Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Combined Atlanean Rifle Brigade  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Combined Atlanean Rifle Brigade
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
At least, the Dwarf contingent therefof (yes, these are the 'Low CARBs').

Casting his eye across proceedings from the top of Table Mountain (at a little-known point called Manilla Envelope Bluff) is Frigbard Jaegling, surrounded by officers and troops of Her Imperial Majesty's most loyal Morlock regiment.

OK so they're not quite finished but they're not going to change all that much - hopefully, just get a little tidier (I can see mistakes in the photos that are tiny in real life, at least to these tired old eyes).

Dwarf Adventurer on slotta-base is from GW, the others are from Old Glory's 'Dwarf Britannia' range.

More pics on my blog.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:25:53 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: Combined Atlanean Rifle Brigade
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »
(yes, these are the 'Low CARBs').
May you be forgiven.

Heh.  Nicely done.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »
Lovely  :)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »
You saw how I was pilloried for 'fantasy' when I suggested similar lads!  lol

My red coats never got their steam leviathan, but yours are made of steely stuff, and may not need any.

Well done, indeed!

Doug

Oh, low CARBs... Now I get it...  :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
I think 'VSF' can cope with some fantastical things; I'm very Steampunk myself, it needs airships and dinosaurs and mad inventors and Ruritania and Atlantis and Martians and aetheric weapons and preferably Time Travellers in Blue Boxes and Sherlock Holmes and sometimes Blasphemous Cyclopean and Eldritch Beings of No Human Aspect, if I can get away with it. Atlantean Morlocks (with beards) in the British Army? Yeah, why not?

But my rule is to try to make the 'crazy' things seem normal, so you can be a bit weirder with the 'normal' things.

Someone once gave me a tip about modelling alien plants - it was that you can have a plant that's a 'normal' shape but weird colours and it looks alien (like an orange-coloured twig for a martian tree, say); or you can have a plant that's a weird shape but normal colours and it looks alien (like brownish-grey dodecahedrons with little green bits); but if you have a plant that weird colours and a weird shape no-one will know what it is. Hmmm, some orange dodecahedrons... are they some kind of rock?

I try to stick to a similar principle with stuff like this. Dwarves in Pith helmets? Paint them as proper British Redcoats; everyone can see what they are.

Normal British Zulu Wars minis? Paint them green (maybe they're a Rifle Regiment?) and give their sergeant a Galvanic Projector - then they can be UNIT: 1891.

Every bit of weirdness I think should be balanced by enough bits of reality that you're not just totally making it up - otherwise, you might as well put bits of cotton wool down and say 'Professor McMad has invented an organised gas weapon... here are my troops, those large ones at the back are Gaseous Cavalry. And the things that look like upturned yoghurt pots are hovering cloud factories... no I don't know how they work'.

Obviously, one could do that, but how could anyone tell it was Victorian? That's where the red coats and Glengarries and Pickelhaube and whatnot come in. A few visual signals to tie it down. That's why if I ever get round to using my GW tanks and walkers in a game, I'm going to make damned sure they're all flying big British ensigns. Just so people know.

Offline Powered Armored Stooge

• Librarian
  • Delightfully Mad
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
They look quite spiffy!

Cant wait to see their xenos foes!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
Their first foes might well be some pesky lizard-beings... who may in fact be Deep Ones, or maybe Venusian Parrotmen:

The lizard is from a game called 'Impact' I think, that I picked up from a charity shop. It had a bunch of plastic alien lizard warriors in it anyway. Thought they might make fun opponents.

Pictured with an Ironclad Brit painted by Majorsmith... who's a much better painter than I am!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:27:14 PM by Red Orc »