Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:51:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm sci-fi tester "Better Red than Dead" (8 feb update with new test)  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
I've given up waiting for 20mm sci-fi and changed the label on my collection of kit of it to 15mm. A almost daily stream of releases makes it hard for me to keep ignoring it and I want to do sci-fi, dammit. Didn't make the Gunbird just to gather dust in Ireland.

So, a test to see if I can do this. In this case a 15mm droid, RB001 from The Scene.

Goodmorning class, be seated <sound of moving chairs>
Today we will discuss new intell about the Chinese Infantry Droids, and in particular the FA3 model, unofficially called Eggheads  <sounds of muffled laughter from class>. Durasteel outer shell, very efficient battery, packs a medium sized laser weapon and a CHMP-class AI system, these are programmed with a degree of flexibility. The Chinese have been using these as installation and colony guards for quite some time, but recent events have shown they can be used as field expedient combat troops as well. We assume this upgrade to come from the same, as yet unknown,  source as they acquired the specs for this droid from.  We do not have the full details, some claim this to be an upgrade called NV, but be aware that their capabilities have been increased. Rumours are circulating about support weapon variants, as well as comms and NCO’s.  Be wary men, we do not know what other types will be coming online in the future.

Now, I’ve heard chatter about their robots going rogue. Some even speak of a colony ship full of them vanishing , never to be seen again, and alien traders mentioning a colony run exclusively by bots in the Pitts system. Our intelligence is quite clear on this matter, this is all nonsense, FA3’s are not capable of this nor will they ever be as their processors can’t handle such independent thoughts.
And as a refresher, we will go over their weaknesses again <sighs from the students> …..

Excerpt Vidlog recording of Capt. Vandermeer, USA Training Academy, MARS, discussing new intell on the FA3 droid.

I've chosen the PRC as my force for, amongst others, TW.

Real size:

PRC decal is the smallest available 1/600 one from Doms Decals in the UK, the numbers are the smallest ones available from I-94 Decals in the US. Base is 1 Eurocent. Base unfinished due to this being a test.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:25:19 PM by wayswatcher »
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
Re: 15mm sci-fi tester "Better Red than Dead"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
Pretty darn cool!
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
Very nice mate! Doing the PLA as my first major force for TW to, although I can't find any suitably sized Chinese emblems to slap onto the side of my tanks!

Might have to check The Scene out again too if they are making bots like that!

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this thread develop!

I want to do something similar with TW myself (once I stop procrastinating!) so I'm going to enjoy this! I too have given up on the possibility of 20mm sci-fi, which is a shame. But, on the plus side, 15mm sci-fi just goes from strength to strength.

And thanks for reminding me that The Scene sell those cool droids! :D

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:57:24 PM »
@Brummie, the PRC decal is from Doms Decals 1/600 series. I think, for your tanks, the larger 1/300 series could be more useful? 2 Pounds a sheet and they last you a long time.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »
That is excellent work on the little fella and the decals REALLY make it special :).

Just a question, how good are Dom's decals to use?  I have a number of sheets on the way and was just wondering if I needed to do anything special with them to get the best from them.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:32 PM »
A real breeze. Cut it out, add a bit of water and wait 30-60 seconds. I always use the tip of my brush to transfer them to where I want em (always dampen that location a bit), put it in place and hit it with some setting solution. Never had any od Doms decals break on me. Do keep them in their sealbag when not in use, they scuff easily.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »
A real breeze. Cut it out, add a bit of water and wait 30-60 seconds. I always use the tip of my brush to transfer them to where I want em (always dampen that location a bit), put it in place and hit it with some setting solution. Never had any od Doms decals break on me. Do keep them in their sealbag when not in use, they scuff easily.

Cheers :) That's good news because I will need to apply hundreds of them  :o .

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:12:11 PM »
Yep. Top class stuff.
I got several 15mm WW2 Canadian decals from Dom and they are delightful.

You probably already now this, but for best results, use microset/-sol or similar product.
For the first step (microset)  you can also just apply a coat of gloss varnish to optimize the adhesion of the decal to the surface.
You only need the second step (microsol) on an irregular surface as it softens (almost melts) the decal so it falls into place.

danny
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »
Yup, never use decals without a layer of gloss first. I tend to skip the Set step because of it, but always do the Sol cause it really softens the edges of the decal as well. 1 coat of gloss over it and presto, looks painted on.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »
Yup, never use decals without a layer of gloss first. I tend to skip the Set step because of it, but always do the Sol cause it really softens the edges of the decal as well. 1 coat of gloss over it and presto, looks painted on.

Ah, good to know. It's just that recently I had a /72 model where a license plate decal slid down a bit after applying the sol  :(
Probably my bad. should've had the model stand on it's rear instead of upright.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »
After applying the decal I use a bit of tissue and press that on it, this removes a lot of the water and prevents decals adhering to the laws of gravity. Then I use a small drop of Sol and with a brush add that all over. Then, no matter what happens, don't toutch it again till it has dried (which can be pretty quickly). It is so easy to move or rip it when in this state. I then reapply if needed and if it is ok I'll gloss it over the next day, just to be sure it is fully dry.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
Second test complete and succesful.
Adding personality software to worker droid 614 wasn't his owners best idea. While doing repair work, 614 walked off and joined the army, cause he felt he would look better in green...

Combat droid 01 welcomes the arrival of 07, 28 and 53. He will ignore 614.

All 5 droids in my collection are now done, 1 has been converted to the worker droid I saw in the Pitts expansion of Fallout 3 (2 pieces of wire added to the back and a plasticcard sensor in the front of his head). Sadly the wash beld a bit into the yellow but he will do fine. I'm going to order a bunch more of these as they suit me very well, so more troops, a few more construction/worker droids and I'll paint 2 in Nuka Cola colours as well.

Decals: PRC - Doms Decals, Numbers - I-94 (the smaller 3 number ones are actually microarmour turret decals)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Re: 15mm sci-fi tester "Better Red than Dead" (8 feb update with new test)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »

:o

Very nice indeed! Love the deluded worker droid…

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: 15mm sci-fi tester "Better Red than Dead" (8 feb update with new test)
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
I feel your pain regarding 20mm scifi. I feel it'd be the perfect combination of table scale to miniature size. Be interesting to see how your project develops.
Duncan