Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:01:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Raid at Ovila, Spain 1811  (Read 3275 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
Raid at Ovila, Spain 1811
« on: January 28, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »

"The Abbey at Ovila has been in situ since the 13th Century. Monks have worshipped here and traded with the nearby villagers. An orange grove to the north of the village provides the most delectable fruit. During my visit, I couldnt help but think what an imposing sight the Abbey would give passing travellers on the road to Barcelona" - Lord Byram Fartsworthy, Travels in Catalunya 1779.

The idllyic setting witnessed by Lord Byram had passed by the time of the wars with Napoleon. Ovila Abbey became the headquarters of the infamous Father Carlos Mozo, known as 'The Black Monk of Barcelona'. He and his followers (comprising of monks, local villagers, bandits and deserters) used the Abbey as a base of operations from which to raid and terrorise the surrounding area. In the Autumn of 1811, Father Mozo conducted two highly successful raids. One snatched the paychest destined for the French garrison at Punto der Fuentes, while the second raid hijacked a coach carrying the wife and two daughters of General Sir Francis Garnett, who only just managed to escape with their virtues intact thanks to the timely intervention of Captain Jack Cutter of the 95th Rifles. They did however lose the family jewels...

Due to this General Garnett despatched Captain Jack Cutter with a small force to recaptured his family jewels and return them to their rightful owner. At the sametime a force sallied force from Punto der Fuentes, led by the rather weedy but tenacious Colonel Rene Le Choux. By chance the two forces would arrive at Ovila at the sametime... Father Mozo, having been prewarned of the approaching enemy forces buried his family jewels in the abbey grounds and hid the pay chest under the chapel altar. He then sent his motley collection of Monks, Bandits and Deserters to their posts to resist all-comers.

The resultant skirmish was rather unpleasent for both the bandits and the British. While the French advance in clean supporting lines, a piecemeal British attack from the opposite flank supported by the worst rifle fire ever seen led to heavy casualties among the British and the defenders. The French meanwhile slowly advanced and with units supporting each other methodically swept away those in ffront of them. But the poorly coordinate dBritish attack was faster. British troops and their Spanish Dragoons fought their way into the Abbey courtyard, with Captain Jack Cutter bursting into the Chapel, but only after he had been saved from death at the hands of a bandit weilding what looked like a sack of rocks by the elderly but violent Major Cranston Hickbetter-Fannycraddock who shot the bandit dead. Captain Cutter kicked in the door of the Chapel to be greeted by Brother Bulke and his Blunderbuss. When the smoke cleared, Captain Cutter stood in the doorway, not a mark on him except for a singed moustache. He cut Brother Bulke down and faced his arch enemy, Sargeant Jerimiah Snorksbill, a deserter from the 3rd Foot & Mouth. But times was not on Captain Cutters side.

As he and Snorksbill fought in the Chapel, the French finally arrived and large numbers surged in. Unable to resist their superior numbers, Major Hickbetter-Fannycraddock called the retreat, and the British withdrew, Captain Cutter parting company, as he dived out the Chapel door, Snorksbill's voiced echoed out 'I'll get you Cutter' he cried. Captain Cutter then danced across the Abbey grounds as French musket balls bounced around him and vaulted over the wall and away. In the village the British survivors made their escape. The French despatched the remaining defenders and surrounded the Chapel. In a high pitched squeal Colonel le Choux called on The Black Monk to surrender. There was no answer. His men then poured shot after shot into the Chapel. When they finally entered they found it empty... The altar pushed away to reveal a tunnel leading to safety.

The Black Monk had eluded both Cutter and Le Choux once again... and this time with a full pay chest. As Le Chouc angrily ordered his men to burn the Abbey, Captain Cutter and his men spent the night dressing wounds by a small stream wondering how General Garnett would feel that his family jewels were still missing. As Colonel Le Choux, proclaiming himself the great victor, led his men back to their garrison he was watched from the mountains... The Black Monk would have his revenge on that petulant Frenchman, and maybe this time he may get Cutter to help him. After all... Only he knew the location of the Generals family jewels...

The abbey defenders, a collection of bandits and deserters, man the walls;

The French arrive;

Snorksbill sneers at the advancing French;

Riflemen and infantry in the orange grove;

British troops fire up at the abbey defenders;

French and Deserters exchange fire;

The French come on in the same old style;

Riflemen try to outflank the abbey;

But get an unpleasent surprise;

The British fight their way up the rocky cliffs, while the French pur in the fire;

A swirling melee rages around the abbey as the French arrive;

Chosen Men O'Reilly and Cannon cover the British retreat;

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Raid at Ovila, Spain 1811
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:26:14 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Some fantastic eye candy!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 01:45:46 PM »
Some amazing shots, diorama quality. Great narrative. Just sort of a game I would like to play.

Your ability to generate loads of pretty much interesting projects in this high quality is stunning, V.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
Brilliant! The only way to do Naps and stay sane  8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
Absolutely brilliant, thats my kind of game, a great story, terrific terrain and a wonderful collection of figures. ;D

I think I recognise some of the dismounted dragoons too ;) :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnantīs Diary
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
I thank you very much for this great Gamereport. Itīs just amazing. Are the buildings scratchbuild? If not: where did you buy them?
Cheers
Jan

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 07:34:50 PM »
Great stuff, Piers. Just like a Saturday night at the movies.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »
I think I recognise some of the dismounted dragoons too ;) :D

From where, pray tell?

--------------------------------------------------

Update: After some TMP fu, perhaps converted Front Rank AWI dismounted 17th Dragoons?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:29:02 PM by Schogun »

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 08:31:49 PM »
The Dragoons (and Im guessing you mean the Spanish ones not the Perry French ones) are from Boot Hill Miniatures. They are Mexican cavalry that for a anti-anal like me work just fine for the later looking Dragoons... I did them in a couple of hours using the dip to get them ready for the game;

They also do some lovely Mexican Cazadores that I will be getting too.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
Really love that,

brilliant shots and some lovely figures.

you are relentless in your diversity of projects

dodge

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
Malamute's dragoons look really fine!

A couple hours, you say....  o_o

Offline Predator

• Schoolboy
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 10:44:25 PM »
Cracking read and fantastic table as always...

Which rules did you use for these? Sharpe Practice, other commercial set or home grown?

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 02:01:23 AM »
Very nice batrep.

Thanks for posting.

Nice miniature, nice paint jobs and nice terrain.  :-*

I don't really know all of the historical significance of the different types of troops you have in there,
but I really enjoy how they all seem very different and seem to have a specific function on the battlefield.

It looks like you had a really good time!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 02:23:57 AM »
Great story.
Greater photos and lots of them.
Love it all. :-*
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »
Great collection of figures and scenery and an excellent back story/AAR.