Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:35:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons as XCOM?  (Read 6623 times)

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
Strange Aeons as XCOM?
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »
Hey all,

I really like strange aeons, especially how flexible it is.  I was thinking about putting together a mod for strange aeons as XCOM. 

Any idea? Am I crazy?   ;)
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Re: Strange Aeons as XCOM?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »
Crazy?  Try GENIUS!!  X-COM remains one of my favourite video games of all time, and I for one will happily endorse an application of Strange Aeons to it!

Sign me up for an autocannon with AP rounds, and some grenades to toss in through the UFO roof  ;D

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »
Haha...   It did seem kinda genius when I thought it up, kinda like an eureka moment.

I'll have to put some mods together, something with armor, and maybe a couple more weapons.  But my plan is to leave most things the same.  Monsters become aliens easy enough...

Offline Krysset80

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »
Loved xcom and ufo.. wonder if I still got them somewere.. had hours of fun with the guided missles. Also was great that you had to figure out wepons and tech before you could use it. :)

To bad that the many followups wassent so good.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »
I guess the SA framwork would acknowledge the X-Com fluff as it was written originally, with (supposedly undercover) Agents investigating Alien infiltration. So yeah, it would work with the right kind of scenario. Of course, there has to be an urban terror attack and a base defence/assault too ;)

I also want to know why the heck no sculptor has yet brought out some miniatures for the enemies in the first game, I wanna see some sectoids with huge friggin' guns and mutons that level whole city blocks with the blaster launchers! Seriously, those would sell like hotcakes. So if you, dear Reader, are a freelance sculptor and need ideas, just play the damn game and bring it to the table! :D

We even have miniatures for the Tremors worms, so why no X-Com aliens  :'(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:01:27 PM by Cherno »

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
I think SA takes modern day/sci-fi stuff pretty readily, since the weapons are pretty 'generic' .  A tommy gun simply becomes a laser rifle, etc.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
Great idea! I also loved X-com as a youngster. I will help in any way possible with this! Wonder what the X-com license is worth...

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »
Hey all!

Glad to see everyone seems as interested in this as I am :)

I guess the first thing to do is start make lists of things...

Things in the game: (from UFOpedia)

Weapons:

Pistol
Rifle
Heavy Cannon
Auto-Cannon
Rocket Launcher
Stun Rod
Grenade
Proximity Grenade
High Explosive
Smoke Grenade

Laser Pistol
Laser Rifle
Heavy Laser

Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle
Heavy Plasma
Alien Grenade
Small Launcher (launcher for Stun Bombs)
Blaster Launcher

Armor:

Coveralls - Light Kevlar protection that your agents will always have at minimum on the battlefield, although its not likely to help them much against anything other than friendly fire from the rifle or pistol.

Personal Armour - Incorporating Alien Alloy plates to make for a moderate level of protection. This is the Armor used during the Intro Movie.

Power Suit - Heavy plates with Elerium-powered muscle assist and air-filtering system, this will make your soldiers into veritable walking tanks, although still not invulnerable.

Flying Suit - Power Suit with Anti-grav harness allowing your soldiers to move more rapidly about the battlefield and negating the danger of some threats.

Misc Items:

Smoke Grenade: Provides a smoke screen to conceal your movements.
Motion Scanner: Scans a part of the battlescape to show the whereabouts of any units which have moved in the previous (and current) round.
Medi-Kit: Heals, revives or restores lost morale to your battle weary troops.
Electro-flare: Lights up dark areas of the map allowing you to see further.
Psi-Amp: A hybrid human/alien item which allows soldiers to wage psionic attacks just like the aliens.
Mind Probe: This silver globe gives soldiers the ability to see the stats of an alien in combat.
Elerium-115: An object that serves no purpose to soldiers on a mission but can be recovered.  *used for research

Aliens:

Sectoid

An alien considered the weakest of them all. Sectoids look like the stereotypical alien abductor - skinny, grey and with big black eyes.

Sectoids are usually the first alien species a Commander will come across. They are lightly armoured and are slow moving in comparison to other alien species. They will usually go down after taking one or two direct hits with standard Earth pistols and rifles.

Floater

Floaters are weak creatures that- as their name suggests- are capable of flight.

Unlike Sectoids, who can be very dangerous when accompanied by Cyberdiscs and/or a Sectoid Leader, Floaters are not particularly dangerous. Their main tactical advantage is their ability to fly - this can often make them more difficult to spot and also allows them to take up sniping positions on roofs and other high areas, although this is rarely done.

Floaters are usually to be found performing scouting or Terror Missions, and are accompanied on the latter by Reapers.

Snakeman

Snakemen were quite a common sight on Earth after a few months of fighting during the First Alien War. After the repeated terror attacks by Sectoids and Floaters, the Snakemen came out of nowhere and surprised us all.

Fortunately, by the time they arrived we had acquired far superior weaponry (in the form of Heavy Plasma rifles) and the threat posed by this race was reduced dramatically. However Snakemen are also frequent terror agents, and are accompanied at terror sites by the fearsome Chryssalid. This association means that X-COM squads attending Snakemen terror sites should be well prepared.

Muton

Mutons are the most physically-powerful sentient race in X-COM. They may be accompanied by Silacoid and Celatid terror units.

Mutons have high stats and armor and are resistant to AP ammunition, making them quite hard to defeat with an inexperienced force. Fortunately they have a relatively low Intelligence score, and will "forget" the whereabouts of your soldiers after only 4 turns. They are also highly susceptible to psionic attacks.

Ethereal

The Ethereal race is arguably the most dangerous species that X-COM forces faced during the First Alien War.

Ethereals are rarely seen on Earth as they prefer to send other races (especially Mutons) to carry out missions on their behalf.
Every member of the Ethereal race possesses very powerful psionic abilities that can be used to make X-COM forces panic. It is even possible for Ethereals to take control of X-COM units and use them against us.

Cyberdisc

Cyberdiscs are an alien terror unit accompanying Sectoids. As with all terror units, they can be encountered on Terror Missions, Base Defense, with a Terror Ship or Battleship, Alien Base Assaults and finally in Cydonia.

The Cyberdisc's only means of attack is its plasma beam doing an impressive 130HP damage. The Cyberdisc has another characteristic which makes it rather deadly, and that is, it can explode upon death with an average GZ strength of 120 and damage radius of 7 (diameter 15). Upon targeting a Cyberdisc, be wary of this blast radius as your soldiers, or perhaps a wandering Civilian, could find themselves in a world of hurts.

Reaper

Reapers are an alien terror unit accompanying Floaters. As with all terror units, they can be encountered in Terror Mission, Base Defense, Alien Base Assault, with a Terror Ship or Battleship, and finally Cydonia.

The Reaper's only means of attack is its bite. This means that it can't attack unless it's standing right next to its target, so as long as you're more than 12 squares away, it can't hurt you. The Reaper's main defense is that it has the highest health (148HP) of any unit in the game.

Chryssalid

Chryssalids are an alien Terror Unit accompanying Snakemen.

Nasty. Toothy. Very very fast. Able to implant an egg (that turns you into a Zombie) with little regard for body armor. The ability of single Chryssalids to multiply and wipe out entire squads makes them more feared than even the tougher Ethereals.

Celatid

Celatids are an alien Terror Unit accompanying Mutons along with Silacoids. As with all terror units, they can be encountered on Terror Missions, Base Defense, with a Terror Ship or Battleship, Alien Base Assaults, and finally on Cydonia.

The Celatid's only means of attack is its acid spit. This does an exceptional 140HP damage, making it the most powerful non-HE weapon in the game(!), increased by 60% on unarmoured soldiers and civilians (and even 10% on Personal Armoured soldiers). Now combine this with a firing accuracy that can reach 124% (on Superhuman difficulty) and the Celatid makes for a rather deadly foe.

Sectopod

The Sectopod "Walker" is one of the most dangerous terror units X-COM has come up against. Their armour is nearly impervious to all weapons fire, but they appear to be vulnerable to lasers.

Sectopods are seen in the company of Ethereals in base defenses and terror missions. Beware, their weapon is a powerful laser with autofire capability, which can make short work of any enemy of the Sectopod in seconds.

-------

Alright, so, there's the start of the To-Do list ;)

Offline Krysset80

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 05:54:20 PM »
Great idea! I also loved X-com as a youngster. I will help in any way possible with this! Wonder what the X-com license is worth...

Think I read somewere that they are gonna make or maybe already have made a new game so probebly wont be cheap :p Tho I think it wont be like the old ones but one of these new console games were you just run around with a team.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »
I think another important thing is to make "tiers" of the weapons/armor/equipment that you have to "earn" through successful missions.  By looting alien spaceships, capturing alien corpses or even live aliens.  This should help to simulate the research aspect of the game.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »
Another thing, here are the types of missions the aliens go on:

Alien Research
Alien Harvest
Alien Abduction
Alien Infiltration
Alien Base
Alien Terror
Alien Retaliation
Alien Supply

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
Now that I've been playing X-COM all morning...  :D

It'd be interesting to adapt the shooting system.  Rather than weapons having a rate of fire, you could choose:

Aimed Shot - 2 Actions, 1D, -1 Dex when firing
Snap Shot - 1 Action, 1D, normal Dex
Auto Shot - 1 Action, 3D, +1 Dex

I think ammo would have to come into play though, or heavy weapons become a bit too powerful.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
I do agree that's a big part of the game, but I am hesitant to mess around with the core mechanics. 

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »

Priceless ;) 

But no, seriously, I think this would be a great business decision, I am in no way biased.  ;)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »
Think I read somewere that they are gonna make or maybe already have made a new game.

Two are in the works in fact, the first one has been on the radar for a while, simply titled XCOM is to be a first person shooter, only using one species of enemy. The response from reviewers playing the demo versions has not been great at all. Game is expected somewhere 2013

The other game which was only recently announced is going back to the roots, the info on it is sparse mostly limited to a few info pages as exclusives in magazines but what is known is that it has base building, a hex grid combat system and both old and new species of enemies. expected fall 2012 named XCOM: Enemy Unknown
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)