Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:59:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690887
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry new Greek Mythology section  (Read 9836 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Foundry new Greek Mythology section
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »
The only good that can come of this is if they release the excellent world of greeks packs that have been OOP for some time now. Though I would have expected them to do that already if they intend to do it.  :(

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
The rules are distinctly average, the background is sparse, the figures are poor, the painting is poor to average, the terrain making is poor, there is a lot of padding with over sized photos and unconnected adverts for other Foundry products (8 pages of ads at the back). I was very disappointed, there was nothing there that I wanted and absolutely nothing to inspire. There is nothing that makes it feel like a heroic or mythical Greek setting, no feel for the subject matter or the myths themselves, no understanding of the culture or the people or anything except a nod to heroes being sidetracked by wine and nymphs.
In fact, considering it now, it's absolute garbage.

thanks, Paul, looks like I better buy something else then.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »
Actually, having also purchased the book, I've found it to be quite underwhelming... It contains only the miniatures they have just released, which indicates to me that it is a bit of ploy to get some exposure for the new figures. They are quite poorly painted, which is not what I've come to expect from Foundry.

There are some nice pictures of terrain, but nothing spectacular. Some interesting rules for solo play, but I haven't read them through to be honest.

I did get a signed copy, though :) And free postage on the two packs of figures I purchased (one of the original Greek Myth sets still available, and an unrelated Swashbuckler's set).

Unfortunate, really...

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 03:43:13 AM »
Bollocks to them. I'm going to write my own rules  >:(

I would play those rules.

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 04:31:50 AM »
Well that's a bit disappointing.   I was going to get the book to give me free postage on some paints.   Looks like I may re think that now.
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline mr ed

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
The only good that can come of this is if they release the excellent world of greeks packs that have been OOP for some time now. Though I would have expected them to do that already if they intend to do it.  :(

They have re released a couple i think - certainly the Medea and Perseus set was OOP last Autumn when i put an order in, or at  least so deeply hidden in the website you couldn't find it - which is irritating seeing as now I'll have to do another one next time there's a 20% sale and i can find enough other stuff I want to make it worthwhile.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
Contrary to most of the posts, I've liked both the new figures and the painted examples featuring on the WF pages. The problem is that I'm stuck with my own Fantasy Greek project that uses 40mm Greek miniatures from a number of different manufacturers and I don't expect it to change.

I looked at purchasing the Tribes of Legend book, but have decided to stick with Typhon from Alternative Armies, not because it is better (I just don't know) but because I already have the book and paying out another £22.00 for similar rules just doesn't make sense to me or my pocket.  Plus there are a number of Greek Mythology rules available for free download and for the amount of occasions I will play games, I can live with it.

Good Luck to WF with this range, but I'm not one of your target customers.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »
Plus there are a number of Greek Mythology rules available for free download

Any links?

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 04:33:57 AM »
Labours of the Gods, while not free, is quite affordable (and not a bad little set).

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 05:48:18 AM »
Does anyone know who the new sculptor is?  Whoever, judging by the Amazons, he needs to get in more practice at sculpting women.

Some problems there with the older mythological figures as well.  As a none-too-wise man once suggested on another miniatures site once, there are sculptors who could benefit by starting with the basics, such as actually having *seen* women in a state of nature.  (I've heard that the Internet is useful for this...)  Judging by Hypsipyle (and setting aside the fact that there's no literary justification for her to be either bare-breasted or wielding a sword), the sculptor may only have been with inflatable versions.  However, Medea looks quite natural.

But I agree: on the whole, the new Amazons are shockingly bad.  The priestess pack is the worst. 

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 09:04:50 AM »
This blog post by Steve Buddle should be made compulsory reading for budding sculptors of women:
http://spyglassasylum.blogspot.com/2011/12/art-of-femme.html
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »
http://zadkin.free.fr/gates&gorgons.pdf

http://paizo.com/store/downloads/free/v5748btpy84e8

Hmm..the Gates&Gorgons is just another Dungeon game without any Greek Mythology references.

The other link...The New Argonauts is a RPG supplement for D20 System, also not quite what I expected.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
This is only a vague memory, but I seem to remember being quite taken with the way that Redoubt's "Before the Gates of Troy" rules handled divine intervention.