Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:40:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691295
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old School Miniatures Yahoo Group and journal.............  (Read 2364 times)

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Old School Miniatures Yahoo Group and journal.............
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »
Hope it's ok to post here....

A Yahoo Group dedicated to old school minis headed up by Scott Burnley. We are releasing a journal 3 times a year under the name of the Old School Fantasy Miniatures Amatuer Press Association......shortened to OSFMapa for ease of use! Currently 8 members and on the lookout for more - please visit the Yahoo Group at;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OSFMapa/

First journal has just been released with articles by all members.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: Old School Miniatures Yahoo Group and journal.............
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
The Golden Age is 12, of course!
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
The Golden Age is 12, of course!

???

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »
Hope it's ok to post here....

A Yahoo Group dedicated to old school minis headed up by Scott Burnley. We are releasing a journal 3 times a year under the name of the Old School Fantasy Miniatures Amatuer Press Association......shortened to OSFMapa for ease of use! Currently 8 members and on the lookout for more - please visit the Yahoo Group at;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OSFMapa/

First journal has just been released with articles by all members.

Hmm...  I have that wizard lying around somewhere and now and then again take it and the rest of his friends out of their confined storage space (aka battered 2nd hand grenadier boxes)  and look at them, always wondering when I will get around to painting them, which off course never happens ;)

I guess I'll have to visit this yahoo group :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:26:31 AM by Braxandur »
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »
???

The Golden Age of miniatures is 12.
The Golden Age of pop music is 14.
The Golden Age of comics is 8.

The age in years of the person defining the "golden age", rather than a calendar year.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
Nup, lost me there.....?
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
Oh, dear, I thought it was just a brief quip.

The idea is that there is no objective Golden Age.  We all have our own, based on nostalgia generated by our own life experience.  A worked example:  I was born in the mid-1960s, so for me it is early Ral Partha and Asgard that have that "Golden Age" glow, because I encountered them at a receptive age, just as my pop music Golden Age is full of the Clash, Elvis Costello, Blondie and Talking Heads.

Sorry, my earlier post really wasn't interesting enough to warrant all this exposition and thread diversion.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
Hi

I think it was interesting but perhaps disagree (if only slightly), not sure some of GW 1990s stuff can look good to anyone.

Binmann

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
Quote from: Braxandur

Hmm...  I have that wizard lying around somewhere and now and then again take it and the rest of his friends out of their confined storage space (aka battered 2nd hand grenadier boxes)  and look at them, always wondering when I will get around to painting them, which off course never happens ;)

Welcome to my world! I spend a lot of hobby time just looking through old boxes.....it's the joy of it for me.

Offline OldSchoolFantasy

• Lurker
  • CM OSFMapa
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »
Thanks Dave!

What a great idea to post here! Thanks, too, to all of you that have already visited our Yahoo! site! I hope you like what you see there, and decide to join us as full members in the project. The OSFMapa Journal is a really cool piece of work, and if you are a serious fan of old school minis, you will enjoy reading what our members have written there...

Please bear with me folks as I attempt to explain what the OSFMapa is all about...

The Old School Fantasy Miniatures Amateur Press Alliance (OSFMapa) is an APA.

An "APA" is an "Amateur Press Association", and they are groups of enthusiastic, like-minded fans that produce an "APAzine" (magazine) composed of articles written by the APA members about their particular field of interest. If you've never heard of APAs before, please take a moment and Google it. There's an excellent article about APAs on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_press_association) that explains what they are, how they work, and their long and illustrious history…

Basically, we're a bunch of serious old school miniatures fans that write articles about our miniatures obsessions, which we distribute to all of our members through our Journal compiled 3 times a year.

I've been a member of the CFAAPA (The Comics and Fantasy Art APA) for the past 7 years, and the ERBapa (The Edgar Rice Burroughs APA) for the past 3 years. The experience of participating in these 2 APAs has been very rewarding to me, and I started the OSFMapa to try and create a similar forum for fans of old fantasy miniatures. We started last September, and have just produced our first Journal (the cover of which Dave posted above).

This is a very young hobby, and there is a great deal of study and documentation to be done. We've all had similar experiences when we've found a previously unknown mini, and gone through the process of trying to ID the piece. It's very exciting when you find that rare figure that you've never even seen before! Many of the pieces I collect were never pictured in catalogs or ads, and finding conclusive evidence that my newly found figure is one of those "missing links" is collecting Nirvana…Id'ing figures and the "hunt" is not the only thing it's all about. It's also about the painting, the sculptors, the history, the games, the nostalgia, and all the other things we think about when we think about old fantasy minis. I'm a big fan of the Lost Minis Wiki, and I'm sure you are as well. It's creation was a blessing in our hobby, and it's indespensible as a resource for us all. The OSFMapa will prove to be an excellent companion to the LMW as it focuses a lot more on the who's, when's, and why's of fantasy miniatures as we delve into the history of the hobby.

If you would like to know more about the OSFMapa, please follow the link to our private Yahoo! group site (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OSFMapa/) where you can find an introductory FAQ, our rules, and our submission guidelines. You can also access the message base where many questions have already been answered.

Of course, I'll be glad to answer any questions about the OSFMapa you post here as well, and I can send you any of our documents (the FAQ, Rules, guidelines) via email as well.

Thanks for your interest in the OSFMapa. I hope you will join us!

Best,
Scott Burnley
CM OSFMapa
Scott B.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
Count me in!

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012