Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flag Sizes for 28mm Napoleonics  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Flag Sizes for 28mm Napoleonics
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »
I have almost finished painting my first bayyalion of 28mm Napoleonics, and now I am trying to figure out the size of the flags for the standard bearers. What would a reasonable length and width be for this scale?  Also, what wire thickness would be best for the pole or should I use something else instead? In looking at other people's figures here and elsewhere on the Internet, it looks like the flags might be around 1" to 1.25" in height (width), and about the same in length, but I am not completely sure. Also, what is the best way to make them look realistically wavy-like as if they are blowing in the beeze? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
Re: Flag Sizes for 28mm Napoleonics
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:38:09 AM »
Hi
Saw your post on TMP but as I'm banned I couldn't answer ,glad you came here too  :)so anyways here is how I do my flags.
First off I hand paint  mine. I take a piece of thin plasticard and hold it over a candle with tweezers.Not too close or it will melt but just enough for the plastic to get soft.Then i just bend it around with my finger till it looks like its waving in the breeze.
Then I glue it to the pole ,usually Northstars long spears.For SYW Prussian and Austrian flags I make them 30mm by 32mm,Russian 32 by 32. Napoleonic French 25 by 25 and nap Austrian 28 by 28.I'm actually not sure where I came up with these dimensians but they just "look" right to me.
Hope this helps.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »
Make them what ever you feels right for the period. I feel some periods look better with larger flags.

The flags i have been making for the David Imrie Medieval Scots are my largest todate at 40mm square. I doubt that this would have been the size but when they are on the Paul Hicks sculpts they look great.

Our British Naps are 34mm Square. This is larger again as the size for the British colours was 6ft 6 x 6ft which is about 28mm in 28mm scale. To me this wouldn't make the figures stand out like it should with the colours.

I did some Williamite Wars flags for a guy who wanted them in 45mm. So go with what ever you feel will be right mate. Do some splain ones on plain paper and see how they look then get drawing.

Good luck.

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnantīs Diary
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »
Make them what ever you feels right for the period. I feel some periods look better with larger flags.
Thatīs a good advice. A lot of flags in the exact scale will be very small, I like them big, too.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I keep seeing all these amazing figures and the flags are much larger than I thought they should be realistically, but boy do they look nice. The plastic card concept is quite interesting, but with my luck, I'll probably burn myself or set the house ln fire!! lol

As for cutting out plain white paper...I was thinking about doing this anyways, but thanks for recommending it again. Reinforcement to do something by "skilled veterans" is always helpful.

Again, thanks to all of you for your assistance and advice. Now I'll have to go experiment... ;)

Regards,
Hitman
 8)