Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:00:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Largest game - geometrically speaking...  (Read 2952 times)

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
Largest game - geometrically speaking...
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
Hi,

A quick question: What is the largest table you've played Strange Aeons on?

I'd be really curious to know how well it plays on, say, a table that is 4" x 3", or larger.

Any information you could share would be much appreciated!

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Re: Largest game - geometrically speaking...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:40:40 AM »
4" X 3" seems a bit small, is that 1/600 scale?  ;)

I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:24:53 AM »
oops! I meant 4 FEET by three FEET.

I'm thinking about putting some terrain together that would need more space that would comfortably fit on a 'standard' 2' x 3' table, and I'd really like to know how well larger tables work with the SA rules.

Plus, I could make a few 2'x3' generic landscapes that fit together and have a lot of variability for different games.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
Been playing a few multi-player games on bigger tables...4x3 and 4x6. No reason they won't work for a regular game as well. My only thought is the time it will take to get into the action. You may wish to include some extra stuff to do on a larger table with regular forces...extra stuff to search or objectives that need to be fulfilled. Either way, no reason it won't work. :)

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »
Board length only really impacts the length of the game, and to a small degree makes long-range weapons a bit more valuable.  The main issue is actually width, as once you get beyond the standard 2', positioning for Command becomes quite challenging.  Once you reach higher point value games and have the ability to buy multiple Command Lurkers, this becomes less of a problem.

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
I like the smaller table as well, although it is usually not as nice to look at.  What I appreciate with Strange Aeons is the quick action.  The larger the board, the longer the game.  I often find that large sections of the board go unused.  You could section the board off into smaller pieces.  You still get the look of the larger board.

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »
One idea I've always liked is to build a 4x3 board, which opens up a lot more possibilities in terms of design, but creating it in such a fashion that you can choose any 2' segment for your game and get some real variety out of the board.  Alternatively, if a few friends are around, you can run two games simultaneously on the one board, or use the whole surface for a multiplayer game.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
Been playing a few multi-player games on bigger tables...4x3 and 4x6. No reason they won't work for a regular game as well. My only thought is the time it will take to get into the action. You may wish to include some extra stuff to do on a larger table with regular forces...extra stuff to search or objectives that need to be fulfilled. Either way, no reason it won't work. :)

Could you please elaborate on those multiplayer games? How many players and models per side? :)

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
Could you please elaborate on those multiplayer games? How many players and models per side? :)

A late addition to the ever-growing tome that is Morbid Adventures!  Multiplayer is quite scaleable, and can theoretically operate anywhere from a "normal" sized game (15-30BP) to 100BP plus.  Number of players per side is completely open: for example, with four players, you could just as easily operate 2-vs-2 as have three Threshold players versus one massive Lurker force controlled by a single evil mastermind.

I should clarify that Mike has designed the Multiplayer rules around two Threshold players versus either one or two Lurker opponents, but I see no reason why the numbers couldn't be expanded further.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:32:04 PM by LidlessEye »

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
Interesting!

I think I will solve the 'We're so far apart!' problem by imposing a 'Models per table quadrant' requirement.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
What would be almost interesting is to create a quest table with multiple missions on it, each mission has an applied point cost and the team moves from one to the other...so for example you could take X point team, then setup each mission for them to hit....recover X relic, stop a ritual and kill X for example...
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »
A late addition to the ever-growing tome that is Morbid Adventures!  Multiplayer is quite scaleable, and can theoretically operate anywhere from a "normal" sized game (15-30BP) to 100BP plus.  Number of players per side is completely open: for example, with four players, you could just as easily operate 2-vs-2 as have three Threshold players versus one massive Lurker force controlled by a single evil mastermind.

I should clarify that Mike has designed the Multiplayer rules around two Threshold players versus either one or two Lurker opponents, but I see no reason why the numbers couldn't be expanded further.

Perfect, because I exlcuseively play with me as the evil player vs. two friends as the heroes, be it Last Night on Eart, Descent or Doom: The Board Game :D