Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IMPETVS Fantasy rules....anyone?  (Read 3679 times)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Re: IMPETVS Fantasy rules....anyone?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »
Agree with Zed. I played some basic Impetus and really felt the need to upgrade to the full version. The fantasy stuff should be tuned on that set.
Otherwise I don't think Impetus Fantasy should be more detailed than Vanilla Impetus; just to mention a parallel, SoB is fine to me: stramlined stats with some Perc to give a flavour. I mean: I don't really want rules to create a "realistic" dwarf army (ha ha ha), but to play an army reasonably dwarfy with dwarf miniatures. I know this post may sound complicated, but it's just badly worded...  :(
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 11:39:47 PM »
Yes, I have plenty of Fantasy skirmish  :-*  and small battle  8) rules to choose from.  Large battles, not so much.   :'(

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:32 PM »
Agree with Zed. I played some basic Impetus and really felt the need to upgrade to the full version. The fantasy stuff should be tuned on that set.

But there are a lot more "Basic" Impetus players than full Impetus players, a lot of people do not make the jump or cherrypick a couple of rules from the full version to add to BI. Maybe the ideal for Impetus Fantasy is somewhere between the 2?

Quote from: midismirnoff
Otherwise I don't think Impetus Fantasy should be more detailed than Vanilla Impetus; just to mention a parallel, SoB is fine to me: stramlined stats with some Perc to give a flavour. I mean: I don't really want rules to create a "realistic" dwarf army (ha ha ha), but to play an army reasonably dwarfy with dwarf miniatures. I know this post may sound complicated, but it's just badly worded...  :(

No it is fine. :)
The key to understanding the approach taken to the Impetus Fantasy Army builder is that your idea of what is "dwarfy" is probably totally different to mine. Therefore if we had just built a sample dwarf army and left it at that one of us would be disappointed with the result and maybe not bother to try the rules at all. Same applies to Savage or Effeminate Elves, Brave or Cowardly Goblins, Wet or Dry undead. The complexity of having free choice on how you build an army is a necessary part of increasing the games appeal.

My 'Wood Elf' army has a few staples: Bowmen, TreeMen/Dryads and some light cavalry (would be centaurs if I could find decent figures cheaply enough), but is mainly Beastmen, Barbarian savages, Shapeshifters/Were Creatures. No rules writer is going to use that as the "standard" wood elf army.

Also, you cannot do justice to 'Heroic Fantasy' as a genre without including viable heroes, wizards and above all monsters. They are as important to the game as the fighting troops. Difficulty is in balancing them as useful but not overpowering. Impetus (or Basic Impetus) already provides everything necessary for the army side of the game. It is proving more difficult to add in Characters without a disproportionate increase in the complexity.
I would love to hear any ideas.........

Rob

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
You're right. In order to satisfy the WHFB kind of army you just have to go like this. So, in this respect, I understand. But the choice of Basic Impetus as core rules seems to be holding the whole project one step away from success. You aren't going to have much more than occasional gamers if you stick to the Basic, I think. I mean: a guy who invests time and passion on basing his fantasy army on you 12cm frontage bases isn't going to be satisfied with the BI rules. I myself managed to play a couple of BI games with WHFB addicted but the very simple rules kind of made them think WH was better. I'd say it would't have happened with Impetus. But that's just my experience. Anyhow, keep up the good work.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »
I'd agree create a Basic Impetus Fantasy later as an intro, but I think the average fantasy player generally prefer more detail on their units and special rules to distinguish them than when they play more historical games where the differences aren't generally so huge.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 04:32:18 PM »
It is proving more difficult to add in Characters without a disproportionate increase in the complexity.
I would love to hear any ideas.........

treat them as a unit in their own right, minimum 60cm square base, Hero with retinue, let them attach to certain units (which will gain benefits etc). Obviously some Heroes will never join a unit, but that's the joy of characters. some a re great and some are gits.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »

The key to understanding the approach taken to the Impetus Fantasy Army builder is that your idea of what is "dwarfy" is probably totally different to mine.
I did see in the forums that someone had started to convert the WHFB armybook lists to Impetus Fantasy, a rather good idea as an intro I thought.

t I think the average fantasy player generally prefer more detail on their units and special rules to distinguish them
yep :)
Warhammer is 28 pages of rules than 10 whole armyboooks of exceptions to those rules lol