receive TWO Republican Commanders (the replacement and another similarly posed one that I didn't have (Keith wasn't sure which one I meant so kindly sent both!), but I also got three Early Imperial Roman figures as free samples!

Considering I e-mailed Keith at about 11:30pm on Thursday night, this is excellent customer service. I have to say that the figures are the best I've seen for this period as well. Hopefully this experience of mine will convince anyone on the fence to give Aventine a go. :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Aventine Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
Sounds really good, neder dealt with Aventine but sooner or later will have to get some of their great figures. Their stuff is so lovely.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Good to hear, as I am planning on getting some of their figures for my Runequest project.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 02:00:54 PM »
Thank you for bringing this company to my attention. Lovely minis.

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
Thats very good service typical of Aventine. Anything I have ever ordered is usualy in my hand either the next day or the day after. Super fast and Keith keeps you informed of shipping process al the way.

On top of that the figures are truly exquisite so if your into Roman figures you wont be sorry if you buy Aventine.

Hope you enjoy painting them and post them on here for us to see Gibby.

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
Thats very good service, typical of Aventine. Anything I have ever ordered is usualy in my hand either the next day or the day after. Super fast and Keith keeps you informed of shipping process al the way.

On top of that the figures are truly exquisite so if your into Roman figures you wont be sorry if you buy Aventine.

Hope you enjoy painting them and post them on here for us to see Gibby.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »
I'll try my best. I just ordered the start of my army for a Punic War project so we'll see how I get on. Principes incoming!

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
Yep, Keith knows how to treat his customers. I ordered twice and recieved my minis within a few days. Two thumps up!

Offline VonMoltke

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
Indeed Aventines service is outstanding.
Working together with Adam (the sculptor) for the early imperial roman project.
We have very good discussions about every piece of the uniforms/ equipment, and historically accurate details.
I enjoy it very much, to talk to someone, which has so immense knowledge about the roman history.

The customer service from both is fantastic.
Keith is very fast in every aspect, communication, as well as delivery.

Regards
Von Moltke

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
Also had some fantastic service from Aventine.   Order a couple of African elephants and a rather odd mix of crew and Keith guessed that i was  thrying to field the elephants in a Carthaginian force and sent me an extra 8 crewmen (for free) so that I could mix and match them to fit in better.

Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 10:42:45 PM »
Everyone speaks very highly of this company, and the figures seem popular. I wish them every success, and it's great to hear such good testamonials of excellent customer service.

I'm going to be a bit of a party pooper though, and tell the truth which is that i don't actually like the look of these figures. I find them very staid looking and 'blocky'. And with not much variation or choice when it comes to rank and file figures. Very 'old school'. I admit a lot of the detail is very nice, but the poses and anatomy i find wholly uninspiring.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder when it comes to wargames figures.
I hear a lot of people raving about these particular figures at the moment, and i must admit, i just don't see it.
Just a matter of taste i guess  ::)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 01:23:50 AM »
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder when it comes to wargames figures.

That's so true. You see, I like these Aventine figures for the really same reasons you don’t. I still have to paint them but I think they will look good with my style of painting which is basically just blocking the colors and very little in the way of highlight or shades.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:15:20 AM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 02:10:20 AM »
<snip> I find them very staid looking and 'blocky'. And with not much variation or choice when it comes to rank and file figures. <snip>

That's the Romans, boring as can be, dull but deadly.   ;)

lol

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline VonMoltke

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 08:03:25 AM »
Indeed, it would be in the eyes of the beholder.

For me the old style is the best tabletop miniatures style.
The popular front rank figures, the calpe miniatures prussians, are in my opinion, in the same style.
Look great on the tabletop, better to paint and so one.

The anatomy more correct style, like the perry miniatures, what should I say?
Its not my cup of tee.

But as we talk about imperial romans, please tell me, which roman legionaries figures are in your opinion much better, than the aventine ones?
The only ones I know are the andrea models 30 mm figures, which are really slim and from the anatomy more correct.
But may be you know others?

To the theme poses.
The subject is roman legionaries.
The romans which are shown in formation could not all have different action poses.
Roman legionaries, for example, in the very agile "infinity miniatures" poses, would look something special  ;)

Wargames foundry old perry EIR (more poses but every pose without headvariants), foundry IR (only one pose per troop type, no headvariant), Gripping beast EIR (very static and few poses), Newline design EIR (also static poses and ne head variant), Crusader miniatures EIR and MIR (only one pose, no head variant), old glory miniatures EIR and MIR (bad sculpting, few pose variants), warlords plastic romans could not be compared with aventine, because multipose plastic figures have more choice to arrange in different ways.

Avantines EIR have in your eyes static poses, which are the poses, that tabletop players like for roman legionaries.
As I say it before, they are very detailed sculptings, have many armour variants.
Manica, helmet variants and in the near future mail and scale legionaries in different poses.
Only the foundry miniatures perry EIR (25 mm figures with also wrong anatomy) have more variants, but the aventine range  is at the beginning.
Many more to follow.

But again, ;)

Best regards
Von Moltke