Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:30:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Slaves to Darkness (added final battle)  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
Slaves to Darkness (added final battle)
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »
Deep in a dark and desolate part of the chaos wastes the ground started breaking up. Some of the rotten bleak trees that were weeping blood slowly started to topple over as rocks get pushed out of the earth. Some of rock looked like they were carved as bog skulls. As the other rocks, earth and mud fell away, slowly an old temple was rising. One of the legendary temple of skulls was bursting from the earth. Unholy Power flowed like the wind through trees en columns alike. Slowly in the middle of the temple, a form solidified. A malign darkness surrounded the temple making it hard to observe what was forming. Slowly the darkness setlled, leaving a casket that had en unearthly glow. It was only clear that whatever the dark gods had created was very powerfull and a boon for any warlord to be on the deamonic battlefields and beyond.

Lighting suddenly struk from the bloodred sky and the presence of the casket was announced. Let the games begin!

And so started our weekend as we tried our hands at having a fun gaming session as playthings of the dark gods, with one player using the Storm of Chaos Slaanesh cult list and the other the krhornate army from Slaves to Darkness...

The first scenario was a chance meeting by two of the smaller (750 points) warbands of the warlords. The idea was to slaughter as many models from the opposite site. For every 100 VP (rounded up) a player got a reward roll in the main battle. The general needed at least one roll on the character reward table. Units rolled on the dominant atributes table. We used the tables from Slaves to Darkness. No characer/unit was allowed to have multiple rewards.

The second scenarios was a meeting of the scouting forces (750 points) trying to break trhough to the other side. Every unit being in the opposite deployment zone automatically took place in the last battle. Units that were not in the deplyoment zone showed up on a 4+. The troops from the winner showed up on turn 2 and those of the loser in turn 3.

The last battle we were fighting to obtain the casket that was pressent on the temple of skulls. As soon as a unit toched the casket, a war shrine solidified beneath it. The unit capturing it, also immediatly got a roll on the dominant atributes table...  Should the war shrine be destroyed by the other side, then a new shrine formed and control of it would change hands and a new attribute had to be rolled. Attributes rolled earlier were not removed and remained in play. We decided that the casket could not be detroyed, but that the shrine did not have a ward save.  Both of us had 2500 points.

The first battle saw on one side:
1 Chaos dwarf hero, with a flaming sword, enchanted shield and chaos armour. (we actually used runic items, but does not matter a lot for the game)
40 chaos goblins
20 marauders of khorne with hand weapon and shield.
8 chaos hounds,
4 chaos trolls
1 chaos chariot

and on the other side:

18 marauders of slaanesh
12 Devoted (we used corsairs for this) with a lvl 2 magic user
5 dark riders
5 deamonettes on Steeds of Slaanesh
6 Shades

The master of madness is standing in the middle of the (chaos) goblin horde. Probably they are all bickering, if only because they were pressed into service before getting a good paint job :)

The forces of Khorne were clearly allready in some sort of frenzy, because they claimed the first turn and did nothing else then running towards the line of the decadent followers of Slaanesh, who only smiled at this predictable behavior.

Both overall commanders looked at each other and decided that the time was right the bring out the baggage train:

Moving in a fashion as only the drug induced can, the main units of the slaaneshi force pulled back while beautiful and at the same time disturbing deamonettes tried circling around the khornate forces. On the other flank, the  dark riders tried the same and also loosened a few shots at the marauders.

During all the manouvering the Blood gods followers started frothing in the mouth and started to come really close, while a chariot tried to guard the rear of the battle line, where the mounted deamonettes were treatening to circle around the army and strike from behind

Calmly the ground troops of Slaanesh stepped back a few feet.

The Khornate forces quickly covered this distance as well:

It was charge or be charged for the Slaaneshi corasirs, who decided to take their chance, while the marauders would cover their flank.

The Chariot in the meanwhile positioned itself between the chaos goblins and the deamonettes on steeds, a noble sacrifice, which  kept the deamonettes at bay for another turn

Some of the corsairs must have stumbled, since they didn't really move far

While the corsairs did not reache the line, they came clearly within range of the khorne forces and the entire battleline of blood crazed manics started to prepare for charging their hated foes:

All the adrenaline pumping in their veins made them quite fast:

Not completly unsuprsing, the khorne force hit the slaaneshi line as a cannonball.

Leaving no survivors on the other side, bathing in blood and glory

In the last turns, the dark riders shot the unit of marauders to smithereens

Before charging them and wiping them out in the last turn of the game

While we had to count to see how many gifts/attributes each of us would get in the final battle, it was clearly a victory for Khorne.

The Khorne followers ended up with 6 "gifts" and the Slaaneshi with 4
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:46:20 AM by Braxandur »
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
Re: Slaves to Darkness (Battle 1)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
I loved those two old chaos books. Had some great games with them back in the day. I still look at them tearily from time to time...

Enjoyed the batrep! I'd like to see more.

Khorne will favour you more highly if you paint those goblins...  ;)
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
    • There's No More Room In Hell
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:06:05 PM »
Lovely old school goodness! :-*
If I may ask a question, what are those gobbo's in the front rank of the unit, flanking the master of madness??

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »
Both overall commanders looked at each other and decided that the time was right the bring out the baggage train:

Good taste there my man! :D That baggage train alone must have provided a wonderful evening!

von der Tann
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
That baggage train alone must have provided a wonderful evening!

Yep, although I've learned that it's not a great idea to:

1) Place a six-pack straight out of freezer on a grass mat.
2) Make a "let's move there" gesture right after filling a tall goblet of wine on the said mat.

Both took place in the very first game on the grass tables I had built. On a positive side, after creative repairs, they no longer look like a well trimmed golf course...

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
Very cool report Braxandur! I'm looking forward to the next two installments, but for now this was a very cool report!

Lovely old school goodness! :-*
If I may ask a question, what are those gobbo's in the front rank of the unit, flanking the master of madness??

I'm curious about this as well. 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
Fun looking games.
Sad to read about your spills.
Look at it as the Gods of Choas marking their world. :D
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
Fun sounding game - especially with all those attributes. Still yet to get my hands on those old Chaos tomes!  >:D

On a positive side, after creative repairs, they no longer look like a well trimmed golf course...

I'll have to remember that next time I need to wear in a grass mat!  lol

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
Thanks all, for the kind words. We had a very good time playing and after writing the report I felt just as I'd played it all over again.

The "Chaos Goblins" are actually pre painted Rackham plastics. Good plastic since I can just use a file on it to remove and mould lines:

I bought 80 of these guys for less then 40 euros from Ludikbazar, where they are still available. I also bought a big bag of nemesis clones to use as crypt horrors, not knowing how big huge these guys actually are. Putting them together in one unit might prove tricky...  :?

I'll will be going for khorne's favor. Possibly even during the LPL ;)

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
    • There's No More Room In Hell
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »
 :o love em!! 80 you say? you couldn't possibly need all of them...... ::)

;)

EDIT;
Sorry, misread your post, thought you said when they were still available..  never mind! ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:41:57 PM by Rochie »

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
:o love em!! 80 you say? you couldn't possibly need all of them...... ::)

;)

EDIT;
Sorry, misread your post, thought you said when they were still available..  never mind! ;D

:D
Hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do!

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
As the day can not only be won be gaining favour of the dark gods, Both generals thought it wise to send out flanking forces, which could enter during the last battle starting from turn two or three. We send both scouting forces against each other to see how many models would be participating.

In this battle the Khornate force consisted of:
8 warhounds
32 beastmen
3 minotaurs
1 Gorebull

The Slaaneshi forces brought with them:
1 mounted sorceres
6 shades
8 mounted deamonettes
6 Dark Riders
18 marauders of Slaanesh
1 Slaanesh chaos spawn

After deployment, the Slaaneshi fast cavalry made a vanguard move and the scouts showed up in the ruined tower

The followers of slaanesh were blessed by a having a bright light shining behind them, blinding the beasts of Khorne and granting them the first turn. I think is was the flash from my opponent, Dr. Evil his camera...

Rapid redeployemnt of the fast cavalry was followed by a bucketload of shots.

"Luckily" the minotaurs only got two wounds, which did not even take one of the brutes down

The chaos hounds were less lucky, but as the rabid dogs they were, they stayed their ground very cold blooded.

As in the former battle, the Khorne boys did the only thing they learned in battletactics 101, which was running forward towards the enemy

Madly running forwards against a very manoevrable opponent might not have been the best choice and soon there were Dark elves and deamons on both flanks, shooting down even more of Khorne's chosen.

Seeing that they probably would not get into a lot of combat by choice, the followers of Khorne began a mad dash towards the opposite side of the table, to join the main battle, where, more blood would be flowing and the field of battle would probably be so crowded that outmanouvring would be much more difficult.

The deamonettes however would not let the minoataurs go and together with the fiend they charged in flank and rear.

While the minotaurs did there utmost best and killed a total of one deamonette, this did not prove to be enough the win the combat and the minotaurs got overrun easily by the fast cavalry.

The need to completly pulverize the Minotaurs however had a small disadvantage. Probably some parts of the minotaurs were so impressive that the deamonettes neglect to watch their flank, in which the beastmen charged without an hesitation.

In the meanwhile the shades, sorceres and dark riders moved towards the other side of the table, preparing for the last battle.

While the beastmen had easily taken care of the deamonettes, they got stuck in the Chaos spawn. In 5 combar rounds they didn'tmanage to put a single wound in it and in the end even broke, running through the marauders and dying miserable, resulting in some sort of warped effect in the chaos wastes, which is off course the reason that the next two pictures look a bit weird...

Fortune seemed to favour Slaanesh the second battle.

We decided that every unit not in the enemies deployment zone at the end of the game, would only show up in the last battle on a 4+. The troops of the winning side would show up in turn two and the troops from the losing side in turn 3. We would only roll to see who would show up during the last battle, at the moment that they could, to keep as a surprise for us which units we would got as a bonus.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: Slaves to Darkness (added 2nd battle)
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »
Another gripping instalment!

I like the idea of rolling to see who turns up in the final battle - very chaotic!

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »
Very cool! So who won the second battle in the end? I'm looking forward to the big final bash! 8)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 08:07:24 AM »
As the Khorne forces did not have any models left on the table at the end of the battle, I guess that the Slaaneshi forces won that battle...   :'(