Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:08:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GAH! I done gone an' fell fer it!  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Meier_Elf_Fanatic

• Mastermind
  • I am of course, a nomad of the time streams.
    • The Life And Times Of A Gaming Geek
GAH! I done gone an' fell fer it!
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »
Oh dear... I have at last gone to the dark side

This weekend I shall be purchasing Chinese Warlord and British Army in India forces.

Chinese based on those shown here:

http://www.nick101.f9.co.uk/Projects/CCW.htm

And the British will be based on 'Section Leading in Attack and Defence' 1923 printing wherein it states that a British Platoon comprised 2 Lewis gun and 2 rifle sections each section being 7 strong. 4 Platoons making up a company and 3 of said companies making the battalion with the addition of a fourth company comprising 16 Vickers.

So I am planning a two platoon formation with a pair of R.R armoured cars and two Vickers detached from Battalion.

My thanks to the godlike John Armatys for his assistance with the British. Generally, if it doesn't carry a pike, I am lost!
If you intend to bugger about in the time stream, dress accordingly!

Conflict In Colour - Knocking out painted armies for the connoisseur since about 8AM.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: GAH! I done gone an' fell fer it!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »
Your Brits are going to have a lot of firepower! You'll have to paint hordes and hordes of Chinese to make up for it...

I wasn't aware of "Section Leading in Attack and Defense" until you mentioned it - is it available in PDF anywhere online? I've had a quick look for it in some of the usual places (Google Books, Archive.org, etc) and can't find it.

(although I did learn that it might be amongst the holdings of our local university library, which is kind of cool)

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
It is a military pamphlet. Mr Armatys collects them and is , as many may know something of a leading light and all-round gentleman scholar.

Unfortunately I have also decided to purchase a load of the American North Russian Expeditionary Force.

Oh woe is me for the fate of my wallet...

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
Well I placed my order last night and wangled a 15% discount...

So, £300 later and poorer I have put together:

British 3 platoon company (a fourth platoon will be added in May) based on the 'war time' 22 man platoons which just happen to divide down nicely using the Copplestone 10 fig packs. take out 1 figure and add a lewis gun and split into two sections. The spare figure added to an officer gives the platoon command.

I've added a pair of vickers and a pair of Rolls A/Cs to give it a bit of variety.

I'll end up painting them as the Camerons I think as I have the album belonging to my wife's grandfather who was posted in India during the inter-war period and there's a lot of great photos of the unit and it's members in various uniform during that time. I've got permission to scan the album so I look forward to sharing it here.

The Chinese Warlord army nearly go out of hand, but in the end I simply copied the composition of the force shown on the Somerset Wargamer site removing the White Russians and replacing with Big Sword troops. I also added 10 cavalry, a couple of mounted officers and Izhorski -Fiat A/C.

I'll be adding a couple of units of White Russians in May and a couple of advisors for colour

Aircraft and lorries will also be added as I see fit, but as they will be 'fun' to paint they'll be done after the toil of the rank and file.

Now I just have to manage to wait patiently for the postie to arrive :)

Offline Jim French

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
Now all you need is artillery.  Any self-respecting Warlord in the mold of Tseng Kuo fan would have at least a battery of French 75s.  Or maybe German 77s since the Germans trained a lot of Chinese between the wars.